Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 02:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,039,291 times

Advertisements

Of course she is involved a agent and likely took class in what say ACA means in her business. Its why for instance a lawyer can present a case in court from training but the he needs investigators to get the details ;likely a person who was a police officer where he learn craft on investigation .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 02:10 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,244,207 times
I think it depends on the topic and the experience level of the younger AND older person.

My kids are in there early thirties and late twenties. Generally career advice is from me to them, and while they don't always take the advice, they always welcome the viewpoint and discussion.

Politics is pretty free flow between us, and logic and actual outcomes generally carry the discussion, but they have a very different set of assumptions that they start with than I do - it makes for some interesting conversations.

When we went to build our retirement home, we did a custom home (still building). My eldest son had built a custom home a few years before (his wife is a Radiologist, he is an Engineer, so the custom home came early in life!), and so I was asking him for advice and his experiences. I have bought and sold a lot of houses, but never built one, so his knowledge saved me from some significant "rookie" mistakes like in buying property, house layout/site planning and prep, budget and costing, and builder selection.

Investment strategies should be dynamic and change over time to meet the goals of the investor, and health issues are not in the realm of consideration for most 30-40 year olds - everything still works! So those two topics can require significant stage setting/defining of parameters before a productive conversation can be had between the generations, but it clearly can be had.

Just my thoughts on the OP.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:40 PM

9,369 posts, read 14,200,786 times
Most of the people posting here are in the category "retired and unlikely to ever have a job again". That could actually happen at any age, but it would be beneficial for those who retire before, say 60, to also indicate their calendar age group. Decade should be enough. People who have not yet retired are perhaps wondering what they need to plan for, or what to expect, so I can see them legitimately posting in this forum, too.

A lucky few younger people might be in the category "retired and never likely to need a job again", but they are probably on a beautiful island somewhere and not posting on C-D. Or maybe on a mountain top, hiking a scenic trail. Or maybe...but I digress.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:45 PM

496 posts, read 398,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
Lets not forget people, there are some of us here in the CD community who look at you as "Mentors" and nothing else .

The word "Mentor" proves that we listen..

Being a Fire Fighter , I do have a prospective of how people who are older then me thinks, for instance, I work with people who still hang around house 18 years after they retired, hence-"Mentors" using this word tells you everything about me, and if it makes a difference, I have 9 years 4 months, before I can start having fun. All of my friends who older are very wise and calming.

During the Chaos.

PS- Jumping off the edge of the shelve for a living makes you appreciate things more.

Thanks,
Knight
Knight, thank you for putting your life on the line. I so admire police, firefighters, emts and others who provide such a valuable service to us all.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:47 PM

37,817 posts, read 41,119,481 times
It's similar to people asking weather and/or crime questions in the state forums, for example. Someone asks, "Do you get much crime where you live?" and someone who is formerly from Chicago will tell you there is hardly any crime and someone who is formerly from a town with a population of 6,000 thinks the crime is awful. Ask "Do you get a lot of snow?" and someone formerly from Buffalo, NY will tell you "no" and someone formerly from Florida thinks the new town gets way too much. Unfortunately, some posters have too much influence with their "helpfulness."

The key is to ask the question in a way that elicits a data answer so you can judge if it's too much or too little, not the person responding.

An aside, we once decided in the political forum that nobody there changes anyone's mind about anything. That doesn't mean we don't enjoy the sport of butting heads.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,011,243 times
I doubt anyone would participate in a Senior forum unless s/he were close to, or beyond the age of 55. That would keep the comments appropriate to the 55+ interests and concerns. People of all ages would engage in Retirement, if it were called Retirement Readiness and Issues or somesuch.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:53 PM

10,384 posts, read 8,041,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I doubt anyone would participate in a Senior forum unless s/he were close to, or beyond the age of 55. That would keep the comments appropriate to the 55+ interests and concerns.
I'm not sure that would help as much as you think it would, given the broad range of concerns a 55+ age bracket covers. How much does a typical 60 year old have in common with a typical 90 year old? The age gap there is just as wide as the gap between a 30 year old and a 60 year old.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:58 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,011,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I'm not sure that would help as much as you think it would, given the broad range of concerns a 55+ age bracket covers. How much does a typical 60 year old have in common with a typical 90 year old? The age gap there is just as wide as the gap between a 30 year old and a 60 year old.
Seniors generally have the same issues, no matter what the age. 30 to 60 is way more different than 60 to 90, imo. But I hear you.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:07 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,458,795 times
There is a generational aspect to this.

Silent Gen, for the most part (broad brush here) didn't worry about retirement when they were, say, 55, because they already knew they would be golden. The die was cast. All they needed to do was avoid obvious mistakes.

Boomers started out similarly (mid 40s cohort) however by the time the younger / later Boomers were hitting their 50s they were understandably anxious about future prospects.

Now along come us newbs (e.g. Xers), hitting our 50s, in many cases completely freaking out. The worst prepared Generation for retirement since the Lost Generation.

This is all about economic stats and trends.

I worry every day about retirement. It's at least 10 years away (and I'm hoping more like 15 or 20) unless I get "early retired" (aka put out to pasture). I wish I'd been worrying about it as much as I am now, back when I was in my 30s.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:59 PM

10,222 posts, read 7,631,096 times
I get what the OP is saying. He's not saying they don't have factual information to contribute. It's the viewpoint that's different.

It's one thing to recognize generically that an older retired person needs to be conservative with investments. It's quite another thing to BE that older retired person who could lose a lot of his life savings with a too-aggressive investment. It could ruin his life. Brings a whole new meaning to "conservative investment."

But forums are for everyone. Everyone should join in, and if someone has a too-young viewpoint, I would just take that into consideration. As long as they stay on topic, anyone can post in any forum.

I think most people who post in retirement forums are older and are in retirement or nearing it. Anyone who is 50 and retired surely knows he's in an elite group that others are not in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement