Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 03:48 AM

508 posts, read 664,379 times

Advertisements

I don't think the younger folks have the same idea about going to movies or restaurants alone that some of the older generations had. It was NOT DONE in my mother's generation. It was frowned upon in MY generation.

I did it anyway. So should you. Whether you're 50, or 150. Doesn't matter. You're an adult in a free country (well, mostly free). Un-bore yourself. Take an art classs, join a book club, get whatever exercise you can. You mentioned gardening, going to movies. Hit the library. Go to a concert. Justin Bieber or Mozart, whatever floats yer boat.

Heck, buy an electric guitar and learn to play it. It's never too late to rebel against your parents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 11:22 AM

12,064 posts, read 10,299,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
I don't think the younger folks have the same idea about going to movies or restaurants alone that some of the older generations had. It was NOT DONE in my mother's generation. It was frowned upon in MY generation.

I did it anyway. So should you. Whether you're 50, or 150. Doesn't matter. You're an adult in a free country (well, mostly free). Un-bore yourself. Take an art classs, join a book club, get whatever exercise you can. You mentioned gardening, going to movies. Hit the library. Go to a concert. Justin Bieber or Mozart, whatever floats yer boat.

Heck, buy an electric guitar and learn to play it. It's never too late to rebel against your parents!
Yes, un-bore yourself!! My father used to tell us to "scratch your feet" if we ever said there was nothing to do. He kept himself busy with reading and tending to his herd of stray cats. He was NEVER bored.

Gee I sound like him - read a lot online and have a herd of cats.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:48 AM

5,950 posts, read 5,123,102 times
My mother always told us (when we were bored) go outdoors and blow the stink off you.

Last edited by NYgal1542; 07-01-2015 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: misspelled word.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:11 PM

7,057 posts, read 6,321,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
My mother always told us (when we were bored) go outdoors and blow the stink off you.
That's too funny.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:55 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,922,844 times
Quote:

I decided a long time ago that if I wait around for someone to go places with me I'll never go anywhere. I do most everything alone and on my own. I like it and I can't say I'm ever bored. I don't even get bored at home. Always something to do.

I tried to learn guitar. All it got me was sore fingers! lol

Old 07-01-2015, 07:57 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,922,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
We learned young to never complain about being "bored". Mom would put us to work!

Old 07-02-2015, 12:00 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,424,843 times
I learned at age 18 what I was good at and wasn't. For the rest of my life, I stuck with the things I was good at, and over the years, I became better at doing them, and they all led to other things I learned and got good at. But really, all the exotic stuff I eventually learned to do as a living and avocation, were all pretty simple in the beginning, and there were only a few of them.

I'm still doing all the stuff I ever did, expect for the things that involve high places and very strenuous physical work. I can do some of the latter, but not as much or as frequently.

While I'm quite sociable, all my lifelong pursuits have been pretty solitary in nature. And much of it became arcane, so the learning was also solitary.

My banjo playing is a very good example; 52 years ago, when I began playing the 5-string, no one knew a thing about playing it. It was all a process of learning how to listen as intently as my eyes see things, and all self-discovery afterwards.
52 years later, I'm still learning new tunes in exactly the same way. And the banjo remains just as challenging as it ever was, even though I've gotten to be a very good player. Retirement has allowed me to spend more time than ever with it.

I think everyone has more of this self-discovery stuff in them than they realize. Taking back up a youthful passion is never a bad thing, as long as it isn't competitive or viewed competitively with others.

While I began to follow my star at a young age, and following it did cause me troubles in my life, I now think that was actually the only choice for me. While i have no lasting regrets, I wonder now what I would have taken up that i've never done. But I'm very seldom bored or lonely living alone.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:44 AM

7,490 posts, read 4,969,060 times
Quote:

My father told me a story about my grandmother; who loved the movies. She would put on her hat and coat and go to the movies even if she was walking alone. After the movie, my father's friends would see his mother on the street and walk her home. That would have been between 1945 and 1963. That was not only my grandmother's generation, that was my generation.

I don't know what it is ... but it's like having an upside down bucket on my head.

I know what I want, I know how to do it, and then the upside-down bucket falls on my head and I decide to skip it. Very rarely do I play it out, but when I do it's both interesting and scary.

I have drums ... but I'm afraid of bothering the neighbours with the noise. Drumming is like plucking the guitar or banging on the piano ... it feels good, but piano is better than guitar because it avoids the bloody, calloused fingertips, it sounds better, and the neighbours don't mind so much.

I'm free ... feels like free-falling into an understanding that time speeds by, and we are little more than plebs with privilege. Take an art class ... do a sport ... go to church ... volunteer ... no. That's not the answer for me. I do art without the class. I do sport without the team. I don't need church because I know what I believe. I have volunteered and been disappointed with the recipients of that service.

I've travelled, and other than an African Safari ... and only for the purpose of photographing the eyeballs of the animals ... bugs would capture my interest.

If you spent your life chasing your whims, embracing your next interest ... when you have 20-50 years left ... what to do next?

Old 07-03-2015, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I learned at age 18 what I was good at and wasn't. For the rest of my life, I stuck with the things I was good at, and over the years, I became better at doing them, and they all led to other things I learned and got good at. But really, all the exotic stuff I eventually learned to do as a living and avocation, were all pretty simple in the beginning, and there were only a few of them.

I'm still doing all the stuff I ever did, expect for the things that involve high places and very strenuous physical work. I can do some of the latter, but not as much or as frequently.

While I'm quite sociable, all my lifelong pursuits have been pretty solitary in nature. And much of it became arcane, so the learning was also solitary.

My banjo playing is a very good example; 52 years ago, when I began playing the 5-string, no one knew a thing about playing it. It was all a process of learning how to listen as intently as my eyes see things, and all self-discovery afterwards.
52 years later, I'm still learning new tunes in exactly the same way. And the banjo remains just as challenging as it ever was, even though I've gotten to be a very good player. Retirement has allowed me to spend more time than ever with it.

I think everyone has more of this self-discovery stuff in them than they realize. Taking back up a youthful passion is never a bad thing, as long as it isn't competitive or viewed competitively with others.

While I began to follow my star at a young age, and following it did cause me troubles in my life, I now think that was actually the only choice for me. While i have no lasting regrets, I wonder now what I would have taken up that i've never done. But I'm very seldom bored or lonely living alone.
Exactly ... good at math but a slow reader, get better at reading. Good reader, not a good writer, get better at writing. Good at art but not good at design, get better. Shy so get better at socializing. Life is like this endless upside-down bucket of realizing that you would rather have 17 lives to live, but it's only one ... paralyzed with what next half way through.

It seems to be a pursuit of something other than volunteering and playing the banjo.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
We learned young to never complain about being "bored". Mom would put us to work!
Of course ... and if the work was done and we were still bored, we could count ... count the steps, count the dandelions we didn't collect for ten dandelion tops a penny, count the raspberries we ate before we filled the bucket. If we were bored, we learned fast to figure out something before we had another job to complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement