Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:10 PM

13,692 posts, read 9,781,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
The fact that the driver was following all the rules will be small comfort as your watch that little casket being lowered into the ground.
This is an important point. While it's certainly worthwhile to be deferential and considerate, it is nevertheless true that scrupulously obeying the law does not guarantee forestalling a potential tragedy. Neither does wanton disregard for the law guarantee causing trouble and harm. So much comes down to luck, to split-second decisions and to the unfathomable vicissitudes that shape our world.

Further, many behaviors that are perfectly legal, are nevertheless boorish, truculent and obnoxious; and conversely, many things that are illegal, arguably in themselves cause no effrontery or harm. It's worth considering this when we ponder what restrictions communities voluntarily impose upon themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 10:45 PM

3,444 posts, read 4,473,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This is an important point. While it's certainly worthwhile to be deferential and considerate, it is nevertheless true that scrupulously obeying the law does not guarantee forestalling a potential tragedy. Neither does wanton disregard for the law guarantee causing trouble and harm. So much comes down to luck, to split-second decisions and to the unfathomable vicissitudes that shape our world.

Further, many behaviors that are perfectly legal, are nevertheless boorish, truculent and obnoxious; and conversely, many things that are illegal, arguably in themselves cause no effrontery or harm. It's worth considering this when we ponder what restrictions communities voluntarily impose upon themselves.
???
HOA restrictions are not "voluntarily imposed". They are nearly universally created and imposed by a developer and local government - the "homeowners" weren't at the table.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:23 AM

11,179 posts, read 16,062,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
???
HOA restrictions are not "voluntarily imposed". They are nearly universally created and imposed by a developer and local government - the "homeowners" weren't at the table.
But they are now. The HOA is run by and for the benefit of the home owners in the community. If they don't like a rule, they can work and vote to get it changed. It's called democracy.

However, what I usually find on the Internet, is that rather than working for change, people would rather b*tch and moan about their HOA and hurl pejoratives at the people who volunteer their time to actually serve on the board.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:43 AM

708 posts, read 723,885 times
When we were looking for a second home in Florida we wanted a HOA. After years of people parking cars everywhere, up on blocks, dogs barking all night, people not mowing lawns or up keep their houses, we appreciate the HOA!

Old 06-26-2015, 08:47 AM

42,880 posts, read 26,438,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
But they are now. The HOA is run by and for the benefit of the home owners in the community. If they don't like a rule, they can work and vote to get it changed. It's called democracy.

However, what I usually find on the Internet, is that rather than working for change, people would rather b*tch and moan about their HOA and hurl pejoratives at the people who volunteer their time to actually serve on the board.
It's not quite that easy. In many cases HOA's are run by a clique who has entrenched itself and will do whatever they must to avoid losing their position on the board of directors - including throwing elections. There is very little oversight or regulation of HOA's so the whole operation is subject to fraud and abuse. Easiest thing is to vow to never live in one, that's what we did after spending 14 miserable years in one and having nearly every aspect of our life 'managed' by a bunch of busybodies.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:16 AM

26,665 posts, read 28,797,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's not quite that easy. In many cases HOA's are run by a clique who has entrenched itself and will do whatever they must to avoid losing their position on the board of directors - including throwing elections. There is very little oversight or regulation of HOA's so the whole operation is subject to fraud and abuse. Easiest thing is to vow to never live in one, that's what we did after spending 14 miserable years in one and having nearly every aspect of our life 'managed' by a bunch of busybodies.
That's what I say too. I would never consent to live in a place like that and be governed by a bunch of nosy people with too much time on their hands.

We don't have many HOAs in this part of the country and I think it works a lot better. People keep their property up without being told. Sometimes there are things we don't like--such as neighbors spraying their yards with pesticides (poisonous and we have a dog to walk) or noise from lawnmowers all day Saturday. But what else? Nothing. You don't have to live in a rich neighborhood, just a neighborhood with decent people and in a town that has good rules. If somebody ever put a car up on blocks and just left if there, we'd call the town. I think a town government is better and more out in the open for all to see than a cliquey HOA.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,655,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
When we were looking for a second home in Florida we wanted a HOA. After years of people parking cars everywhere, up on blocks, dogs barking all night, people not mowing lawns or up keep their houses, we appreciate the HOA!
I can see why you would want an HOA community if that's what you experienced in the past.

I have never lived in a neighborhood with falling apart houses, lawns not mowed and cars up on cinderblocks. I've driven through neighborhoods like that though but would never live in them.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:21 AM

42,880 posts, read 26,438,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's what I say too. I would never consent to live in a place like that and be governed by a bunch of nosy people with too much time on their hands.

We don't have many HOAs in this part of the country and I think it works a lot better. People keep their property up without being told. Sometimes there are things we don't like--such as neighbors spraying their yards with pesticides (poisonous and we have a dog to walk) or noise from lawnmowers all day Saturday. But what else? Nothing. You don't have to live in a rich neighborhood, just a neighborhood with decent people and in a town that has good rules. If somebody ever put a car up on blocks and just left if there, we'd call the town. I think a town government is better and more out in the open for all to see than a cliquey HOA.
Exactly

Old 06-26-2015, 09:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,655,769 times
An HOA is as good or evil as those that are on the board.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:59 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,865,372 times
I live in a self managed HOA with municipal streets/ no sidewalks with 25 MPH limits. Speeding has been a consistent issue for 50 years based on newsletters.

Many owners, over the years, expect the association to " do something".

The association asked for and received more Speed Limit signage. Many complained they did not want signage posted on the easement adjoining their property.

The association periodically requests and receives more attention from the local Police who ticket offenders. Many complained the streets were becoming speed traps.

The association purchased neon vests for any owners that wanted to be more visible when walking at night. This fad came and went.

Some want speed bumps. Municipality understandably declines due to snow removal issues, in the winter.

What no one wants to do is confront their neighbor who speeds or report the tag# to the Police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement