Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 05:46 PM

563 posts, read 526,235 times

Advertisements

I grew up with a boat load of animals. Horses, dogs and cats, chickens, ducks, pheasants, peacocks, goats and Guinea pigs. I loved all of my animals. Of course now as an adult, living in the city, there really is no way I could have my own little private zoo like I used to. I don't have any pets at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 05:47 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,108,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I thought animalcrazy's post was right-on. Many retirees cant afford to go on vacation 25%-35% of the year. Please dont judge others by yourself.
Seriously! I traveled a bunch with pets - had great neighbors who took care of the hoard. I AM retired and haven't been anywhere in 7 years now. Can certainly afford it but I go through "spells". Pets generally do not keep me from traveling except for now with my bedridden Doberman who requires constant attention. But hey - he has given ME, 15 years of love and devotion and if I have to sit home a couple of years to take care of him in his last years - it is an honour.

So as I've said previously, we are all different and some of us can have pets AND travel IF we so choose.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,306,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
My goldens both were very people oriented and loving. But they know when someone is out of place.

However? Their bark was HUGE. And the growling sounds like an attack dog.

We do have a security system - but intruders will hear them from the street if they ever try to burglarize our home.
My two shepard mixes listen and tell me if someone is near. The male is very specific. He has his own bark for 'stranger' and points. He has to be able to look out the door to make sure its gone. But if they hear noises and people both go off in mad not on my lawn barks. You can hear it outside the door. And the beagle gets excited and the bark turns into a howl.

I'm not worried about someone scouting out the house to see if there's anything to steal.

My male also is cat monitor. If they are up to something naughty, he stares at them and has a special bark just for that. And seeing a cat of maybe three pounds come up to this big dog and rub him and him give him little gently kisses is amazing. I have a picture of by big boy sleeping on the bed with two of the littles (cats who just never grew much) asleep on his back.

When I was in California and there were breakins along the street, the cops said the best deterrat was a dog. My sheltie ate the couch cushions and the terrier helped so when not home they stayed in the bathroom by the door. One person tried to get the door open, but it was thick wood. I'm more inclined to wondering if the constant and increasing noise made him pick someone else.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:23 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,979,512 times
No more dogs; no more cats. Before I retired, I was busy with my job, my home, my kids, and the theater. Sometimes, I only spent five or six hours out of the day at home and those were spent sleeping. My last dog was gone in '75 and the last cat was in '85. The boys were getting older and involved in sports so they weren't home a lot and there just was no time for taking care of animals.

After retirement, I was still active in the theater and there were some crazy hours there. The boys were married and gone and I didn't think it fair to an animal to have me as their owner.

Currently, I have a hermit crab. I had two, but Herman died so I just have Little Boy. He doesn't say much but if the neighbors hear me talking to myself, I can always say I was talking to the crab. And I don't have to take him for a walk.

FTR: I don't dislike critters. It's just that I have all I can do to take care of me.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:10 PM

37,721 posts, read 46,178,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Seriously - there is no "mess" taking care of a dog.

Outside of one or two vomiting ups and pooping during potty training - our goldens have been more reliable than any of my siblings kids.

They even ask to be let out for potty and don't need diapers.

My first golden would have been humiliated to have gone in the house. He did everything he could to convey it was time to open the door.
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Old 07-06-2015, 09:01 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,931,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

I couldn't agree more with your feeling(s) about having a 'pet' in your everyday life

I'm in my 84th year and have had one or more pets since the age of 5. Mostly dogs, except in 1978 we (my late wife & I) adopted a very sweet cat from the local Humane Shelter that got along very well with our German Shepard and Labrador. In early 1980 we permanently moved from CO to MT and naturally the pets came with us.
The cat lasted about two months-------A Golden Eagle got him one Saturday morning while I was outside with the him. We decided not to get another since we were both working and the two dogs ....(that stayed in their outside dog-run during the day)...were just right: the Shepard was devoted to my wife and the Lab was my hunting 'partner'!

On another subject:...........................

I'm thinking of spending some of next winter in the Sedona/Cottonwood/Verde Valley area.
A friend of mine suggested I look into a B & B operation by the name of:...:"Luna Vista",.... which is outside of Camp Verde in the Verde Valley on Beaver Creek.................Do you know anything about this B & B?
Thanks in advance for any info.

Oh yeah, if I end up in that Verde Valley area say for Feb & March, how great is the risk of my dog running into a Rattle Snake if I am exercising him out in the boonies. I am familiar with the subject of having a dog "Snake-Broke" and Snake Vaccines.

Thanks again.
I lost a cat to a coyote once. Broke my heart and I've had a strong dislike for coyotes ever since.

I had never heard of Luna Vista till you mentioned it but Googled it and it sounds really nice. Sedona "quality" for sure. Only thing I saw that would stop me is that pets are not allowed indoors and are required to stay in their 'pet runs' which also cost extra.

As for the snakes...it's been a good many years since I've seen one but you might run into them in the boonies. Although I would think during the cooler months they'd be pretty scarce. I've only seen them during the warm months and only in the foothills. Guess I'll have to Google that too! You've got me curious now.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:18 PM

720 posts, read 767,970 times
Hey! Do those companies that make those rollers for hair sell stock?

Old 07-06-2015, 10:22 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,949,976 times
I want a pet about as much as cancer. We've had a couple in the last few years, and they became nothing but a pain in the butt. I've got much better things to do with my time, and in fact, they get in the way of me being able to do other things.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:23 PM

720 posts, read 767,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
How many people have your goldens bitten or killed? My understanding is that they kill just about any stranger they see or smell.
Wow, seriously?

Old 07-06-2015, 10:31 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,133,801 times
Default Reasons for owning a Pet....................

According to the Web Site: WebMD, owning a pet (especially in your senior years ) can improve your health IN 27 Different ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement