Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 05:47 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,955,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"I think I need to buy a little truck!"

That's handy for both moving stuff IN and later, when you regret buying all that stuff, moving stuff OUT...
Don't plan on moving anything out. It takes me a long long time to find what I want and decide whether or not to buy it so by the time I do I know it's going to be with me for a long time. lol This is the first big piece of furniture I've bought since I moved in and it's been over five months. Next project will be furnishing my guest bedroom but, again, it's taking me forever to decide exactly what I want and then try to find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Congrats, AZDBrat, nice to see the new place coming together!
You know what they say...slowly but surely!

Old 09-10-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
AZDesertBrat, Re -- what to put the tv on -- We still have the big bulky TV's in our family room and bedroom, but when we do replace them, the upstairs one will go on some type of stand that is either a dresser or cupboard. We want to do double-duty with the space, tv and storage underneath. The downstairs one will stay small enough so it will still fit in the allotted area of our entertainment center/bookshelves. A great place to get some inspiring ideas is Pinterest -- I love to go exploring on there!
I don't have a whole lot of space in my TV room so whatever I get has to be fairly small. I only have one TV left and it's a 42" flat screen. Right now it's on a three shelf plant stand sort of thing. It works but not what I want.

I haven't checked out Pinterest much but do like to check out Hometalk. They give me great ideas for reusing things.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:53 PM

1,042 posts, read 882,556 times
Today I added more pmc silver to my jewelry making stash. And I not only hoard them, but I sleep with something from my collection every night. I am currently going through an "owl" phase, and tonight I will be sleeping with a bottle of amber colored swarovski crystals that I often use on my owl jewelry. I have done this my entire life, and I have slept with some very unusual things over the years.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:58 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,813,657 times
^^^ Pics please!!!!!!!!!!! Of the jewelry!!!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2015, 04:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,359,746 times
I ordered a pair of Keens for an impending vacation, and I'm wearing them right now. I took an old pair of shoes out of my closet and put in the Goodwill pile.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:19 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,377,349 times
I seriously did a lot of spending today, mostly things to help organize the kitchen. I can't believe how anyone thought these cabinets worked well. And it doesn't help that I can't bend. That limits what I put in the lower cabinets. So, I look for space savers & whenever I see something I snatch it up.
Today I ordered: Handy baskets, 2 for small packets, soup, spice, etc. 1 for vitamins & 3 small ones for spices. Then I ordered a car mat set for my car & splurged on an art studio set-up, pastels, oils, etc. That was from 1 company.
Then I totally splurged at my favorite company: a silicone whisk set, a car mop mitt, a magnetic pickup telescoping tool, a bacon saver, refrigerator bin liners, & broom & tool holders & some female things, no need to go into detail.

The reason for all the splurging? My lawyer is finally going to release the rest of my money (fingers crossed) after over a year of getting the insurance monies. He said he was waiting to make sure no one made a claim (I already paid over $27,000 which the insurance companies hadn't paid-they did pay over $100,000 in Dr bills for the back injuries). He made sure he was paid & has been holding my $33,000 for over a year.

Yes, I probably made a big mistake in hiring him, but what's done is done & I will receive a total of $74,000 which sounds good but will never make up for having to walk with a cane or walker & will never be able to bend again.

I invested most of the first monies & had to look away when I got my last statement & saw that I lost $2,000 in the last month. I am going to trust my brother who is an investment counselor & put most of the monies I receive with him.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:50 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,815,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I invested most of the first monies & had to look away when I got my last statement & saw that I lost $2,000 in the last month. I am going to trust my brother who is an investment counselor & put most of the monies I receive with him.
The difference between what you put in and what you take out is what you made or lost; that in between stuff will make you crazy if you watch it too close. I also have someone else doing the money management, so the only reason I look is just to gauge whether I am spread the way I want to be. The market dropped 10% and I dropped 4%, so he was listenting to me about my current risk tolerance when selecting the funds I am in now.
It's all about the end game of when you put it in and pull it out. The vast majority of my account is stuff I purchased when the market was well below current levels.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:13 AM

22,130 posts, read 13,287,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
You know what they say...slowly but surely!
The "organic" method is always best.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:57 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,377,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
The difference between what you put in and what you take out is what you made or lost; that in between stuff will make you crazy if you watch it too close. I also have someone else doing the money management, so the only reason I look is just to gauge whether I am spread the way I want to be. The market dropped 10% and I dropped 4%, so he was listenting to me about my current risk tolerance when selecting the funds I am in now.
It's all about the end game of when you put it in and pull it out. The vast majority of my account is stuff I purchased when the market was well below current levels.
I wouldn't have looked but the investment company sent a statement . Regardless, as I said, I'm going to trust my brother. He doesn't charge immediate family & he's doubled everyone's investments. I won't be taking anything out for at least 8 years, at 70 & then only if I have to. So I'll keep closing my eyes, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement