Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:36 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,143,524 times

Advertisements

I am single, no dependents. Now that I am retired, I would like to start receiving SS retirement benefits. Has anyone done this online? I might want to do this rather than go to the Social Security office. Any reasons not to sign up online? Any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 08:58 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,254,147 times
I signed up online. A week or so later I received a phone call from SSA. Went over my application on the phone and it was completed quickly. Received my first benefits on time. Was really very easy to do it online.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:36 AM

130 posts, read 134,731 times
I signed up for SS on line. No one called me, but everything went smoothly.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:06 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,334,093 times
I signed up on line and no problems. But they called me and required me to come in so they could confirm ID. I needed SS card, passport, driver's license or one other picture ID

But that appointment went well they made some positive for me changes in my application and I had my first check just a few weeks later.

All went well basically.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:31 AM
JRR

8,184 posts, read 5,700,009 times
My wife signed up online last year. She got a phone call about a week later confirming what month she wanted it to start. Very smooth and easy.

I am going to sign up for spousal benefits later this month and plan to do it online. However, it looks like I may have to go by the local office with my marriage certificate once I have submitted my application.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:18 AM

6,636 posts, read 7,377,355 times
On line is fine but do some research on when to start your benefits. It could be better to wait.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:37 PM

7,530 posts, read 13,681,317 times
As a single, your online app should go smooth. Providing any needed documentation may or may not call for a trip to an office. As a military veteran, I needed to provide a copy of my DD214 discharge paper. But they let me e-mail a scanned copy.

My own on-line app was a little complicated as I was already on Survivor's benefits based on my deceased wife's record. When I applied for benefits on my own delayed age 70 record, I did it on-line but there was a problem. My initial award was based on FRA age, not age 70 with DRCs. Had to write and mail an appeal form. But it was fixed in 2 months with retroactive effect.

I have read since then that on-line claims that are simple and straight forward usually go thru OK. Claims that are more complicated, not so much.

BTW, on original Survivor's claim, SSA did want original or certified copies of birth, marriage and death certificates.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:08 PM
JRR

8,184 posts, read 5,700,009 times
I applied for spousal benefits online last week and got a phone call today to verify a couple of things and I am all set. I don't even have to submit a copy of my marriage certificate as they just confirmed with my wife over the phone that we are still married. Can't get much easier than that!

They did say that I will be getting a new Medicare card that will be under my wife's Social Security number. So I will have to remember to have all my doctors change their information on my records and do the same with my Medicare supplement insurer when my spousal benefits start.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:57 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,938,771 times
Nine years ago when I applied for benefits, it never occurred to me that I could apply online, so I applied in person. Seven years later my sister applied online and said she had no problems.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:14 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,927,753 times
I took early retirement in 2009, applied on-line, got a phone call from SS to confirm a couple things, got my first check direct-deposited on time.

Mr. Norma started collecting last Fall. He did everything on line, except for one thing. He went into the SS office for that but I'm not sure he would have had to. He is really old school about doing some personal business on-line.

He also got his first check direct-deposited on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement