Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 06:57 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,831,105 times

Advertisements

kettlepot: Send me a pm and I will put you in touch with a friend of ours. We just bought a 1911 Sonora phonograph from him and there are indeed special needles needed to play the records. We have to change our needles every three or four plays. He's an expert and an avid collector of the phonographs. We love that 20's hot jazz and playing it on the original wind up phonograph is special. We have a ton of vinyl albums and most are in pristine condition. I've been trying to get John to part with them for decades now. We still have a good turn table but he's really into the antique phonograph. Maybe I will try to convince him again to sell his vinyl. I think we're way over Black Sabbath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 07:59 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,910,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot
I have some old 78s. I read that diamond needles are too harsh on these old records and that the correct needles to use is a steel needle.
Im not sure........I have played mine with a reg 33 tip and its fine..... But when i switch it to the 78 tip they sound BETTER of course!!

I love 78s!!!

Old 06-20-2015, 08:00 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,794,528 times
Are there any Record Collectors out there?

Old 06-20-2015, 08:20 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,109,084 times
I am a firm believer that to enjoy music properly, you must play the recorded music on the equipment for which is was engineered. I have a wind up Victrola and a 1968 complete Akaii stereo system with huge speaker cabinets, reel to reel, etc. A few years ago a business in El Paso, TX refurbished the system and I bought a new double, auto reverse cassette deck and a CD changer to hook into the system. It takes an octopus switching box to hook it all together. I need a new turn table. But.... NOTHING beats the acoustical quality of vinyl played on such a system. When I crank it up, the windows rattle in their frames. It is fantastic. I have over 700 lps. I took super good care of them all my life so there is not a scratch on them. Some of the lps were never released on digital media. Obviously, for convenience, I have all the modern equipment for digital but the sound is so flat and tinny. And yes, all that stuff takes up lots of room but I'm not going anywhere.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:22 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,109,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
kettlepot: Send me a pm and I will put you in touch with a friend of ours. We just bought a 1911 Sonora phonograph from him and there are indeed special needles needed to play the records. We have to change our needles every three or four plays. He's an expert and an avid collector of the phonographs. We love that 20's hot jazz and playing it on the original wind up phonograph is special. We have a ton of vinyl albums and most are in pristine condition. I've been trying to get John to part with them for decades now. We still have a good turn table but he's really into the antique phonograph. Maybe I will try to convince him again to sell his vinyl. I think we're way over Black Sabbath.

That is cool! I have a Victrola (wind up) and got several huge boxes of 78's, pristine! at a yard sale. I've heard about the needle thing - I have about 20 of them but didn't realize you have to change the needles so very often. Wow!

Old 06-20-2015, 09:49 AM

16,717 posts, read 8,712,122 times
I don't know if this has already been suggested, but in some cities there are used record stores. They are typically in the off beat, artsy sections of towns. They may be willing to buy them in bulk if you would sell them cheaply enough. Heck if you want to just get rid of them and don't want them to end up in a landfill, you might just donate the lot to a store like that.

`

Old 06-20-2015, 11:56 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,910,405 times
Well he said they arent in very good condition or im sure he would........ (Probably like my records in the 80s)

Old 06-20-2015, 01:48 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,461,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
Been slowly de-cluttering, and started with garage. Hate to say it because it will hurt a bit but it's probably time to say good bye to my albums. They been sitting in the same boxes for at least 10 years.

Don't think any place will want them, I never was the guy that kept his albums in pristine condition. They always popped and cracked. Which is why I replaced them with CD's.

PS - The CD's are also boxed up and sitting next to the albums, probably for the last 5 years. Everything burned and stored on-line and locally in digital format.... But they're not leaving yet.
When we moved to Maine last fall, I got rid of albums, cassette tapes, VHS tapes, old magazines, and pretty much anything we hadn't used - and perhaps hadn't even seen! - for the previous 5 years. The obvious exceptions: photos, family documents, mementos of trips/special occasions, etc.

It felt good.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:48 PM

6,887 posts, read 11,272,858 times
Smile Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I made some good money selling my 1000+ albums before I moved from Los Angeles to Little Rock. Most of them I took to the used record store. I brought some collectibles with me and sold them on ebay for as much as $75. But those were in pristine condition.

Vinyl is in right now so you might be surprised.
Give me an idea of what you sold an album for. My husband and I have 500 albums between us and many are duplicates. His are in better condition - some anyway - but when I looked through them, it brought back SUCH memories!

It would be fun to just have a few parties - once I finish renovating.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:25 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,831,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
That is cool! I have a Victrola (wind up) and got several huge boxes of 78's, pristine! at a yard sale. I've heard about the needle thing - I have about 20 of them but didn't realize you have to change the needles so very often. Wow!

I'm totally jealous if it's all that 20's hot jazz. There was one Edison model that had a needle that never had to be changed, but you had to play Edison records only unless you had a special adapter for the arm. We change the needle every 3 or 4 plays with the Sonora. We have the Invincible model. It's quite a beautiful machine. I guess we will be collecting more vinyl records and hopefully purging all the 70's and 80's vinyls. So the addiction begins again in another form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement