Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 04:35 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,939,858 times

Advertisements

BTW - I got him back. Microchipped, licensed and tagged in MY name. I've never seen a dog smile so much. And me too. (I paid her didn't steal him).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 05:40 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,049,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
BTW - I got him back. Microchipped, licensed and tagged in MY name. I've never seen a dog smile so much. And me too. (I paid her didn't steal him).

This is great news!!! Love happy endings - especially for man's best friend.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:36 AM
JRR

8,237 posts, read 5,740,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

We have had to have some older cats put down over the years, and that is always a horrible thing to do, but we have gone back and saved some other little kitty's life and brought them into the family. It is a win-win situation for all concerned.

Don
In the last 5 years we have lost our two old cats. When the first one passed on we got a big ginger guy from a vet. His owner had several cats and didn't want them any more so the vet agreed to try to find them homes. When our other older one passed on, we went to the shelter and asked which cat had been there the longest and needed a home. The volunteer immediately led us to Cassie. She had been in a shelter for over a year. They had even moved her from one to another to try to get her adopted. She had two strikes against her; she was a black cat and she was 3 years old. She has been with us for 3 years now and sure is a sweet, grateful cat.

Once we make our move to Tennessee, we will probably give another cat a chance at a good home. I figure 3 is the limit. We have always pretty much had cats and always found them to be a nice part of our lives more than a problem/expense that we can't handle.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:07 PM

3,544 posts, read 2,706,487 times
No, I am at the age that any young healthy pet will outlive me.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:14 PM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
No, I am at the age that any young healthy pet will outlive me.
We've talked a lot here about adopting a senior pet who would otherwise languish alone in a shelter or be immediately euthanized. It's a win-win proposition for both of you! No heroic vet intervention necessary.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:45 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,533,912 times
I grew up with dogs and have had dogs for almost all the last 35 years. At the moment I am without one because I will move shortly but as soon as I complete the move I will have a dog again, maybe two. I'm planning on a versatile gun dog and I may add more of a protection dog as well if I can sort out compatibility. My last versatile was very protective so it wasn't much of an issue.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:58 PM

761 posts, read 836,339 times
My best buddy, Toby, a Sheltie, passed in March from liver cancer.
I have "his" best buddy, Tyler here and still doing well at roughly 12 years old.

I was so used to making "Sheltie" sandwiches.
That would be me in the middle with the two dogs; one on either side being the bread and me being the middle or filling. It was just my way of hugging them both at the same time.

They were raised from pups and I know that Tyler misses Toby. Never a growl or a fight between them.

I recently filled out an application for a Sheltie Rescue organization and I want to make more Sheltie sandwiches in the future and give an abandoned furkid a great home. I have my eye on one who is bigger and about the size of Toby, but with completely different coloring. I was a bit late with my app and I may miss out on the dog I want but there will be more to choose from.

I think Tyler could use the infusion of new blood around the place.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:12 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,797,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
My best buddy, Toby, a Sheltie, passed in March from liver cancer.
I have "his" best buddy, Tyler here and still doing well at roughly 12 years old.

I was so used to making "Sheltie" sandwiches.
That would be me in the middle with the two dogs; one on either side being the bread and me being the middle or filling. It was just my way of hugging them both at the same time.

They were raised from pups and I know that Tyler misses Toby. Never a growl or a fight between them.

I recently filled out an application for a Sheltie Rescue organization and I want to make more Sheltie sandwiches in the future and give an abandoned furkid a great home. I have my eye on one who is bigger and about the size of Toby, but with completely different coloring. I was a bit late with my app and I may miss out on the dog I want but there will be more to choose from.

I think Tyler could use the infusion of new blood around the place.
Thank you for rescuing. Some older dogs do great with a new companion and some are just annoyed by one. I would suggest getting a female (I'm assuming Tyler is a male) and one that is at least 5 years old (and likely to be a little calmer). IMO that would give you the best chance at a smooth addition. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement