Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 04:30 PM

9,379 posts, read 14,272,676 times

Advertisements

As the original poster, I'm sorry the thread is causing some upset. I was indeed asking for a discussion of amenities and issues for active 55+ communities where (among other things) people actually owned yards that they may or may not be able to fence for dogs, much to their chagrin.

However, other than that I guess senior apartment complexes might face parallel situations. Both senior complexes and 55+ communities have people who would like to keep their dogs or cats when they move in, or replace old companions when they die. They both would appreciate dog parks and dog walk areas, and explicit rules for harmoniously living with all of their neighbors.

But in the case of the active 55+ community there are a few added issues. These communities encourage clubs for their residents, most of whom are the property owners. The owners probably have the funds to fence their little yards if they are allowed to. Because of high HOA fees, they often are paying for access to pools, fitness centers, and golf courses that they may barely use. So why not provide a little more institutional attention to their favorite hobby: dog walking, dog care, and dog training? Obviously there are places that do cater a bit to animal-lovers and I thank those of you who are providing insight into this. I like the idea that more and more of us are interested in the issue and drawing attention to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 11:36 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,126,633 times
I just repped Luv4Horses post above because I think it's an important issue. While there are some seniors who could care less about dogs and fenced yards, I still think there are many many more who want this amenity and would trade their golf course dues for this, if they could. Del Webb has been building these communities for so many years. Why doesn't he (they) get with the times and explore some other options? JMHO

Old 07-08-2015, 12:38 PM

10,399 posts, read 8,077,926 times
Fencing in particular is something I think could be easily incorporated. I can see the HOA wanting to stick with one or two approved styles, and fence installation would be something the home owner would need to pay for as an option, but it certainly would be feasible to allow it.

I suspect a lot of people (not just owners of large dogs) would appreciate the option of having a fenced back yard!

Old 07-09-2015, 09:56 AM

174 posts, read 369,413 times
Default Pet Friendly Communities

It is funny how some people think we are nuts, because we allow our "dogs" to dictate where we will live. Unfortunately, what many people do not understand is the strength of the bond that can be developed between the dog and owner! My dogs are more loyal to me than any human being could ever be. They provide me with more love, joy and less disappointment than any human ever could. They truly are my "best" friends. You folks that don't understand or just can't get that..........too bad for you!
Unfortunately, many dog owners are irresponsible, which is unacceptable. However, I am not one of those!
I do think though, that is why there aren't more dog friendly communities, because it takes only one irresponsible dog owner to ruin it for everyone else!

We have been searching for the same kind of retirement home that you describe. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of money. We did find a few communities around Ocala, Fl (Oak Run, Palm Cay, Cherrywood) that allow fenced yards. But it is difficult finding them elsewhere.
Somebody needs to start a website (and maybe a new community) exclusively for us dog lovers!

Sincerely,

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Another thread on desirability (or not) of 55+ age restricted communities got me thinking that my personal problem would revolve around being able to have pets. I would never want to move anywhere without my two dogs, as I really, really, really enjoy having dogs! I find I like a lot of other people who have dogs, too, and can imagine walking or hiking with these companions in my even older age. Looking quickly online it seems that catering to people with pets is sort of an afterthought. If there are dog parks they need to be big fenced pastures, not tiny little 1/10th acre lots. People need to be able to have a fenced yard, and of course the fences need to be suitable and attractive. We need an animal lovers community! Of course I will be the first to admit there would need to be tons of reasonable rules. Animal lovers can be annoying as much as anyone, so a common agreement to what is acceptable is important too.

Are there any truly pet friendly age restricted communities? I guess as a minimum they would need a big dog park, walking trails, and the ability to fence your little yard. Cats I'm guessing would be kept indoors, or the homes might have 'cat-ios' Catio Spaces - Diy Catio Plans And Cat Enclosures .

Old 07-09-2015, 06:01 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,344,455 times
Quote:
As the original poster, I'm sorry the thread is causing some upset. I was indeed asking for a discussion of amenities and issues for active 55+ communities where (among other things) people actually owned yards that they may or may not be able to fence for dogs, much to their chagrin.

However, other than that I guess senior apartment complexes might face parallel situations. Both senior complexes and 55+ communities have people who would like to keep their dogs or cats when they move in, or replace old companions when they die. They both would appreciate dog parks and dog walk areas, and explicit rules for harmoniously living with all of their neighbors.

But in the case of the active 55+ community there are a few added issues. These communities encourage clubs for their residents, most of whom are the property owners. The owners probably have the funds to fence their little yards if they are allowed to. Because of high HOA fees, they often are paying for access to pools, fitness centers, and golf courses that they may barely use. So why not provide a little more institutional attention to their favorite hobby: dog walking, dog care, and dog training? Obviously there are places that do cater a bit to animal-lovers and I thank those of you who are providing insight into this. I like the idea that more and more of us are interested in the issue and drawing attention to it.
You know what would be wonderful in a circumstance like that? A dog trainer who has classes. Many dogs misbehave since they aren't trained to, and sometimes homemade methods only sort of work. If you could pay a reasonable fee to have a class with a pro then it would not only make for peace of mind in the neighbors hearing but in your own home.

My inlaws love their 55 plus place but aside from picking up the mail and the exercise class don't use the pool or attend the other activities they are paying for. It's unfortunate they don't have an opt out or choose so many for the normal sum so if you never go to the classes, you don't pay for them.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:13 PM

87 posts, read 211,405 times
Seems to me that Las Vegas would be ideal for pet owners in +55 communities. There are numerous such communities in Las Vegas and, to my knowledge there is no lack of homes with backyards fenced off for privacy or pets. Building a new one would just require the approval of the HOA. I do not have a dog now, but once in awhile just stop by one of many dog parks in Las Vegas just to enjoy seeing the animals running around like crazy. They are plenty big for the dogs and well maintained.
One I just saw had half dozen separate areas. One or two were closed to let the grass grown back, which shows concern for the appearance of the park and health of the dogs. The open areas are divided for big and little dog use. Of course, Las Vegas,like any major city or most towns has leash laws and requires the usual vaccinations. Outside the city are millions of acres to roam over with your dog.
Cat? There are some coyotes around that would like nothing better than to snack on one, so few cats roam around for long, even in the city areas. (BTW "city" here is mostly suburbia.)

Last edited by agreeableone; 07-09-2015 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 07-12-2015, 05:14 PM

10,218 posts, read 7,661,464 times
Quote:
Another thread on desirability (or not) of 55+ age restricted communities got me thinking that my personal problem would revolve around being able to have pets. I would never want to move anywhere without my two dogs, as I really, really, really enjoy having dogs! I find I like a lot of other people who have dogs, too, and can imagine walking or hiking with these companions in my even older age. Looking quickly online it seems that catering to people with pets is sort of an afterthought. If there are dog parks they need to be big fenced pastures, not tiny little 1/10th acre lots. People need to be able to have a fenced yard, and of course the fences need to be suitable and attractive. We need an animal lovers community! Of course I will be the first to admit there would need to be tons of reasonable rules. Animal lovers can be annoying as much as anyone, so a common agreement to what is acceptable is important too.

Are there any truly pet friendly age restricted communities? I guess as a minimum they would need a big dog park, walking trails, and the ability to fence your little yard. Cats I'm guessing would be kept indoors, or the homes might have 'cat-ios' Catio Spaces - Diy Catio Plans And Cat Enclosures .
I don't like dog parks and wouldn't use one. I think they're dangerous. Dogs without their shots, or a fight breaks out.

But a fenced yard and ability to walk dogs in the neighborhood or go to a nearby all-purpose park (on leash, with pooper bags in hand) would be great.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:56 PM

174 posts, read 369,413 times
Default Dog Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I don't like dog parks and wouldn't use one. I think they're dangerous. Dogs without their shots, or a fight breaks out.

But a fenced yard and ability to walk dogs in the neighborhood or go to a nearby all-purpose park (on leash, with pooper bags in hand) would be great.
Yes, I completely agree. Another problem with dog parks is when stupid people bring-in aggressive dogs and don't supervise them. They shouldn't bring aggressive dogs.............but at least supervise them.
Sometimes I think that the dogs have much more sense than some of the people!! Back to what I originally said about how irresponsible dog owners ruin it for others!
My 2 cents.
David

Old 07-13-2015, 07:41 AM

51,736 posts, read 26,039,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDog2 View Post
Another problem with dog parks is when stupid people bring-in aggressive dogs and don't supervise them. They shouldn't bring aggressive dogs.............but at least supervise them.
I've been to dog parks three times in my life. Each time there were dominate dogs making life miserable for the submissive ones. Chasing them around. Cornering them against the fence...

The dimwitted owners stood around like this was perfectly acceptable, yammering about how the dogs would "work it out."

It was a playground where the bullies were allowed to roam free.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:48 AM

51,736 posts, read 26,039,718 times
55+ communities with fenced back patio areas and areas where people could walk dogs on leashes would be a ideal.

Several problems with aging people having dogs is that it becomes difficult to care for them as we age. Walking them every day, making sure that someone cares for them if we end up in the hospital...

As it becomes more difficult to bend over (balance problems, declining physical ability) some older people quit picking up after their dogs. Sense of smell can change until it is no longer acute enough to recognize accidents in the house.

We love our dogs. But I can foresee a time when we will no longer be able to be responsible owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement