Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 08:51 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,811,949 times

Advertisements

No. I am worried about a crash that makes investments, even "safe" ones lose significant value. I don't think it is likely in my lifetime, but my fear is that "not likely" is maybe a 20% chance. The loan balance wouldn't drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 09:45 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,069,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
No. I am worried about a crash that makes investments, even "safe" ones lose significant value. I don't think it is likely in my lifetime, but my fear is that "not likely" is maybe a 20% chance. The loan balance wouldn't drop.
What???......Not only are you likely to experience a significant crash in your lifetime but probably several (unless you're in the elderly age group). The market as it is now is nearing a tipping point......if you notice it's up one day down the next, etc...but it has hovered around the 18K mark for a while now and is moving what they call "sideways".

When will it fall.....that's the billion dollar question. Could be caused by a major world event, just by a large group of investors catching the fear bug and bailing starting the dominoes to follow along or by one of any other number of reasons that may or may not be expected or make any rational sense.

Heed these wise words:

"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." - John Maynard Keynes

Last edited by luckyram; 06-20-2015 at 10:50 PM..

Old 06-20-2015, 09:53 PM

5,254 posts, read 3,834,264 times
Quote:
What is perceived as safe today will be shunned shortly. Watch govt bonds. Stocks will be safer.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:58 AM

107,293 posts, read 109,648,178 times
while as things stand i agree but once markets falter the typical flight to safety will have those gov't bonds soaring again.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:22 AM

Quote:
why not go with something like the permanent portfolio. it profits in any one of the major scenarios. it had 4 slightly down years the last 40 years.

it uses 4 asset classes that move opposite each other.

it uses equal amounts of an index fund-long term treasury's- gold-cash .

you can profit in recessions -prosperity-deflation and depression .

while never meant too be a barn barning growth vehicle it will never let any climate devastate you either.

if you do follow the plan ,realize the cycles for some assets can run a lot longer than stocks so it should be a long term investment.

the cash is an important part as it acts as a call option to buy assets at lower prices as you rebalance each year.

the last 5 years it has done little but it didn't have to since in 2008 it was actually up and it didn't need all those gains to recover.

the last 15 years it did as well as a 100% investment in the s&p 500 with 75% less risk.

i went back to this strategy myself with 1/2 of my investment money. the other 1/2 i still have traditionally invested based around lower rates and good times for the markets.

you can learn more about it here

2014 returns were not complete yet in the article. they came in at 9.10%

http://www.steveonomics.com/2014/11/...ent-portfolio/

http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/index.php

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-21-2015 at 03:36 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 05:23 AM

I don't think the well intentioned posters above understand what I mean by significant. Some of the economic collapse scenarios are not as far fetched as you might think or hope. Like I said, I don't think it is likely but the likelihood may be great enough to try to limit the damage. I insure against other unlikely scenarios.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:27 AM

897 posts, read 1,147,777 times
Quote:
Interesting that no one has commented on my potentially irrational fear - the fear of a collapse.
I have the same fear...this is why we paid cash for our 105K condo almost a year ago. It may not make "financial sense" to some, but, it gives me great peace of mind to have it paid for. Also, I did not want to go through the hassle of obtaining a mortgage.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:12 AM

well like i said , there are ways to invest and not rule out other outcomes but to allow and profit from them too. what you can't get is the biggest bang for the buck and the protection but you can still do just fine .

at this stage of my life i am done taking big bets on falling rates and prosperity as being the only outcomes i can profit from . so i run 2 portfolios now .

you can make the variable portfolio as large or small as you want . but the money that is near and dear to you can go in the permanent portfolio (not the fund ) and know that whether it is a depression or hyper inflation odds are you should be okay. 2008 was an up year for the portfolio even though the stock portion fell almost 40%

Old 06-21-2015, 07:04 AM

We still are not on the same page. There are some NWO (New World Order) scenarios that are not as far fetched as they once were. I still think that it is not likely to happen while I am alive but the chances of one happening are not nearly as low as I would like. I will give you one example. This is not a quick read but worth a few minutes IMO:
Basic Income: Why and How Should We Build a Basic Income for Every Citizen?
A pretty well reasoned argument that supports this statement:
Quote:
In other words, as a society we would reject the idea of the concentration of wealth and change the rules so that, as a result of those rules, society's income is available to everyone across the full population.
I don't see this sort of shift as likely in my lifetime but I think the odds against it are not that high. I actually agree with a lot of what he says about status quo being a problem and think it will be addressed in some way.

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 06-21-2015 at 07:22 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 07:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,702,382 times
Quote:
We still are not on the same page. There are some NWO (New World Order) scenarios that are not as far fetched as they once were. I still think that it is likely to happen while I am alive but the chances of one happening are not nearly as low as I would like. I will give you one example. This is not a quick read but worth a few minutes IMO:
Basic Income: Why and How Should We Build a Basic Income for Every Citizen?
A pretty well reasoned argument that supports this statement:I don't see this sort of shift as likely in my lifetime but I think the odds against it are not that high. I actually agree with a lot of what he says about status quo being a problem and think it will be addressed in some way.
I've read about the basic income movement. It's not just the US either.
Just remember the wheels of government move slow, very slow.
If Congress ever started talking about that I think you'd have plenty of time to act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement