Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 02:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,619,025 times

Advertisements

For those of us over 65, let's get crazy and act outrageous.

A random sampling of subjects displayed on the first page of the Retirement Forum just now revealed these:

Senior (Elder) Hunger the Hidden Epidemic Few People Know About
Financial Check-up / What are we screwing up?
Friendships going south in senior years
Ready to retire... wife says she wants me to keep working
No value for experienced, seasoned workers
Retirees who are estranged from their adult children
More older Americans are being buried by housing debt

I don't know about anyone else but these do not leave me in the happy frame of mind I want in retirement. It's not that they should be ignored or minimized so let's counter things like that and aches and pains that aging can bring with a little fun, a little craziness, a bit of eccentricity, some harmless outrageousness.

As those of us over 65 (I'll be 69 in August) are already exceeding the speed limit, let's just put the pedal to the metal and thoroughly enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 02:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,034,740 times
So what're you doing down there in the Ozarks to put the pedal to the metal? Getting a Harley?

I'm thoroughly enjoying retirement. We had the grandtwins, age 2 1/2, here for the weekend and boy did they ever speed things up for us. Haven't moved that fast or laughed so much in a decade. Of course they had a bit of a meltdown missing mommy, but we got them straightened out with granddad giving horsie rides, from which he may never recover.

This year, as we finish up the renovations on the house, we're starting to envision an entirely different year next year, when we can do some traveling to Maine and Canada and relax a whole lot more. Our "revolution" will be 180-degree turn from where we are now. My challenge is to get my health more on track so I can enjoy the coming year/s.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:58 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,534,958 times
I just turned 68. I'll be spending the summer helping build a cabin for my brother (65). On the work crew will be me, my brother, and my BIL (70). The cabin will be 20' x 40' (800 sf), all one story, a loft for visitors, a telescope window in one corner (brother loves astronomy), and a nice big porch along one side. I'll put the porch on as soon as we get the exterior finished enough for it...I have visions of the 3 of us sitting out there into the evening after working all day, finishing off the cold beer....!

Old 06-07-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So what're you doing down there in the Ozarks to put the pedal to the metal? Getting a Harley?

I'm thoroughly enjoying retirement. We had the grandtwins, age 2 1/2, here for the weekend and boy did they ever speed things up for us. Haven't moved that fast or laughed so much in a decade. Of course they had a bit of a meltdown missing mommy, but we got them straightened out with granddad giving horsie rides, from which he may never recover.

This year, as we finish up the renovations on the house, we're starting to envision an entirely different year next year, when we can do some traveling to Maine and Canada and relax a whole lot more. Our "revolution" will be 180-degree turn from where we are now. My challenge is to get my health more on track so I can enjoy the coming year/s.
Talkin' 'bout a Harley trike but it depends upon my wife's health and ability to hang-on.

Ya mean movin' to the Aux Arcs in the first place wasn't enough of a daring adventure? Of course, we were six years younger then so I guess it doesn't count.

Guess yur not-a-movin' anytime soon, huh? Best of luck with the health issues. We know what that's like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I just turned 68. I'll be spending the summer helping build a cabin for my brother (65). On the work crew will be me, my brother, and my BIL (70). The cabin will be 20' x 40' (800 sf), all one story, a loft for visitors, a telescope window in one corner (brother loves astronomy), and a nice big porch along one side. I'll put the porch on as soon as we get the exterior finished enough for it...I have visions of the 3 of us sitting out there into the evening after working all day, finishing off the cold beer....!
Now that's livin'!

Old 06-07-2015, 03:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,034,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Did you design this cabin yourself, or purchase the design? I would be interested.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:48 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,708,000 times
I agree the retirement forum is too depressing!

I'm not that old yet, though I am retired, but my goal for this next year is to save up to buy a used mini-van and turn it into a mini-camper, so I can take off on cheap overnight trips with my dog :-)

Old 06-07-2015, 03:54 PM

3,581 posts, read 4,532,596 times
I need a new gas infusion to get up some steam for the next chapter.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:13 PM

5,951 posts, read 5,140,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
For those of us over 65, let's get crazy and act outrageous.

A random sampling of subjects displayed on the first page of the Retirement Forum just now revealed these:

Senior (Elder) Hunger the Hidden Epidemic Few People Know About
Financial Check-up / What are we screwing up?
Friendships going south in senior years
Ready to retire... wife says she wants me to keep working
No value for experienced, seasoned workers
Retirees who are estranged from their adult children
More older Americans are being buried by housing debt

I don't know about anyone else but these do not leave me in the happy frame of mind I want in retirement. It's not that they should be ignored or minimized so let's counter things like that and aches and pains that aging can bring with a little fun, a little craziness, a bit of eccentricity, some harmless outrageousness.

As those of us over 65 (I'll be 69 in August) are already exceeding the speed limit, let's just put the pedal to the metal and thoroughly enjoy it.
I think you are onto something pretty terrific. I am 73. Never saw a reason to lie about my age. This is the time of life when we should all be having a good time doing whatever it is that pleases us. While a lot of the topics in the retirement section are gloomy, all I can say is I am grateful for them. Got a lot of help here, saved a lot of otherwise therapy money. It's a relief to know I'm not alone in these issues.

But you are right. Enough!! I so want to find out what gets my motor running. I've been too consumed with the negative I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the fun stuff. Now that is all I want. To have fun. Find out what I like. See new things. Meet new people. Forget the negative aspects of yesterday.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:34 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,534,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Did you design this cabin yourself, or purchase the design? I would be interested.
Hi NEgirl - we never buy plans. If you're building yourself, it's quite easy to figure the arrangements inside, depending on the outside dimensions. We always go in 4' increments on the outside...much less waste with sheathing and flooring and roofing. Thus, 20 x 40 = 5 x 8 of 4' wide siding and flooring. We add doors and windows depending on what's going where on the inside.

This cabin (which is my brother's - he's buying all the materials) will have 1 large bedroom, a bath with hot tub (!!!), and a big open kitchen-dining-living area. There'll be steps up to a loft on one end, for when his kids come to visit. The rest of the upper area will be attic-like storage. He bought 2 huge 4' x 4' windows for a corner of the living room. He has a really expensive telescope that he wants to set up in there.

We figure total cost of materials to be about $28K, which he has saved out of his pension by living at our place for awhile. Labor is pure sweat. If more people would cooperate, there'd be more stories like this!

It's high time for this. He's been staying in a camper at our place, and spent much of the winter in our second bedroom (it was brutal here last winter!). We've lopped off a piece of land on the west side of our place, about 3 acres, for this cabin and my BIL's renovated mobile. We'll never use that land, anyway. This way, we'll all have a mortgage-free place to call our own, without being in each other's face all day long!

Old 06-07-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I think you are onto something pretty terrific. I am 73. Never saw a reason to lie about my age. This is the time of life when we should all be having a good time doing whatever it is that pleases us. While a lot of the topics in the retirement section are gloomy, all I can say is I am grateful for them. Got a lot of help here, saved a lot of otherwise therapy money. It's a relief to know I'm not alone in these issues.

But you are right. Enough!! I so want to find out what gets my motor running. I've been too consumed with the negative I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the fun stuff. Now that is all I want. To have fun. Find out what I like. See new things. Meet new people. Forget the negative aspects of yesterday.
As some are wont to say, "You go, girl!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement