Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 04:50 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,366,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I have learned that there are some wonderfully warm and kind people here. I cherish my "friendships" with them.

OTOH, I have also learned there are some snobs in this forum. They take away from the enjoyment of reading these posts.
Nygal, take those folks with a grain of salt. I have never understood that type of behavior/attitude, but then again, worked mainly in nonprofit. Even though I feel that sometimes I've posted without thinking it through & end up apologizing, it is normally a habit to think of what words can do to people. I think if anyone worked in a homeless shelter, they would be more careful with their words.
Or even thought, There but by the grace of God...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 05:11 PM

10,386 posts, read 8,063,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Ive learned about medicare Pt B and D. What plan to purchase. Even though i work for a large insurance company, I still needed hepl
I sometimes think stuff like Medicare and MediGap policies, long-term care insurance, and various retirement investment options like IRAs in all their various flavors are deliberately made to be more complicated and confusing than necessary in order to trick older people into spending money unnecessarily. How hard does this stuff really need to be, after all?

Old 07-07-2015, 05:28 PM

13,718 posts, read 9,816,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Sure they can, IF they work hard to develop new non-work friendships (preferably with other people who are single, or childfree couples). I think the folks who get in trouble are those who (either single or married) center their life on work; when they retire, there's nothing there to fill the void.
I emphatically agree! The implication for those of us who are still "pre-retirees" is to perhaps throttle back on our ambitions to upgrade from Director to VP in say our final decade of employment, and instead to direct our energies toward honing the social-skills necessary to build meaningful friendships outside of work. A sly duplicity and almost pathological level of manipulation is useful for success in the modern Western white-collar workplace. Practice this too much, and it bleeds over into one's life outside of work. Smiling and thanking people whom we loathe are required "social skills" in the office. Not so in our personal lives. Making that distinction is a crucial transition, requiring preparation and a revision of one's world view… just as much as spendthrift middle-aged person needs to revise his/her worldview, saving for retirement and cutting back on expenses.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:52 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,366,243 times
Quote:
I sometimes think stuff like Medicare and MediGap policies, long-term care insurance, and various retirement investment options like IRAs in all their various flavors are deliberately made to be more complicated and confusing than necessary in order to trick older people into spending money unnecessarily. How hard does this stuff really need to be, after all?
I decided to go with an agent. I think it was the wisest decision and feel that as a professional I always worked for the client, and think she will do the same.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:53 PM

17,241 posts, read 57,284,104 times
I guess the main thing I have learned so far is that there is no objective way to decide the "optimal" time when you would retire if you are still able to work well past your "nominal" retirement age. And, you know, like the Mickelson-Morley experiment that indicated the "ether" long thought to exist up to that point was not there, sometimes learning what does not exist is as valuable as learning what does.

Along with a lot of good discussions on how to maximize SS income, all sorts of investment and annuity plans available, and some good discussions on what different people think of as an "ideal" retirement location, and if moving from one's work home to a different retirement home makes sense.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,601,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
ER.. and the rest of the retirement forum...

I have learned that some people live less than happy lives, both before and after retirement.
Some are grouchy, super-sensitive, curmudgeons, for whom life is not so good.
Others are contented, happy, and open to the free, non-hostile exchange of ideas.
Life is good for them.

We discover soon enough who is who.
HEY! Watch the curmudgeon talk.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:59 AM

107,330 posts, read 109,727,924 times
Quote:
more complex depending on situations than most folks ever imagine. the less you have the more important getting all the angles right becomes.

as an example , just being slightly over the limit for having your ss taxed and taking a mere 1k more can see 50% of that extra 1k vanish in to taxes.

it is those with more modest retirement resources who need help the most.

if anyone does do not understand why that extra 1k can carry a 50% tax on it then you are an example of someone who possibly should not be dong your own planning.

most amateurs come up with plans or a hodge podge of plans that could have been a whole lot better.

most think paying for good advice is to expensive but the truth is they can't afford free.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:52 AM

149 posts, read 189,011 times
I've learned NOT to post humongous photos of myself, that men are onery at any age and are convinced new gals are "shopping", and that some folks here are really nice.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:41 PM

920 posts, read 937,712 times
I learned there are many people here who have parts of the social security program fully memorized.

It has helped me tremendously along with a little research

Old 07-09-2015, 04:45 PM

107,330 posts, read 109,727,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwtxcitywoman View Post
I've learned NOT to post humongous photos of myself, that men are onery at any age and are convinced new gals are "shopping", and that some folks here are really nice.
i always feel when i posted pictures of myself that women are undressing me with their eyes , and i just feel so cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement