Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 03:44 PM

22,043 posts, read 13,063,881 times

Advertisements

Do people really want their bereft pets living alone in a cage until they finally die of old age? They'll be grieving the loss of their person, home, and former life. Sometimes I wonder if ANYONE thinks about what's really best for the animal. I'll have mine put down rather than risk them falling into the shelter system and ending up miserable or, worse, in the wrong hands. There really isn't much of a demand for sick, middle-aged (and especially senior) pets in an overpopulated market, and sitting in a cage for even another five years would be sheer torture for mine. There's too much of the "life at any cost" and "living just for the sake of living" mentality where animals are concerned, IMHO. Quality; not quantity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 05:47 PM

14,983 posts, read 12,197,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Do people really want their bereft pets living alone in a cage until they finally die of old age? They'll be grieving the loss of their person, home, and former life. Sometimes I wonder if ANYONE thinks about what's really best for the animal. I'll have mine put down rather than risk them falling into the shelter system and ending up miserable or, worse, in the wrong hands. There really isn't much of a demand for sick, middle-aged (and especially senior) pets in an overpopulated market, and sitting in a cage for even another five years would be sheer torture for mine. There's too much of the "life at any cost" and "living just for the sake of living" mentality where animals are concerned, IMHO. Quality; not quantity.
You aren't alone in wanting your pets to be euthanized when you die, I have known several people who made those plans for their pets. One lady wanted her amazon parrot to be buried with her, and the other folks had cats.I know birds are often devoted go one person, and will not get along with anyone else, and I think there are cats who are the same way, so IMO it has to be a kindness to spare the animal the grieving, and lack of understanding what has happened, and the chance of being alone, neglected, unloved because no one wants the animal, and the animal wants no one but its owner. The problem is, that many vets will not euthanize a healthy animal, which might be ok too if they are willing to help find the animal a new loving home. That is what happened to the parrot whose owner I knew wanted it euthanized. I don't know how things ever turned out for the bird.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:49 PM

127 posts, read 314,433 times
Yes I want another pet or two but no I do not want the responsibility right now as I hope to travel.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:25 PM

10,117 posts, read 6,467,982 times
otterhere, there are rescues where pets can live in communal style housing and not in cages for the rest of their natural lives. That's the main reason I had initally contacted Best Friends Animal Sanctuary for my cats. However, I cannot tie up 160K toward their eventual care, especially if the sanctuary has the option of adopting them out again - AND keeping the money. So I am researching other rescues where any remaining cats (and, G-d willing, I will outlive them all) will go to a place where they can live their senior years out in a secure, happy home. I DO think about the quality of their lives, which is why I'm considering ALL the aspects of an eventual rehoming/rescue situation in the event of my death or entrance into an assisted living facility. The last cat I had to PTS was 19, so I take excellent care of them and they live long and healthy lives. I want them to live that way with or without me.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:27 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,403,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think YOU are MISSING the point. NO ONE is talking about unnecessary, prolonging a pet's life when clearly it is not in the best interest in the pet's life. You seem to be on a single band wagon that no one else is on.

At some point in a pet's life they get old. With age comes some medical concerns. Yes, I took care of my pet for two years as she aged. Then came the day when enough was enough and we made the painful decision to let her go. I clearly remember our wonderful Vet saying I think it is time (although I already knew that when I walked in for that visit). I took her home, we spent the evening saying good bye, carried her for her last walk, we took her back the next day and spent her last moments with her. The Vet left us in the room and said to take as much time as we wanted. Greedy Vet? No I don't think so, after caring for my dog for 15 years he did not charge us for our last two visits.
(Greedy Vet? No, he sent us a sweet card later that week and told us he donated $$ to a shelter in the memory of my dog.)

Old 07-09-2015, 11:09 AM

22,043 posts, read 13,063,881 times
Having worked in animal rescue, I'm just aware of how many hundreds (and thousands) of homeless animals there are out there, and how hard it is to find a sufficient number of GOOD homes (and a bad home is a fate worse than death). I, personally, just won't risk that with my own hard-to-place pets.

I've seen the fear, confusion, and pain in animals' eyes when their elderly person dies or goes to a nursing home and they're thrown into a shelter cage amid all the noise and chaos. So not worth it!

"Life at any cost" just isn't for me or mine, but YMMV (we all have an opinion).

All by way of saying: don't hesitate to adopt a needy pet just because you're old or the animal is old; just be sure the proper provisions are in place.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:49 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,633,137 times
I love pets but I live in a small apt with no yard to just let them go out in and besides I do not want to be outside picking up dog mess...just too old for that and it would make me gag! So I've always had pet birds and
in retirement I still have one cockatiel, age 9 years. She's plenty of company for me with very little expense!

Last edited by Littlelu; 07-09-2015 at 12:22 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 12:32 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,633,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Oh no, maybe you don't bond with non-talking birds but I sure do. I cried copious tears when one of my two "presents" from hubby had to be PTS, a parakeet. The vet sent me a sympathy card I was so upset. Then when Whitey had a heart attack, again, I cried. Same with all my non-talking birds. Even my little finch I rescued and had for only 6 months because the hole in her skull that the other birds at PetSmart that she was delivered with pecked through her skull to brains, finally killed her.

They may not talk like TwoBee but they all showed they "loved" me. Hopping around the cage when I uncover them, chirping away, "talking" to me during the day. Putting their head down for a goodnight head scratch. So many ways.

So I think a person can bond to any type of bird if they are inclined to love birds. A person can bond with ANY kind of animal if they are so inclined. WE may think it's a nasty type of pet but that's just our opinion. LOL, like I think people who love snakes and iguanas are nuts! That's just me though.

I agree, you can bond with a bird. My bird understands most of what I say to her and she sits on my shoulder and preens my hair for me! If I say I'll rub her neck, she tilts her head up so I can do so. So
funny. She's a cockatiel and so beautiful. I got her when she was 2 months old and now she's 9 years so
she's settled into living with me. She comes and goes out of her cage, mostly going to the top and sitting but will fly if I prompt her to.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1436466511
Attached Thumbnails
Do you feel you need, or want, a pet?-sspx00031.jpg  

Old 07-09-2015, 01:48 PM

508 posts, read 664,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Oh no, maybe you don't bond with non-talking birds but I sure do. <snippage"

So I think a person can bond to any type of bird if they are inclined to love birds. A person can bond with ANY kind of animal if they are so inclined. WE may think it's a nasty type of pet but that's just our opinion. LOL, like I think people who love snakes and iguanas are nuts! That's just me though.
Oh I'm sure people CAN. I have no intention of doing so however. I like my birds and they like me well enough, but finches don't get attached to people, they get attached to each other (you should never have just one finch, they won't do well).

Parrots are another matter. I don't want a parrot for exactly that reason, as well as the issue of relative lifespans. At this point in my life, the parrot is likely to outlive me.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:55 PM

508 posts, read 664,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I agree, you can bond with a bird. My bird understands most of what I say to her and she sits on my shoulder and preens my hair for me! If I say I'll rub her neck, she tilts her head up so I can do so. So
funny. She's a cockatiel and so beautiful. I got her when she was 2 months old and now she's 9 years so
she's settled into living with me. She comes and goes out of her cage, mostly going to the top and sitting but will fly if I prompt her to.
Cockatiels are hookbills. They are members of the cockatoo family, and cockatoos are parrots. Parrots and all of their ilk are different from finches.

I had cockatiels when I lived in Puerto Rico. Due to quarantine requirements to bring them to the mainland, I rehomed them in Puerto Rico.

Parrots bond with people fairly easily. Finches are flocking birds that bond with each other. They bond poorly or not at all with people. Still if a person is persistent, even a finch might bond with a person.

I don't intend to put any energy into forcing such a bond with my finches. I'm happy to enjoy watching them interact with each other. I have no interest in interfering with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement