Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:30 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times

Advertisements

The problem with pets is that you can't leave them in the car, period. If you are 2 people, one can stand outside with them, but solo its very limiting in terms of food or anything you might need to buy. And you really need to plan ahead to find pet friendly hotels/camp grounds.

I haven't driven cross country or traveled as extensively as some here but I've done some multi state drives, never felt threatened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 11:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I couldn't figure out why this guy was looking at me so strangely and then I went outside and there were 2 thug looking guys - one walking toward my car and one walking toward me. I kept walking (my dogs were in the car) and they both turned and walked away. I may have scared them -
Thug looking??? OH!! You mean they were Black.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:06 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,512,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Thug looking??? OH!! You mean they were Black.
I think they were muscle bound with tattoos and bandannas.

No race involved.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:27 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
I have done five drives between Midwestern cities and the Tucson area in the past eighteen months. I have to say that my next few trips will be by air.

After these trips, I know which cities have decent accommodations and which ones have lousy hotels. I know roughly where the gas is cheapest and where the good, inexpensive and accessible restaurants are located.

I have found that 650 miles is about my maximum for a day ... and that I cannot do that for more than two days straight.

I have found that using rental cars is the way to go. Any issues and you dump it at the next town.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:38 PM

40 posts, read 34,504 times
I've not retired yet, but have done several long distance road trips on my own. Not quite cross-country, as I start in the middle, but have done Chicago-Boston, Chicago-Maine, Chicago-Boulder, Chicago-Florida. No weapons, although never considered something like wasp spray. Only twice was I slightly concerned.

Once had the car break down on the Ohio turnpike on a Sunday afternoon. I had been resisting getting a cell phone, so had to walk back to the closest rest stop to call a tow truck, and ended up staying in a sort of scary motel for the night until the local car repair place opened Monday morning. Got a cell phone immediately after that trip!

Second time was just a few years ago. Driving back to Chicago from Denver, I had planned to stop in Omaha for the night, but still felt wide awake and thought I could go a few more hours. When it started getting dark, I realized I hadn't figured out where the next best place to stop would be and found nothing (other than a Bates Motel lookalike) until getting to Des Moines, which was longer than I really should have been driving. Note to self: Have a plan B! And maybe even C or D...

My preference for solo vacations is cruising, but road trips can be fun, too. Just be prepared, know what options you have for places to see/stay/eat/stop/etc. and remain aware of your surroundings.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:21 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal1962 View Post
My preference for solo vacations is cruising, but road trips can be fun, too. Just be prepared, know what options you have for places to see/stay/eat/stop/etc. and remain aware of your surroundings.
If you wouldn't mind, would you tell me how solo cruising works for you? Why you prefer it?

I have been on two cruises, first with two other gals, one of whom complained loudly about my snoring. Well, since I was the only one who had never cruised before it was decided I should take the top bunk. Very crowded up there (just me!!). I once pushed a pillow over and it landed on her..... oh boy did she get mad at me!! Not exactly a fun trip.

My second cruise I went with a more tolerant friend (just her and me). It was better than the first.

But really would like to hear more about going solo.

Thanks.

Last edited by NYgal1542; 06-22-2015 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-22-2015, 02:33 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,512,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have done five drives between Midwestern cities and the Tucson area in the past eighteen months. I have to say that my next few trips will be by air.

After these trips, I know which cities have decent accommodations and which ones have lousy hotels. I know roughly where the gas is cheapest and where the good, inexpensive and accessible restaurants are located.

I have found that 650 miles is about my maximum for a day ... and that I cannot do that for more than two days straight.

I have found that using rental cars is the way to go. Any issues and you dump it at the next town.
Rental cars - a very good idea.

650 miles a day? Wow.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
I cannot find anyone I know who wants to do a custom-designed trip in certain parts of Italy via France. I wish I could/would travel alone. Being walking-impaired, I'd want to have someone with me.

AAA now has a solo travelers' club, check it out.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:17 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Rental cars - a very good idea.

650 miles a day? Wow.

Recent trips:

~6,000 miles (RT Tucson - Cleveland). $475 for a monthly rental
~2, 300 miles (Tucson-Yosemite-Reno-Las Vegas-Tucson) $265 for two week rental

I cannot operate my personal ride for that little.

I have done 650-700 miles about five times. Fortunately, not one of them has involved a drive trough a metropolis (think LA, Chicago, or Toronto) during rush hour. Also, all of them have been mostly freeway and most of them in excellent weather.

Recently, I have been booking my hotel room 2-4 hours before arrival so that I can cut some of my drive days short.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:22 PM

498 posts, read 572,264 times
jlawrence - I cannot find a rental vehicle for that price. Please PM me if you have a good rental agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement