Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 09:37 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,955,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I have learned many great things on CD. Of the lesser, more amusing things I've learned, is that there are some (thankfully only a few) who use their precious retirement time trying to one-up others, digging through their past posts of years back, trying to prove the point that they, themselves, are astute and superior. Such entertainment.
Why do I not notice stuff like this? I read a LOT of the posts here and I must be missing something because I don't see anyone acting more "astute and superior" than others. Or it might briefly flash through my mind as an "Oh my...!" moment but I forget about it fast. Maybe it's just because I've been a member of online forums for so many years I've just learned to brush off a lot. Anyway, I like everyone here and don't have any problem with anybody.

Thinking about what I've learned here...most of it too late for me to take advantage of!...it's been a really interesting 'adventure'. Finances, aging/health problems, downsizing, relocating and everything else talked about has taught me things I didn't know. It has made me Google so much! I've learned things about people and places that it never entered my mind to even be curious about.

An important thing I've learned is how great the people of this forum are. I expect I have driven a few people over the edge over the past six or seven months...or even the past year...with all that was going on in my life. From the time my mom started getting sick till she passed away, my brother became the SUPREME jerk of the century, the drama/stress and getting sick, buying my house...etc. etc.. I felt that a lot of that should have been posted in a different forum...if at all...but this was where I felt 'at home' and the support I received was priceless to me. For that I thank every one of you. So, I've learned that online friends are just as important to me as offline friends...maybe more so sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 10:28 AM

5,951 posts, read 5,140,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
An important thing I've learned is how great the people of this forum are. I expect I have driven a few people over the edge over the past six or seven months...or even the past year...with all that was going on in my life. From the time my mom started getting sick till she passed away, my brother became the SUPREME jerk of the century, the drama/stress and getting sick, buying my house...etc. etc.. I felt that a lot of that should have been posted in a different forum...if at all...but this was where I felt 'at home' and the support I received was priceless to me. For that I thank every one of you. So, I've learned that online friends are just as important to me as offline friends...maybe more so sometimes.
That expresses my feelings, too. Having joined this forum in March, 2015, I concentrated a lot on the Retirement thread as I felt connected to it. However, when some things happened in my life (loss of cat, search for another, difficulty getting her), I have been plainly criticized for using this forum and more or less called inappropriate.

I don't have a great support system here, live alone and am alone a lot. So when something like losing my cat happened, I turned to this forum for the support I was pretty sure I would get and I got it in spades. But there are at least one or two posters who didn't like it and weren't shy letting me know it.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:04 PM

13,746 posts, read 9,839,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
You're joking - right?
I'm absolutely serious. By my reckoning, "retirement" means the felicitous withdrawal from the phase of life where one primarily labors and accumulates, and segue into the phase where one reflects, enjoys and recreates. For me personally, it is entirely possible to work and to accumulate and to otherwise elevate oneself in isolation. But the enjoyment and leisure phase is only substantive if shared with another. Until that "another" becomes apparent, I have no reason to exchange the accumulation-phase for the recreation-phase, even if finances or health make to restriction.

From the various "retiring alone" threads, I've learned that whereas retiring with the lack of a spouse is possible – and almost inevitable for one half of a married couple – far harder is the predicament of a person who's truly alone, with no remaining relatives. Such a person can not afford to sever his/her connection to the workplace.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:10 PM

888 posts, read 893,796 times
I'm a relative newbie here but have found this forum to be a true jewel. I have lots of forum experience - primarily fitness-related - and have actually served as an administrator and moderator for one. So I can assess and appreciate a good forum when I see one and this is one great forum.

To answer the question, the most helpful thus far was in response to a poll I created asking those what their "cost of doing business" was living in retired status. The feedback and comments were very helpful and confirms what I believe to be the case - it's not that darn expensive.

The stuff about social security has been very helpful.

Good people here taking the time to share good information. I'll be back and hopefully contribute good stuff.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:25 PM

10,394 posts, read 8,077,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
From the various "retiring alone" threads, I've learned that whereas retiring with the lack of a spouse is possible – and almost inevitable for one half of a married couple – far harder is the predicament of a person who's truly alone, with no remaining relatives. Such a person can not afford to sever his/her connection to the workplace.
Sure they can, IF they work hard to develop new non-work friendships (preferably with other people who are single, or childfree couples). I think the folks who get in trouble are those who (either single or married) center their life on work; when they retire, there's nothing there to fill the void.

I think that one reason 55+ communities and planned retirement villages are so popular (with those who can afford them) is that they facilitate the process of making those new bonds. (The downside is that the bonds made are unlikely to include younger people. For that, you have to get involved with the wider community outside the retirement village.)

Old 07-07-2015, 12:36 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,034,740 times
I've brought some new retirees to the forum and they've expressed to me how they've appreciated, as I have, the pros and cons of financial issues such as annuities (different kinds) and reverse mortgage, etc...stuff you often don't get in mainstream articles. And, as others have mentioned, learning that there is a caring, supportive community out there even if it is largely anonymous. Many feel safe bringing questions and concerns, often difficult ones, to the forums that they wouldn't bring up with people they know. The mainstream articles are mostly about the ease and joy of retirement years, and it's not like this, always, for everyone. I've also enjoyed following "progress reports" from those here contemplating or making big changes in their retirement.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:43 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,815,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Sure they can, IF they work hard to develop new non-work friendships (preferably with other people who are single, or childfree couples). I think the folks who get in trouble are those who (either single or married) center their life on work; when they retire, there's nothing there to fill the void.

I think that one reason 55+ communities and planned retirement villages are so popular (with those who can afford them) is that they facilitate the process of making those new bonds. (The downside is that the bonds made are unlikely to include younger people. For that, you have to get involved with the wider community outside the retirement village.)
I am seriously considering a couple of communities that are not age restricted but have a strong contingent of seniors with several resident run activities through the HOA (browsing newsletters and looking at sites, I can see that has been going on for some time). I am aware that my lack of much of a social life could be a problem for me in retirement and I plan to take steps to keep that from happening. I wish I had been more social but I can't fix the past.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:54 PM

5,951 posts, read 5,140,541 times
I have learned that there are some wonderfully warm and kind people here. I cherish my "friendships" with them.

OTOH, I have also learned there are some snobs in this forum. They take away from the enjoyment of reading these posts.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:30 PM

10,394 posts, read 8,077,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I am seriously considering a couple of communities that are not age restricted but have a strong contingent of seniors with several resident run activities through the HOA (browsing newsletters and looking at sites, I can see that has been going on for some time). I am aware that my lack of much of a social life could be a problem for me in retirement and I plan to take steps to keep that from happening. I wish I had been more social but I can't fix the past.
No, you can't change the past - but you can make plans for the future, and it sounds like you've discovered some very good options for a retirement location!

Old 07-07-2015, 03:59 PM

17,819 posts, read 13,614,225 times
Ive learned about medicare Pt B and D. What plan to purchase. Even though i work for a large insurance company, I still needed hepl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement