Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 01:39 PM

720 posts, read 765,936 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if someone can answer a question for me. My aunt had SSDI for about six years and then was able to return to work. What effect does that six years of disability have on her overall Social Security when she decides to retire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 01:41 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
What might hurt her more is the 6 years of no earnings. SSDI and SS come from somewhat different pots.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:44 PM

They do? That's a bit confusing because I know if you are on SSDI at retirement age your SSDI "turns into" SS, so I'm confused about the different pots.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
They do? That's a bit confusing because I know if you are on SSDI at retirement age your SSDI "turns into" SS, so I'm confused about the different pots.

Yes it does, because you're now retirement age. No need to collect disability because you can't work due to medical issues.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:28 PM

Okay, then is that six years on disability sort of like six years of Social Security in that it reduced the pot of money she has to draw from?

Old 06-27-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Okay, then is that six years on disability sort of like six years of Social Security in that it reduced the pot of money she has to draw from?

No. What reduces it is the fact she didn't have earnings for those 6 years. The amount one can draw from SS is infinite.

What Is Social Security Disability Insurance? An SSDI Primer

As you can see SSDI is having funding issues, SS currently is not.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:38 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
I am wondering if someone can answer a question for me. My aunt had SSDI for about six years and then was able to return to work. What effect does that six years of disability have on her overall Social Security when she decides to retire?
It depends. When someone is found disabled, the earnings record is frozen. IOW, let's say your Aunt worked for 25 years before she became disabled and never returned to work. Rather than divide her years of earnings by the highest 35 years, SS would divide her earnings by the highest 25. There are no zeros during her period of disability.

In all likelihood, your Aunt has lost nothing. The disability check she received should have been the same amount she would have received had she reached full retirement age. If her new work pays higher than her previous earnings, her retirement check will increase accordingly. However, if her new work pays LESS than her previous earnings, it is possible she would have been better off continuing to receive the disability benefit until she retired. It all depends on her prior earnings record and current wages. So, no one can really tell you what effect the six years of disability will have on her retirement benefit without more information.

Usually, there is no negative effect. It's kind of complicated, eh?

Old 06-28-2015, 09:43 PM

It is. I was just curious though. I have now found out that my aunt's job doesn't pay into ss, they have a pension or retirement fund. I never heard of not paying into ss!

Old 06-28-2015, 10:26 PM

39 posts, read 36,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
It depends. When someone is found disabled, the earnings record is frozen. IOW, let's say your Aunt worked for 25 years before she became disabled and never returned to work. Rather than divide her years of earnings by the highest 35 years, SS would divide her earnings by the highest 25. There are no zeros during her period of disability.

In all likelihood, your Aunt has lost nothing. The disability check she received should have been the same amount she would have received had she reached full retirement age. If her new work pays higher than her previous earnings, her retirement check will increase accordingly. However, if her new work pays LESS than her previous earnings, it is possible she would have been better off continuing to receive the disability benefit until she retired. It all depends on her prior earnings record and current wages. So, no one can really tell you what effect the six years of disability will have on her retirement benefit without more information.

Usually, there is no negative effect. It's kind of complicated, eh?
I'm still kind of confused. I was finally declared disabled last October, retroactive to the date of the car accident, April 4, 2012. I was 58 & 1/2 at the time. I'd worked since I was 16, with a year or two off to have my son. So, is my fra 62, 65 or 67? I did work as much as I could but finally had a back operation last March & never did fully recover so was no longer able to work. The time I did work after the accident was part time. But, I had more than enough quarters & was well paid for the last 15 years of my career.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:00 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
It is. I was just curious though. I have now found out that my aunt's job doesn't pay into ss, they have a pension or retirement fund. I never heard of not paying into ss!
there are some occupations that are exempt from paying into SS, mostly teachers and law enforcement. But if you don't pay into SS you are ineligible for SSDI, you would have to apply for SSI which is not based on earnings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement