Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:38 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,403,320 times

Advertisements

All good info. And yes I agree it is a philosophical question. As for SS, I have not been hinging on what my SS would be. Honestly I wish I could have waived my SS contributions and just invested them myself.
On the philosophical end, I don't think it's an age, it's a financial peace or contentment. If my house is paid for, and I have other investments, I really don't need too much money.
But back on point, it seems more of you are saying to stay and collect the extra point and a half per year than leave.
Back to square one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 05:08 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,960,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
All good info. And yes I agree it is a philosophical question. As for SS, I have not been hinging on what my SS would be. Honestly I wish I could have waived my SS contributions and just invested them myself.
On the philosophical end, I don't think it's an age, it's a financial peace or contentment. If my house is paid for, and I have other investments, I really don't need too much money.
But back on point, it seems more of you are saying to stay and collect the extra point and a half per year than leave.
Back to square one
I don't think you should go by whatever the majority opinion seems to be here in this thread, or in any other thread. Of course you are interested in the feedback and you will give it all some thought. But having thought about it, you may still decide that what is right FOR YOU is not what the majority is recommending!

However, there is one piece of information you have not yet shared with the rest of us, unless I missed it, namely how much you enjoy your job right now (i.e., whether you would miss it), and whether you have some activities or projects for retirement that you are eagerly looking forward to. That is part of the non-financial aspect of the decision, and it is also important.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
namely how much you enjoy your job right now (i.e., whether you would miss it), and whether you have some activities or projects for retirement that you are eagerly looking forward to. That is part of the non-financial aspect of the decision, and it is also important.
Ahhhh, and there is the rub. I purposely left certain personal info out. I did this because I only wanted a mathematical answer. Stay, I gain 1.5% per year but will "cost" me over $200,000 for 5 years. ( I can sit home an collect that after taxes, or spend MY time going to work, putting my life on the line, my 50 mile commute, my time away from family during holidays because I "have" to work and take home an extra 2-3 hundred a week.) I really don't want to do my job for 3 hundred a week, sorry.
Short answer, I've been truly blessed to have this job. It has afforded my family many opportunities, however it's not me, it's not my life. My wife and I loonnggg time ago said I would do our twenty years and move from the city/ny. We love the outdoors, we love gardening, I love vegetables and dream on having a few acres to grow food, have bees. Heck we just got chickens this year but there's only so much I can do on an 80x100 lot lol.
We are awed by some of my wife's friends who love in western ny. They have their tremendous veggie gardens fruit trees etc. simple life, what I see is contentment. I say to myself, this is what I want to do. I want to live, I want to grow plants, fruit trees, rows of strawberries, chickens, goats,. I know it sounds bizarre to some. But it's what I want to do. Two areas we are considering are western ny to be near friends, or delaware. Lol, despite wny's beauty, I grew up in the salt and there is this draw to that. Delaware has that and farmland plus the rest of the Delmarva peninsula . We are artists, musicians. We write music, draw, paint. Am I drawing a picture for you?
I am grateful for my job, but it's not what defines me. Here homes are very expensive, taxes are killer. Anyway that's my jangled answer .

Old 06-30-2015, 07:52 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,960,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Ahhhh, and there is the rub. I purposely left certain personal info out. I did this because I only wanted a mathematical answer. Stay, I gain 1.5% per year but will "cost" me over $200,000 for 5 years. ( I can sit home an collect that after taxes, or spend MY time going to work, putting my life on the line, my 50 mile commute, my time away from family during holidays because I "have" to work and take home an extra 2-3 hundred a week.) I really don't want to do my job for 3 hundred a week, sorry.
Short answer, I've been truly blessed to have this job. It has afforded my family many opportunities, however it's not me, it's not my life. My wife and I loonnggg time ago said I would do our twenty years and move from the city/ny. We love the outdoors, we love gardening, I love vegetables and dream on having a few acres to grow food, have bees. Heck we just got chickens this year but there's only so much I can do on an 80x100 lot lol.
We are awed by some of my wife's friends who love in western ny. They have their tremendous veggie gardens fruit trees etc. simple life, what I see is contentment. I say to myself, this is what I want to do. I want to live, I want to grow plants, fruit trees, rows of strawberries, chickens, goats,. I know it sounds bizarre to some. But it's what I want to do. Two areas we are considering are western ny to be near friends, or delaware. Lol, despite wny's beauty, I grew up in the salt and there is this draw to that. Delaware has that and farmland plus the rest of the Delmarva peninsula . We are artists, musicians. We write music, draw, paint. Am I drawing a picture for you?
I am grateful for my job, but it's not what defines me. Here homes are very expensive, taxes are killer. Anyway that's my jangled answer .
Sorry for steering the conversation away from the "mathematical answer" which you were seeking, but I continue to believe the non-mathematical part is extremely important. Based on that additional personal information which you provided above, it makes a lot of sense (to me) for you to go ahead and retire after 20 years. Money is not everything (and it's not like your pension will be at poverty level!) and you do indeed have another life to look forward to eagerly.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:46 PM

Thank you everyone for your input. Time will tell. But for now I will live in the present and continue to invest towards our future. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement