Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:22 AM

7,344 posts, read 6,970,200 times

Advertisements

Much of my accumulation is given to me ,only the food is an investment and it has paid off big time as I am now retired and money is thin.
I have a great many tools due to my trade, and continued tinkering in the same field even now,
If it's hoarding ,so be it .
Being a Christian what is in my possession belongs to God,(not the church) and often times need to dispence things to others .
I have a significant surplus that seems to grow beneath me as it were.
I donate old clothes and things to Salvation army too ,and try to sell some stuff from time to time but the economy is suffering ,shipping alone can exceed the value of the merchandise.
I have some things set for recycle as well ,all in due course.
Because I build things I cannot afford to buy ,there is some stuff that is set aside for that purpouse .
Speaking of which I have chickens to feed .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 12:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,321,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
What have I added to my hoard? why, cash, of course

That is, I'm paying off my debts as fast as I can. Every time we get even $20 extra, they go towards CC balances. We also took out an interest-free CC for 15 months, took out $3000 cash, to pay down the other, high-interest accounts.Then we make sure to hit the zero interest cards as much as we can. Its almost a high we get from paying those suckers off!
Excellent! I hope this is the year for you.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,321,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Maybe this isn't what the thread is about, but I've been giving away some items I've been hoarding. The items I truly loved, not just to clear out the junk.

I collect nativity scenes and my favorite in one I bought in Mexico many decades ago. I paid, about $25 for it then. Then, years later I saw one just like it in the Galleria for $350! But no way would I sell it, I loved it, it had so many memories attached to it. I intended to leave it to my son or daughter one day.

then, some Mexican people really helped us when things were tough. I gifted them the nativity scene, precisely because I loved it so much. I no longer have room for it, I was thinking of donating it to a church, its a large, display type, but I felt the love that was in it would go forward with my Mexican friends. My kids would probably not have room to store it, in your 20's you move around a lot and stuff gets damaged, lost, etc, or they would probably just sell it for whatever. I know now it has a new home and someone else gets pleasure from it!
How wonderful! I've given things before precisely because I loved them. It is an interesting feeling.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:02 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,950,411 times
Since we plan to relocate in a year or so, I have been trying hard to wean myself from a life long habit of stocking up non perishable foods, kitchen/bathroom consumables when they are on sale.

I still buy multiple units when they are on sale but have to make sure that they will be used within a year. Just last week, I bought about 15lbs of decaf coffee beans when I found them at Shop Rite. For whatever reasons, many stores now only sell ground decaf coffee. I have been searching for decaf beans for a while without much luck until last week. I did checked into ordering decaf beans online but the cost went up quite a bit with s/h.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:41 PM

563 posts, read 527,239 times
Default Bottled Vanilla Extract

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
At the request of some fellow posters I am starting this thread. Most of us are aware we need to downsize, are frantically doing it now, or have downsized in the past.

What about the flip side of this? Getting older isn't all about letting go of absolutely everything, no?

Okay, here goes. Last week I sprung for a pair of shoes I've been stalking. I didn't need them, but they will make my outfits more workable in the hotter months when I want to wear boot cut jeans, which IMO look ridiculous with boat shoes and at the very least questionable with ballet flats.

I bought some books for DH, he says he's going to weed some out. Wink wink nod.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

If you think this is in the wrong forum please tell a moderator, thanks.

Ok, so it was imitation. It was dirt cheap!!! A grocery store by where I live was going out of business. Usually sold for $1.49 per bottle, which is not a bad price. But at 45 cents, is an amazing steal. I bought all that they had!!! (14 bottles) I have paid as much as $3.25 per bottle, in the past.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:51 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,112,708 times
It was a great day! Got a delivery of cool Ukrainian stuff which included a woven purse, read wooden beads, a necklace of clay beads with a Hutsul cross, and a small Hutsul cross. Cool! I've been eyeing this stuff for months now and decided if I wanted it that badly, buy it. I can hardly wait to put this stuff together with some outfits. I LOVE being a girl.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:02 PM

37,595 posts, read 61,699,429 times
My Dw and I spent much of the day cleaning today.

We moved a cast-iron potbelly stove outside. We have used it through 2 winters purely as a back-up heat source, burning coal. Our primary heat source is a woodstove, we decided we do not need the coal anymore. I listed the potbelly stove in a local buy/sell/trade.

My Dw brought home a wood/coal cook stove that needs some repair work. So we moved that into position today, where it can be worked on and eventually brought into use. It is seriously heavy, I am glad to have had her help in moving it.

I almost convinced her to get rid of the old TV set. We used to get 1 channel, but when they shifted from hi-power analog to lo-power digital we lost that channel. I bought a tower, big fancy antenna, signal amplifier and converter box, but we were never able to get any TV channels back. I sold all that extra gear. But we kept the old TV. My Dw has a large assortment of VHS tapes and DVDs. Some of the tapes are movies that we made when the children were growing up, etc. Since we lost TV reception, neither of us has watched that old TV. We both view stuff online now with our PCs. I almost got her to agree to toss out the TV.

Our shower is leaking. I need to rip it out and replace the floor underneath. We have already picked out the replacement bath and enclosure. Tomorrow I will go and get it. So it is here ready for when I do the swap-out. She is going to Europe for a few weeks, she wants to use the shower until she leaves. Then return to a new bathroom.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:09 PM

149 posts, read 188,920 times
Clothes. I adore adding to my wardrobe. Transitioning from professional working person wardrobe to retiree wardrobe is pretty traumatic. I've been trying to purchase more casual clothing, but it's hard to give up my heels.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:21 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,112,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwtxcitywoman View Post
Clothes. I adore adding to my wardrobe. Transitioning from professional working person wardrobe to retiree wardrobe is pretty traumatic. I've been trying to purchase more casual clothing, but it's hard to give up my heels.
Never give up the heels. Just wear them with skinney jeans, "boyfriend" or cropped jeans for a casual, yet sexy look.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:27 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,930,198 times
I bought another project car this week. I already have 3 cars to finish. My Sons say if I buy another one they are going to put me in a home.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement