Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 10:27 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,264,021 times

Advertisements

It will be the last to go.

A few months back, FTWC posted about Boz Scaggs. Wow, what good memories.
Started listening and it sounds so good.

Timeless.

My millennial kids and their friends all love this stuff. Think it's mega cool.

(Had the best music in the 60's, 70's, some 80's)

My husband and I will be at the office and I'll say "do you what to hear some Chicago or Billy Joel?" - just start it up and I think we both leave in a better mood.

I mean, I used to do my homework listening to music and got all A's so I think I can work while I listen.

Probably not going to good at decluttering, however, outside of books and vinyl albums, I really don't have a lot of "stuff" - never bought into the knick knacks but I admire people that did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 09:12 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,144,069 times
Don’t say good by. Digitize all the pictures. Put them on a hard drive. Connect the drive to an LCD screen that you put on the wall, and let the pictures run at 30 seconds a picture continuously.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:57 AM

4,350 posts, read 4,734,003 times
Quote:
A few months back, FTWC posted about Boz Scaggs. Wow, what good memories.
Started listening and it sounds so good.

He played here in September but I was out of town unfortunately. He's great! We used to hang out at his bar in San Francisco back in the early 90s.

I'm thinking of buying a turntable and vinyl. Vinyl is very big here.

Boz's set list:

Setlist

• What Can I Say
  • Those Lies
  • Love T.K.O.
  • Rock and Stick
  • The Feeling Is Gone
  • I've Just Got to Know
  • It's Over
  • On the Beach
  • Miss Sun
  • Radiator 110
  • Georgia
  • Somebody Loan Me a Dime
  • Lowdown
  • Lido Shuffle
Encore

• Little Miss Night and Day
  • You Never Can Tell

Old 10-18-2019, 11:07 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,175,727 times
My father used to have large stereo consoles that look like a piece of furniture, those things were huge and you could put plants on them - I would say they are about 5 or 6 feet long, 2 feet wide (maybe less) and 2 feet high and fit along the wall and you raise the second wooden lid and put your record there and I remember a quality of sound that was almost like the singer or band was in the living room with you. We've had turntables, etc smaller carry all record players after that, but they never rivaled the sound of the stereo consoles. The stereo consoles even had some kind of upholstery in the center panel if I remember correctly and they were made out of wood.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:21 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,686,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
My father used to have large stereo consoles that look like a piece of furniture, those things were huge and you could put plants on them - I would say they are about 5 or 6 feet long, 2 feet wide (maybe less) and 2 feet high and fit along the wall and you raise the second wooden lid and put your record there and I remember a quality of sound that was almost like the singer or band was in the living room with you. We've had turntables, etc smaller carry all record players after that, but they never rivaled the sound of the stereo consoles. The stereo consoles even had some kind of upholstery in the center panel if I remember correctly and they were made out of wood.
Had one of those. I ran a string from the dial to my bunk bed for remote turn-off.

They were great.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:36 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,264,021 times
Smile Love your area....

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
He played here in September but I was out of town unfortunately. He's great! We used to hang out at his bar in San Francisco back in the early 90s.

I'm thinking of buying a turntable and vinyl. Vinyl is very big here.

Boz's set list:

Setlist

• What Can I Say
  • Those Lies
  • Love T.K.O.
  • Rock and Stick
  • The Feeling Is Gone
  • I've Just Got to Know
  • It's Over
  • On the Beach
  • Miss Sun
  • Radiator 110
  • Georgia
  • Somebody Loan Me a Dime
  • Lowdown
  • Lido Shuffle
Encore

• Little Miss Night and Day
  • You Never Can Tell
Now that I know he plays a lot in your area (his area), I'll be sure to visit August/September. I'm a Healdsburg fan big time. I also love Carmel and there would have to be a visit to Pebble Beach

Old 10-18-2019, 03:02 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,989,594 times
I've gotten rid of mine several times. Turns out every time I put them in the trash, my husband rescues them and stores them in a shed. I'm pretty sure they're still out there somewhere, hiding in a dark corner. I'll stumble upon them again some day and try to get them to the dumpster. At one time, I even tried to give them to my sister by telling her they were actually hers, but she didn't buy it.

They're all scratchy and beat up, not worth selling.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:39 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,175,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Had one of those. I ran a string from the dial to my bunk bed for remote turn-off.

They were great.
That was pretty smart of you to create your own remote system!! Those consoles were amazing and the sound quality was a feast for the ears.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:28 PM

35,133 posts, read 31,431,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Don’t say good by. Digitize all the pictures. Put them on a hard drive. Connect the drive to an LCD screen that you put on the wall, and let the pictures run at 30 seconds a picture continuously.
I would keep hard copies of the pictures in a safe deposit box. Digitize them, but you don't want to lose originals in the event something goes completely wrong.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:50 PM

51,012 posts, read 36,707,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I would keep hard copies of the pictures in a safe deposit box. Digitize them, but you don't want to lose originals in the event something goes completely wrong.

When my mom went to assisted living, I found a box with my mine and my brother's old artwork, stories we wrote, etc. I want to digitize those, as needless to say 50 year old construction paper left in an attic doesn't hold up too well, lol. One of the items I found was a "graduation" diploma my mother's diaper service sent to her when my brother stopped wearing diapers. It was funny, it read just like a real diploma, complete with Latin phrases and "having met the requirements of...." kind of stuff. I framed it and gave it to him for his 60th birthday. I was thinking of making something, maybe a T-shirt or a book, with his old Godzilla and dinosaur drawings. Also something for my mom from them would be nice, too. But I would not want to part with the originals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement