Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 07:44 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times

Advertisements

I have known several people who have suffered from shingles, and believe you me, they would have given you their very last dime not to have suffered the way they did. I think that there are far worse things to "waste" money on than to pay $200 for it. Kinda Murphys law, if you don't build that spare bedroom, he can't move in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 07:49 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Our insurance paid for it, $224 per shot, very grateful, know ppl , including spouse, who had outbreaks. Our previous insurance did not pay for any adult vaccinations.

Why risk it? You can have shingles IN YOUR EYE!
Yep, that is where I had it, in my early 40s. My insurance company covered it starting at age 50, and I was chomping at the bit. Did you know that you can get shingles multiple times? I am so relieved to be vaccinated now, and would have gladly paid out of pocket if my insurer didn't cover it at the earliest age it was medically approved for.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:57 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Consider this:

"There are no long-term studies showing how long the vaccine is effective in 50 to 59 year olds. In adults vaccinated at age 60 years or older, protection from the vaccine decreases within the first 5 years after vaccination. Protection beyond 5 years is uncertain; therefore, adults receiving the vaccine before age 60 years might not be protected when their risks for shingles and its complications are greatest." Shingles | Vaccination | Herpes Zoster | CDC

Old 02-21-2015, 08:17 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Consider this:

"There are no long-term studies showing how long the vaccine is effective in 50 to 59 year olds. In adults vaccinated at age 60 years or older, protection from the vaccine decreases within the first 5 years after vaccination. Protection beyond 5 years is uncertain; therefore, adults receiving the vaccine before age 60 years might not be protected when their risks for shingles and its complications are greatest." Shingles | Vaccination | Herpes Zoster | CDC
There are currently studies underway looking at the efficacy and safety of a booster vaccine. My prediction is that by the time I reach 60, standard of care will be for a booster every 5 to 10 years, and I'll be able to get one then. But given how debilitating having shingles was for me, including a small but permanent loss of vision in the affected eye, it was absolutely worth it IMO.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:33 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
First I just wish to remind you that IF you never in your life had chicken pox..You will never endure a "Shingle Episode"...now..as for those who have had it are at highest risk over 60 years of age..however due to a myriad of medical reason's taking this shot is highly risky..I', posting the PDF on it's informations from Merck Pharmaceutical....But anyone receiving immunosuppressants..as in Prednisone, Remicade, Enbrel, chemo, radiations etc....MUST NOT get it..This vaccine contains Live Virus along with ingredients that boost your immune system..and like any other vaccine may need boosters down the road..ohh yeah..If you happen to have an allergy to Neomycin (antibiotic) too.. It should be an informed decision..so not only ask your treating physician..but look into the family dynamics as well...If the costs outweigh the benefits..???

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_...stavax_ppi.pdf
snippet~
Who should not get ZOSTAVAX?
You should not get ZOSTAVAX if you:
 are allergic to any of its ingredients.
 are allergic to gelatin or neomycin.
 have a weakened immune system (for example, an immune deficiency, leukemia, lymphoma, or
HIV/AIDS).
 take high doses of steroids by injection or by mouth.
 are pregnant or plan to get pregnant.
You should not get ZOSTAVAX to prevent chickenpox.
Children should not get ZOSTAVAX.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:47 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
There are currently studies underway looking at the efficacy and safety of a booster vaccine. My prediction is that by the time I reach 60, standard of care will be for a booster every 5 to 10 years, and I'll be able to get one then. But given how debilitating having shingles was for me, including a small but permanent loss of vision in the affected eye, it was absolutely worth it IMO.
It is certainly a personal decision, but it is always best to be informed of and consider the potential risk. Interestingly, one of my children had shingles when he was ten years old. Hopefully those studies regarding the vaccine's efficacy will be completed before he hits the ripe old age of fifty!

Old 02-21-2015, 09:21 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
^^^Oh, no, your poor son! That had to be awful!

Old 02-22-2015, 12:37 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Glad to hear they are working on a booster shot. If one is marketed, or if a simple revaccination after X years is approved, I'll be in line.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:23 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
I actually had the chicken pox twice! First as a child, and then again in my early 50's. When I got the rash, I could not believe that it was chicken pox knowing I had already had it, but sure enough, it was. Dr stated that it is not all that unusual for someone that did not have a "hard" case of chicken pox to have a reoccurrences, so I was REALLY anxious to get the shingles vaccine to protect myself since I had the virus again so late in life.

I could not help but wonder if I would have had that later case of them had I not been a nurse and exposed to it somewhere along the line at work.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:31 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I didn't want to hijack the other shingles thread so....

Seem like you can't get reimbursed until age 60 and it's relatively expensive at around $200, from what I hear. I had a bad case of chickenpox when I was in high school and I hear such terrible things about shingles that I don't really want to wait.

What have folks experienced in terms of getting the shot earlier than typically recommended/reimbursed?
I had the chicken pox as a child, and at age 17, I had shingles too!
I don't know if that makes me "immune to it" or not, but my Dr. agreed I should get the vaccine sooner than later.

I had NO PROBLEM my insurance covered it all for me.
However, MOH's {My Other Half} Insurance WON'T COVER until age 60, either. Seems its about $200 to get it. SO at 56, MOH will just have to wait and hope to NOT get it, Or we will eventually pony up the money for it. Dont know yet, MOH has not made up mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement