Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:01 PM

12 posts, read 40,685 times

Advertisements

I was reading in the blogs and came across something interesting in a reply. It mentioned keeping such a full calender as to forget how there was ever time for work.

I live in a small town (at least its on a river/sound) and get very very bored.

What is there to do that is filling up the calenders? I would love some ideas to keep my mind and body busy really.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 01:06 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
My best advise is to volunteer, volunteer, volunteer.

That and exercise regularly. I'm good at the first, terrible at the last.

We live in an area with lots of retirees, and it sometimes seems as though some of the local organizations have been set up just to keep some of us "off the street"!

golfgod

Old 01-22-2008, 01:23 PM

12 posts, read 40,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
My best advise is to volunteer, volunteer, volunteer.

That and exercise regularly. I'm good at the first, terrible at the last.

We live in an area with lots of retirees, and it sometimes seems as though some of the local organizations have been set up just to keep some of us "off the street"!

golfgod

We do not seem to have many organizations here except for the Arts Council, which is great, I'm just not an artist.

Maybe starting one is something I could do. What kind of orgs do you volunteer for? I hope this is not off topic,,, it is still something to do in my free time.

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:53 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
Many, if not most of the work done by/for any arts council does not require artistic ability. I have friends who are (very talented) artists. Sometimes I help them at shows, design and print brochures, guide at the shows etc.

I'm also very involved in our local community theatre. I had NEVER done any acting before moving here and started out volunteering to help build and paint sets. Then I was taking tickets and serving sodas and cookies during intermission.

Next thing I know I'm up on stage (I can't sing so no musicals) and having the time of my life. We have some VERY TALENTED singers and actors in this community (movie, TV, opera and ballet) so I'lll never be a "lead" but I sure have fun. Most of my friends I've met through the theatre.

I've also done some work for local politicians and Habitat For Humanity.

I know that locally we also have an adult "literacy" project, Meals on Wheels, English as a second language, assisting with tax returns, a couple of thrift stores (abused women's shelter and library are their beneficiaries) lakefront clean-up, visiting at elder care facilities, different organizations for the schools, Boys and Girls Club, Scouts.

Like I said, the organizations are out there. If you're a member of a church ask them about local orgs.

I also play golf when the weather is good and go skiing in the winter.

golfgod

Old 01-22-2008, 08:02 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
You live on a river/sound and you are bored?

Come on now you do not buy a home on the water without buying a boat to go with it. Would you? Fishing, Crabbing and boating would probably take up 23 of every 24 hours for me.

Even just parking a chair on the waters edge with a good book.

You wont be bored. Enjoy your retirement !!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:20 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
I have become a consumer since retirement. You don't have to just consume things. Check the local library to see what programs they are presenting. Check for special events in the newspaper and magazines when you visit the library. See what events are happening at the malls. No boredom here--I am also prunning all the trees in my yard. The beauty of retirement is that you can do what you want to do. We are going to check with the local college to see what classes they have that we many want to take. I recently saw a program that said it is beneficial to walk 40 minutes per day at least 3 days a week. I do water exercises instead. This is supposed to help your brain stay more active?

Then there is shopping, but you don't have to buy. Some people walk in the malls. I am trying to keep enough to do not to be bored, but not too much to have stress. It is a balancing act. In other words, I may volunteer one day at a time, but no jobs that seem like work. I retired from work.

Last edited by NCN; 01-22-2008 at 10:29 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 05:32 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,416 times
what about classes at a nearby community college, or even on-line classes? Do you like kids or animals...volunteer at as an aide at the local school, or at the town or county animal shelter?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:20 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I advocate choosing a retirement spot based on the activities you like to do above all other criteria. So, my suggestion is - move.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:04 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
The local hospital probably needs volunteers. It's a good way to meet some new friends, and if you get sick you'll get a little extra attention because they know you.

If your community is very small, you probably have a volunteer fire department. Maybe they need someone to man the phone lines. Most small towns have fairs and festivals--they need volunteers to run booths and during the winter months to help plan the upcoming events.

Your local chamber of commerce or local churches will know of a few dozen other ideas.

If volunteering is not your thing, write a book. Take photos. Do the people of City-Data a favor and post photos of your town. Paint your living room--or, paint a picture. Have fun using the internet to plan every little detail of an upcoming trip. Exercise. Read books. Teach yourself how to play a musical instrument. Get your finances organized. The list goes on and on...

Old 01-23-2008, 08:28 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
FWIW--

The 6-month period before I retired felt like a lo-o-ong stretch of time. I sent a lot of time sitting at a desk, filling the hours by posting constantly on City-Data. I was posting so often that I won one of the $50 awards that were given to the most regular posters.

Now that retirement has begun, I find it hard to make time for City-Data. In fact, I'm sort of making a discipline of checking it in the morning because of a sense of loyalty (they rewarded me for making a lot of posts, so it would be wrong to disappear). But the truth is, my life has filled in and I dont really have the time for it anymore.

It's the dead of winter. Weather has been awful here, and my retirement came unexpectedly early (about 6 months before I had planned, so I didn't have activities lines up ahead of time). My point? If I can easily find ways to fill my days, anyone can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement