Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 10:06 AM

159 posts, read 632,506 times

Advertisements

I am keeping less idle money in the bank nowadays and using the liberated funds to buy more food when I see good sale prices and I am going to more weekend yard sales looking for things that I can probably sell on Ebay later on for a nice profit. Are any of you in the deflation camp here? I can not see prices going down on any necessities right now. Maybe take my concerns as a contrarian indicator? I'd like to think that I am wrong and that prices and wages will get back to happier harmony sooner than later, but I do not think we have seen anything yet. The banks may pay us 2% in a buy and hold CD account. Meanwhile, food prices can go up another 10% in a year. I like my money to get more bang for the buck than a bank can offer. I do not remember the 1970's all that well as I was a kid, but pundits try to remind me that we have better safeguards now than we did in th 1970s. That is the confidence they try to anchor us on. I am probably too worried about nothing as I have family,food, shelter, a job and material affluences more than I had 20 years ago. Does every generation wrestle with periods of major doubt about the economy and the stewards of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 10:30 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
We aren't hoarding anything. We have started making more Costco trips because some of our staples are a heck of a lot cheaper there. We also put in a big vegetable and herb garden in our side yard this year, which will help with some of our staples like broccoli, tomatoes, thyme and carrots.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:44 AM

I am hoarding food IMHO. I have much more than I need for the next few weeks. I load up on sale items that I actually use. I keep the cupboards stocked and check dates and rotate as needed. I never really bothered to stock up on sales items. Maybe I have just gone on to a more frugal purchasing habit instead? It is hard to hoard gasoline. I gather some may hoard wood if the have wood-burning stoves. Is there anything outside of food and fuel that is worth the bother of stocking up on? Don't say gold,guns,ammo, liquor and cigarettes. I am already up to my ears in fear of inflation out-pacing wage increases.Last thing I need is a doomsday ultimatum.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:58 AM

I missed something we all should try to hoard and will cost not much or take up much space. We should collect the seeds of heirloom variety of vegetables and fruits. Once the means of food production is finally 100% controlled by the Monsantos of the world, game over. Once again, we are told to not worry and let government and business be the stewards. You have to understand that growing your own food has been relegated to a poor/thrifty view in society. How much longer before you have to buy the seeds that corporations sell you to grow your own food and can not raise your own plants for seed?

Old 05-16-2008, 11:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Here's a seed link..heirlooms packed for long term storage:

Everlasting Seeds

Old 05-16-2008, 12:05 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Thanks to a friend, I've discovered the joy of grocery shopping at a discount restaurant food supply store! Can't get a box of Cheerios or one tomato there, but they have all kinds of top-quality fresh, frozen and packaged foods, as well as cleaning supplies and table supplies. The food is excellent quality -- and it's in serious quantity, so as soon as I haul this inexpensive food home, I make smaller packages and freeze 95% of what I buy. I am in heaven!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcellentFudge View Post
looking for things that I can probably sell on Ebay later on for a nice profit.
Exc, for years Ebay deified sellers and treated buyers like trash. Now they've reversed that. Before you put much money into purchasing for resale on Ebay, you might want to read this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/other...t-may-1st.html

Old 05-17-2008, 08:33 AM

Default Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Exc, for years Ebay deified sellers and treated buyers like trash. Now they've reversed that. Before you put much money into purchasing for resale on Ebay, you might want to read this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/other...t-may-1st.html
I think there will be alternatives to Ebay in the years ahead. Look at Craigslist as one example. Ebay happened at the right place and right time, but they depend upon individuals who negotiate amongst themselves price and other logistics. Ebay just provides a message-board, if you will, for buyer and seller to connect. Paypal, that is another doozie. I use them to pay a seller but I will never use them for selling stuff. Too many headaches I hear dealing with them as a seller and the fees are another tax on your profit anyway.

Like I posted originally, my cash is not worth more than 2% annually right now to hold in any insured bank account. Maybe some here can find CDs that pay 3% annually. I tie up $10,000 for a year to get perhaps $250 after tax money? Hmmm, something says to me we will see more bartering in the years to come. Cash is just not getting any traction in normal channels.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:39 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcellentFudge View Post
I am keeping less idle money in the bank nowadays and using the liberated funds to buy more food when I see good sale prices and I am going to more weekend yard sales looking for things that I can probably sell on Ebay later on for a nice profit. Are any of you in the deflation camp here? I can not see prices going down on any necessities right now. Maybe take my concerns as a contrarian indicator? I'd like to think that I am wrong and that prices and wages will get back to happier harmony sooner than later, but I do not think we have seen anything yet. The banks may pay us 2% in a buy and hold CD account. Meanwhile, food prices can go up another 10% in a year. I like my money to get more bang for the buck than a bank can offer. I do not remember the 1970's all that well as I was a kid, but pundits try to remind me that we have better safeguards now than we did in th 1970s. That is the confidence they try to anchor us on. I am probably too worried about nothing as I have family,food, shelter, a job and material affluences more than I had 20 years ago. Does every generation wrestle with periods of major doubt about the economy and the stewards of it?
I was asking my Dad the very same question yesterday. I am 44 years old and don't recall ever living in a time where the gap between wages, return on $$ have been so vast compared with the costs of food, gas and other necessities. almost weekly, i am finding that the costs of restaurant food, dry cleaners, hair dresser, gasoline are all creeping upwards while money earned remains the same. when i was a kid in the 70s, i remember that there was a lot of concern about inflation, but it doesn't seem like it was this bad. if the food prices ever do go down again, will the restaurants lower the now increased prices or increase their profit margin by maintaining those prices when their costs have actually gone down?

Old 05-17-2008, 07:55 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I was asking my Dad the very same question yesterday. I am 44 years old and don't recall ever living in a time where the gap between wages, return on $$ have been so vast compared with the costs of food, gas and other necessities. almost weekly, i am finding that the costs of restaurant food, dry cleaners, hair dresser, gasoline are all creeping upwards while money earned remains the same. when i was a kid in the 70s, i remember that there was a lot of concern about inflation, but it doesn't seem like it was this bad. if the food prices ever do go down again, will the restaurants lower the now increased prices or increase their profit margin by maintaining those prices when their costs have actually gone down?
Hi. My husband and I are approaching 40 and we are right there with you. Every time he discusses this with his father, his father argues that this isn't true. We think he's just in la la land. Mind you, he's highly intelligent and we love him to death, but in la la land he lives. What does your father think?

And, in response to the initial post, we don't hoard, but sometimes I think we should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance