Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 06:32 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,045,409 times

Advertisements

My agency sent an e-mail today saying that they will be sending snail mail later, when they are ready. And hold off calling in to the contractor as they are swamped and will have more call answerers and better internet access later....implying that things will be better if we wait until after we get our letters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 09:54 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,690,791 times
Wanted to check our credit report. We do this annually. Received a letter from TransUnion that they can't find my husband's data. My husband wants to know why the Chinese can steal his data from OPM but TransUnion can't find his data.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:51 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,045,409 times
The Chinese are erasing him...soon they will pick him up and there will be no record of his existence. And THEN they will question him and torture him with Hip-Hop music 24 hours a day until they know precisely how many paperclips the US government buys each year!

Old 07-02-2015, 09:48 AM

426 posts, read 507,443 times
OPM has stopped all emails because hackers were sending the same people fake emails. All correspondence will now be by snail mail.

Here is the article: Feds warn: Hackers sending fake emails to OPM hack victims | TheHill

Old 07-02-2015, 12:29 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,426,090 times
I am active Fed employee and got notified by email from both OPM and my employer - nothing in snail mail. DH is retired and got OPM notification.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,668,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycat View Post
OPM has stopped all emails because hackers were sending the same people fake emails. All correspondence will now be by snail mail.

Here is the article: Feds warn: Hackers sending fake emails to OPM hack victims | TheHill
LOL..first the big hack and now the hackers hacking the hacked.

And it has not been proven that it was the Chinese government.
For all we know it could have been any government as the US had gotten caught spying on our allies and gathering their data.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:02 AM

7,893 posts, read 11,451,703 times
How can anyone wonder why some do not trust the fed gov on many things. The state department lets Hillary use a private unsecured email system while the secure one with private data gets hacked. Can't make this stuff up. Private company I worked for had one metric for IT. How many viruses or other hacks were successful in our system. If the answer was one, we suspect it would be time for a new it head but not sure as it did not happen. We were hard to access for good reason and security over board but it worked.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:53 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,051,072 times
Yep, finally got my notice by snail mail. I think it's time for me to change my bank, credit card, etc. "security questions". To wit:

""...name, SSN, address, date and place of birth, residency, educational, and employment history, personal foreign travel history, information about immediate family as well as business and personal acquaintances, and other information used to conduct and adjudicate your background".

Now I have to decide whether to send email to ex-spouse although it seems to me it would be easy for gov to check his tax return and send his notice to his last known address.

Seriously, OPM, it took you five months to send this out?

Old 11-03-2015, 12:57 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,690,791 times
Lenora,

When you give answers to security questions don't use anything that makes sense. In other words, if they want your mother's maiden name answer something like "chocolate". If they want the date you met your husband, answer something like "Circle". Make sure you will remember whatever answer you give. But if the answer makes no sense it is harder for hackers to guess.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:41 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,051,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
Lenora,

When you give answers to security questions don't use anything that makes sense. In other words, if they want your mother's maiden name answer something like "chocolate". If they want the date you met your husband, answer something like "Circle". Make sure you will remember whatever answer you give. But if the answer makes no sense it is harder for hackers to guess.
I'll try that but it will only work if I can somehow associate the words so that they make sense to me. Otherwise, my memory is too poor to associate a nonsense word with the correct answer. For example, ex-husband, [think] pinhead = circle. I'll try it. Ooooh, I just thought of one that is similar to your "Chocolate" for mother's maiden name. This could be fun.

Hopefully I can at least slow down a hacker. Thanks for the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement