Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 09:46 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,530,858 times

Advertisements

We have long discussed setting up a LLC, to own our home, and bank accounts [with our names. mine and my DW, on the checks.

Then naming; myself, DW and children, each as joint-owners and members of the board of the LLC.

If the corporation owns all of it, then when either [or both] of us pass, the corporation will still own it and be ran by the remaining board members [ie, the children].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 12:52 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,506,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If the corporation owns all of it, then when either [or both] of us pass, the corporation will still own it and be ran by the remaining board members [ie, the children].
That's a great idea, Sub! We went with a land trust for all of our real properties. Our vehicles and other chattels are owned by an LLC. Definitely look into a land trust before you decide on your property! It may or not work for you; it worked out great for us!

Old 06-06-2015, 11:53 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,046,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We have long discussed setting up a LLC, to own our home, and bank accounts [with our names. mine and my DW, on the checks.

Then naming; myself, DW and children, each as joint-owners and members of the board of the LLC.

I'm by no means an expert in this area, but I've always been under the impression that putting your primary residence in an LLC was an exceedingly bad idea tax-wise. For one, I believe you would lose your $250k/$500k capital gains exemption. Secondly, your children wouldn't receive a stepped-up basis when they inherited the home. And finally, I believe you also lose your homestead exemption when you transfer the property into the LLC (at least in some states).

I haven't looked into this in quite awhile, so the laws might have changed and/or I could be way off on this, but at least I thought I'd throw those issues out there for you to at least look into them if you're going to follow-through with such a course of action.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:10 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,530,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I'm by no means an expert in this area, but I've always been under the impression that putting your primary residence in an LLC was an exceedingly bad idea tax-wise. For one, I believe you would lose your $250k/$500k capital gains exemption.
You can only take advantage of that, when you sell. Selling a large expensive house, to shift to a smaller less expensive house is the idea for that to work.

It remains our intent to stay here until we die, so we will never use our exemption.

Quote:
... Secondly, your children wouldn't receive a stepped-up basis when they inherited the home.
The cost-basis on the home would depend a lot of when you put it into the LLC, either early or later.

I often think in terms of Multi-Family-Residences, I forget how it works for Single-Family-Residences. We went through four MFRs before we cashed out and bought this home.

Quote:
... And finally, I believe you also lose your homestead exemption when you transfer the property into the LLC (at least in some states).

I haven't looked into this in quite awhile, so the laws might have changed and/or I could be way off on this, but at least I thought I'd throw those issues out there for you to at least look into them if you're going to follow-through with such a course of action.
You likely would lose the Homestead Exemption, ours is $10,000 reduction on the tax assessment.
Our Mil Rate is 0.00866 so our property taxes are reduced by $86/year. You would likely lose that reduction.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:05 PM

231 posts, read 495,691 times
When only daughter was born, I purchased shares of bank stock in the name of a trust for her benefit. Dividend income was/is used for her benefit. The value has risen from $185 share to $1500 share and with the dividends has about a 10% ROE. Now thinking about using the income for the education (private school) for her children. Her college costs were entirely paid for via investments made in her name..UGMA.

Glad OP began this thread.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:17 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,506,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbill View Post
When only daughter was born, I purchased shares of bank stock in the name of a trust for her benefit. Dividend income was/is used for her benefit. The value has risen from $185 share to $1500 share and with the dividends has about a 10% ROE. Now thinking about using the income for the education (private school) for her children. Her college costs were entirely paid for via investments made in her name..UGMA.
That was a great return!

Private school is now becoming a hot issue. Opinions differ, but I think we can all agree that public schools produce mixed results, at best. 4 of our 6 grandchildren are in parochial schools. The other 2 are in public schools in a small, rural community, and are doing quite well with it. In the cities, it may not be so good.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:56 PM

6,634 posts, read 7,369,018 times
Consider using a trust for all of your property when you both are dead. The children can be the trustee. Pay out to the grandchildren as their needs dictate.
If you have the funds you could help pay tuition now. Pay the school directly to avoid gift taxes.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times
We thought we would only have one grandchild, and we set up a college fund shortly after birth. We were happily surprised when we got our second grand, and we set up a college fund again. The accounts are FBO funds set up through a brokerage, and added to every month.

Additionally, we have designated a percentage of our estate for the two little ones, not to exceed a certain amount of money, and to be used only for educational purposes.

We now give our kids and spouses small monetary gifts for birthdays and Christmases, because money always fits!

And I help with school clothes expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement