Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 04:39 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Thanks for the feedback - I have considered both the tax implications of the sale (we do meet the 2 of the last 5 years rule) and also having taxable income which will cause SSI earnings to be taxed.

One question though - Aren't there limits to what we can contribute to Roth since hubby isn't working?
Limits are by joint income by filing status:

Amount of Roth IRA Contributions That You Can Make For 2015

My point was, if you're working and were planning on maxing out tax-deferred accounts - make some of those deposits into a Roth, instead. You give up the tax break now, but gain later. Doubtful your tax bracket will be lower in retirement.

On your end, you can deposit $6,500 yearly.

Retirement Topics - IRA Contribution Limits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 06:04 PM

One further comment on this, when I worked, my employer offered both Roth and tax-deferred 401ks. Another way of getting more money into a Roth - beyond the IRA limit - is if you, too, have that option - i.e., a Roth 401k.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:54 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Moonlady has 200k cash - not bonds - and is wondering how to deploy this cash. She doesn't mention bonds anywhere that I can see in either of her two posts (unless I missed something) - but does talk about increased deposits to tax-deferred vehicles - no mention of bonds.
The term "investment portfolio" suggested that some bonds are included, but maybe there aren't any - it could be 100% stock I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Gotta be careful of withdrawals from tax-deferred vehicles - all kinds of tax consequences.
As long as you don't do too much in any single year and are over age 59 1/2, it should be fine.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:57 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
See, that's the situation! The tax benefit is only a small portion of the benefit of keeping the mortgage. Think about the liquidity and the inflation hedge AND the extra money! Spend some of it! No prize for prepaying your living expense for the next 100 years when you're only gonna be around 15-20!
Who here said they have a 100 year mortgage?

Old 04-23-2015, 07:42 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Maybe I should start a separate thread for this, but... WHAT do I do with $300k sitting in the bank earning less than one percent interest if I plan to use that money in the next 2-5 years to purchase oceanfront property and therefore need to keep it liquid? I was hoping that question would be answered here...

Old 04-23-2015, 10:16 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Maybe I should start a separate thread for this, but... WHAT do I do with $300k sitting in the bank earning less than one percent interest if I plan to use that money in the next 2-5 years to purchase oceanfront property and therefore need to keep it liquid? I was hoping that question would be answered here...
Any reason why you couldn't purchase the property now and rent it out?

Old 04-23-2015, 10:22 AM

I've spent two years trying to decide on a location and haven't been able to. Everyone tells me it would be NUTS to purchase long-distance, without visiting and preferably spending time there first, but I cannot travel until I retire in a couple of years. Hence, my plan is to spend a year or two RVing along the coast looking for just the right property. I've also heard that vacation homes - strictly as an investment - aren't all that (too many expenses involved), but of course it would also at that time become my primary residence. I would continue to rent it out during peak season, traveling to other locations during that time, to supplement my retirement income.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:23 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Any reason why you couldn't purchase the property now and rent it out?

Ditto especially if you are paying outright with little or no mortgage.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:31 AM

Yes, and that was my plan; maybe I should continue looking. Especially if there's no other viable option other than letting the money stagnate in the bank.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
As long as you don't do too much in any single year and are over age 59 1/2, it should be fine.
Moonlady is talking about paying off a mortgage - which would be a 'large' cash withdrawal which will negatively impact taxation of SS benefits which hubby is (now age 65) or will soon be withdrawing - which is why my recommendation was to keep that money in an account where there would be no tax consequences should they decide to pay off the mortgage.

Generally, with two income people, one of whom is still working (or not) and one on SS, or dual pensions and dual SS, additional withdrawals from tax-deferred accounts can result in 85% of SS benefits being taxable - possibly kick one into an even higher tax bracket and/or trigger the AMT - depending on overall income. It doesn't take much add'l income for SS benefits to become 85% taxable. A six figure taxable withdrawal would do it, for sure - not to mention bracket creep/AMT - which is why many people embark on Roth conversions after retirement.

Or, best said, here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Once you retire you really have no retirement account just bigger savings and investments. The only real issue is tax rates etc.
Another thread on the issue:

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...t-savings.html

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-23-2015 at 12:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement