Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 09:26 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

You must collect a december check. The increase is in january
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 09:29 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark bridge View Post
Debbie, if "Federal Blue X and Blue Shield" means "Federal Blue Cross and Blue Shield", then yes, you will need to sign up for Medicare Part B (if you wait you will be hit with even higher premiums). This should have been explained to him at his retirement seminar. If he is CSRS, he can have the Medicare premiums taken out of his retirement annuity, the form can be found at opm.gov. If he is FERS, the premium will come out of his Social Security payment. Looks like you will be paying the higher premium, as will my SO when he signs up for Medicare in 2017, and I just told him today that the premium is $105.
Just saw this, and I wanted to be clear on the wording; i.e., "you will need to sign up for Medicare Part B."

There's nothing mandatory about signing up for Medicare Part B.

I'm a federal CSRS retiree with Blue Cross and Blue Shield through the Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan. If I elect to sign up for Medicare Part B, that will be primary, and BC/BS will be secondary. Between the two, I should pay little or nothing out-of-pocket.

But, I don't know if it's going to be worth whatever the cost of Medicare Part B is two years from now when I turn 65. I'm fine with covering the co-pays and deductibles I have with BC/BS, and if the only financial advantage to me in getting Medicare Part B is that I don't have to cover the deductibles and co-pays, I'm just not sure getting Medicare Part B will be worth it.

I've got two years to figure it out.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:46 AM

142 posts, read 164,095 times
"You must collect a december check. The increase is in january"

mathjak -- is that december check date verified ??
I'm going to call SS this afternoon to get their view, but i'm seriously thing of lifting my suspenders and start collecting.....I'm so sick of these politicians fiddling around with this !!!

Old 08-28-2015, 10:00 AM

according to michael kitces you need nov and dec not just dec as i thought

Given the looming Medicare Part B premium increase, those who are not eligible for the Hold Harmless provision - for instance, those enrolled in Medicare but delaying Social Security benefits, or those who haven't yet enrolled in either but could - should carefully consider whether it is really still worth delaying Social Security benefits (and/or delaying enrollment in Medicare), given that those who begin the process by October of this year still have the potential to get started in time to be eligible for Hold Harmless and shelter themselves from the 2016 increase.

The “good” news for planning purposes is that because the Hold Harmless provision is determined based on whether the retiree is getting Social Security benefits (and is a Medicare Part B enrollee) for the last two months of the year, it appears that there is still time for retirees to consider whether to take action on claiming Social Security or Medicare Part B now, before it is too late.

great article and one of my favorite researchers .

https://www.kitces.com/blog/social-s...babae-57064613

Old 08-28-2015, 10:04 AM

142 posts, read 164,095 times
So maybe the last 2 months of the year -- November and December.

I'll ask them when I call this PM

Thanks

Old 08-28-2015, 10:23 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
according to michael kitces you need nov and dec not just dec as i thought

Given the looming Medicare Part B premium increase, those who are not eligible for the Hold Harmless provision - for instance, those enrolled in Medicare but delaying Social Security benefits, or those who haven't yet enrolled in either but could - should carefully consider whether it is really still worth delaying Social Security benefits (and/or delaying enrollment in Medicare), given that those who begin the process by October of this year still have the potential to get started in time to be eligible for Hold Harmless and shelter themselves from the 2016 increase.

The “good†news for planning purposes is that because the Hold Harmless provision is determined based on whether the retiree is getting Social Security benefits (and is a Medicare Part B enrollee) for the last two months of the year, it appears that there is still time for retirees to consider whether to take action on claiming Social Security or Medicare Part B now, before it is too late.

great article and one of my favorite researchers .

https://www.kitces.com/blog/social-s...babae-57064613
When Kitces refers to Nov and Dec he is talking about entitlement. The Nov entitlement is issued in DEC and the Dec entitlement is issued in JAN.

IOW, the retiree would be applying for benefits to begin in Nov but would not receive Nov's benefit until December. Thus, the Medicare premium is being deducted from the last check issued in 2015. There is a one month lag, hence the Nov & Dec reference.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:26 AM

great , i thought it was just the december check but his reference to nov , dec confused me .

Old 08-28-2015, 10:27 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Just saw this, and I wanted to be clear on the wording; i.e., "you will need to sign up for Medicare Part B."

There's nothing mandatory about signing up for Medicare Part B.

I'm a federal CSRS retiree with Blue Cross and Blue Shield through the Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan. If I elect to sign up for Medicare Part B, that will be primary, and BC/BS will be secondary. Between the two, I should pay little or nothing out-of-pocket.

But, I don't know if it's going to be worth whatever the cost of Medicare Part B is two years from now when I turn 65. I'm fine with covering the co-pays and deductibles I have with BC/BS, and if the only financial advantage to me in getting Medicare Part B is that I don't have to cover the deductibles and co-pays, I'm just not sure getting Medicare Part B will be worth it.

I've got two years to figure it out.
I would start by checking with your current plan to see of they require you to enroll in Part B so they can shift from your major medical coverage to a Medicare supplement plan. Many plans do as did mine from the State of California. Also, be aware that if you fail. to enroll in Part B at age 65 then have to or choose to enroll later, your premium will be increased by 10% for every eligible year you failed to enroll. Also, at 65 you will automatically be enrolled in Medicare Part A.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:28 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
These same career politicians robbed the SS till for 50 yrs, meanwhile, forced people at "gunpoint" to contribute to SS all those years, now they want to cut SS? Heh. I hope Trump wins the next presidency just because he's no career politician. That alone gets my vote - regardless of anything else.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:22 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
These same career politicians robbed the SS till for 50 yrs, meanwhile, forced people at "gunpoint" to contribute to SS all those years, now they want to cut SS? Heh. I hope Trump wins the next presidency just because he's no career politician. That alone gets my vote - regardless of anything else.
Which politicians want to "cut" Social Security? The hold harmless provision is part of SS law for the precise purpose of NOT cutting people's Social Security. You seem to be very confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement