Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 11:42 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,944,882 times

Advertisements

I have a significant collections as well, including 78 RPM some 45s and even 8 track . WE got rid f a lot at yard sales but tere is a bunch more to go..
There is a store in town here that buy's and sells all that including video recordings of all sort.
Probably the most unusual thing I've got is a studio practice session of Herb Albert and the TJ Brass. It's an over size reel tape .
I've got players for most every thing but the wire recorder I had years ago. ( it came before tape)
Even have wind up for the 78s
A while back, I had big plans to record every thing on to CD then to tera bite but with technology always changing I may as well leave it in the original and enjoy it as it is.
When I was a kid ,my brother who is 5 years older, he loved rock and roll, I prfirred the long haired music and prefirred the 20s an 30s 40s.
Smooth jazz and nonlyric non vocal music.
Not as mch into music as i was younger, there is so much piped in every where in town ,and with 3 wineries with in ear shot of the house, destroy one anothers music compeeting at the same time.
There 's no fixen drunk stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 12:40 PM

2,344 posts, read 2,691,674 times
I had a few 45's also but I was always a big fan of Greatest Hits Albums... And while perusing the albums..... remember K-Tel? I had a bunch of them. I was (am) very top-40

Old 06-19-2015, 01:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,213,836 times
I still have about half of my original vinyls, even some 45's (including "Who Stole The Keeshka" the flip side of which, "Portki" can't be found anywhere)...some as far back as 1956 (my oldest brother's stuff, like "Slow Walk"). I still play them. There is something about those original albums and 45's - good stuff, good memories, depressing memories, good music, laughable stuff, etc...but not available in their original version in later formats. My new turntable and new receiver makes them less scratchy. I'm dumping lots of stuff these days, but not quite ready to part with them.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:57 PM

35,262 posts, read 17,158,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
Been slowly de-cluttering, and started with garage. Hate to say it because it will hurt a bit but it's probably time to say good bye to my albums. They been sitting in the same boxes for at least 10 years.

Don't think any place will want them, I never was the guy that kept his albums in pristine condition. They always popped and cracked. Which is why I replaced them with CD's.

PS - The CD's are also boxed up and sitting next to the albums, probably for the last 5 years. Everything burned and stored on-line and locally in digital format.... But they're not leaving yet.
Do you have a catalog of the albums? I might buy some.

PM me if you do.

But before you do Best Buy sells a record player that puts them on the computer.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:03 PM

9,697 posts, read 10,046,682 times
Best to sell them off at second hand record shops which you could get rock bottom fast cash as the record market is booming now but is could dry out in a year or two ...CDs and dvds and now records are not selling because of walmart pricing and internet downloads is drying the music and movie business out of business .....or sell them on e-bay for better prices if you got the time for this market

Old 06-19-2015, 04:08 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,513,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Funny. Last night wife pulled out her (old) 'portable' record player.

I said go grab an album. She came back and played "Meet The Monkeys".

It was great. Monkeys Theme (Hey Hey We're The Monkeys), Last Train To Clarksville, I'm Gonna Buy Me a Dog, etc.

I think we need to clean or replace the needle...

MikeG
Not to be persnickety about spelling, but it's "The Monkees".

What memories, eh? Did your wife watch the TV show as well? I never missed an episode. It was so cheesy...

Old 06-19-2015, 04:12 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,832,114 times
I made some good money selling my 1000+ albums before I moved from Los Angeles to Little Rock. Most of them I took to the used record store. I brought some collectibles with me and sold them on ebay for as much as $75. But those were in pristine condition.

Vinyl is in right now so you might be surprised.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:17 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,337,846 times
Currently decluttering and donating or garage selling whatever I can and I still have a lot of excess.
I have gotten to the point where I just do not like material possessions very much at all.

Anything worth $5.00 or more gets put in the garage sale box, the under $5.00 worth gets put in the donation box and taken once a week to whatever thrift shop we happen to be close to.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:17 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,888,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom
Don't think any place will want them, I never was the guy that kept his albums in pristine condition. They always popped and cracked. Which is why I replaced them with CD's.
I hear ya buddy..... I didnt used to take care of mine either (In the 80s) only a few records made it out of that decade w/o major damage!

Now I realise just how beautiful analog media IS and I am very careful with my records,VHS tapes,cassettes,etc..... I love analog........ Nothing nicer

Good luck with your de-cluttering project

Old 06-19-2015, 08:41 PM

4,546 posts, read 12,425,571 times
Since there might be some knowledgeable people on this thread - -

I have some old 78s. I read that diamond needles are too harsh on these old records and that the correct needles to use is a steel needle. Because I don't want to damage them, I have hesitated to play them. Does anyone with real knowledge know whether I could safely play them with a modern needle?

A lot of them are very common big band records, but some of the others seem rather obscure. Any good sites out there to learn about the value of older, obscure records?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement