Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:30 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times

Advertisements

I was struck by this just today. We enjoy the same TV shows pretty much. We've always had very similar values and priorities. But today, I also notice we often order the same food. We were at IHOP, and just had the exact same thing, even right down to have the eggs over easy. Its weird sometimes, but nice. We rarely fight over anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 05:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Better for you perhaps that your spouse is more like you than like her mother, LOL.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:04 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
We've always had the same big interests, ever since we got together in college as fine arts/graphic design majors. From a very young age, 19 and 21, we've shared a passion for (and have made, exhibited and sold) visual art, and we love classical and chamber music (traditional and contemporary), opera, same kinds of films. I dislike certain composers whereas he loves them. He would not attend a jazz concert or dance performance whereas I do. I go to writers' readings whereas he'd fall asleep at one.

We do disagree a lot, mostly how to approach major undertakings (he, in his head calmly intuitive and me, overly thinking and too much planning).

We both love going to Maine and often look at each other (any time of year) as if to say let's play hooky and hop in the car and...

As seniors we both live for our dogs and take good care of them. Oh and our kids and grandkids, the loves of our lives. When we're with them we're definitely on the same page.

We rarely argue anymore. We seem to understand how important it is to keep the peace at our age. We try to stay healthy by our mutual interest in good food and being outdoors. He gardens, I watch from my chair in the shade.

Renovating an old forlorn house has been one of our passions. We have a similar vision about how to do that. We are do-it-yourselfers on a carefully planned (moi) budget and have brought to life three houses, and no more!

Not sure we're meant for each other though, lol.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:30 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,648 times
My wife of 30 years is my twin. We like to eat the same things, watch the same TV shows and movies, and have the same interests for discussions. We almost never argue about anything. Some times we are sitting around and start talking about the same subjects simultaneously.

We spend 15-20 hours a day together. When my wife craves something special to eat, I will automatically make the 25 mile drive to town to get it for her, she will do the same for me.

We are amazingly alike.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:46 AM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,804 times
No way. Different foods and different TV shows.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:47 AM

206 posts, read 240,834 times
My wife (39 years this week) has always been my best friend too.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:31 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
My wife of 30 years is my twin. We like to eat the same things, watch the same TV shows and movies, and have the same interests for discussions. We almost never argue about anything. Some times we are sitting around and start talking about the same subjects simultaneously.

We spend 15-20 hours a day together. When my wife craves something special to eat, I will automatically make the 25 mile drive to town to get it for her, she will do the same for me.

We are amazingly alike.
^^^Same here, that's why we married each other.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
We are very different and no TV! But... we enjoy / tolerate similar interests.
We are both frugal, give generously of time and money, and seriously into travel... (will eat / spend minimally to travel / gift more). No questions about our 'purpose / pursuits'.

We are happy to be very are different and can use that diversity to benefit each other (sometimes a stretch) and our friends / service work to others.

We each respect our space and responsibilities (eldercare / siblings). Some yrs we are apart a lot to meet individual responsibilities. (8 months apart last yr, met every other month in some country or another to rest and do a service project for others / family)

35 yrs this week (we are pretty young at this). Learning more about forgiveness / grace each day. MUCH more mellow these days. Crisis' will come

trust = 100% (in decisions and relationship). Neither one of us are willing to put another spouse through this battle! We will not live long enough to 'train' up another. (Or change each other).

Old 05-06-2015, 12:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
For us it's just over 40 years. While I think you must have a lot in common to stay together that long, we still maintain our own individual differences, and sometimes compromise is required. That's how I end up following her into quilt shops, while she will come with me to car shows. For those TV shows that only one of us enjoys, we simply record on the DVR and watch when the other is not around. If she wants to see a "chick flick" she can go with one of our adult daughters or a friend. When I'm fishing she can sit and read. I like cooking and she doesn't mind doing the dishes, so in some ways we compliment each other for the best.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Yep; and I have long been meaning to sit her down and have a long talk with her about it. Quite borrowing my stuff woman; I'll title it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement