Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 02:42 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times

Advertisements

Many times people get the wrong answers from SS because they are asking the wrong questions or asking the right questions incorrectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 05:42 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
The people who staff SS offices are much better-trained than those who answer the SS phones. The SS people with whom I talked on the phone never knew anything and gave me conflicting (although always wrong) advice -- and the people at the SS office always had the correct and most current information.

Too, when SS people on the phone said they were going to do something, it either didnt get done or didnt get done correctly. By contrast, when someone at an SS office said that, it was done immediately and correctly.
My experiences exactly. But nothing is guaranteed. You and I may have been lucky in getting the right people each time we went to an SS office personally.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
It some what change between when I retired and wife. I was able to set appointment over internet; Wife had to call per SS site. At appointment time we were both shown into clerks office. About 15 minutes and we were gone with papers giving all info she explained. Both clerks were efficient and handled it well.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:19 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
I was told on the phone by SS that I had to provide my ex-husband's Social Security number.

The 2nd time I called, a different SS person never said a word about me needing to provide his SS number......she said his SS number can easily be found by SS personnel and they would provide it, no problem. She never suggested for even a second that it was my responsibility to provide it.

So wrong and/or different information can erroneously be given out by SS personnel.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:02 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Has anyone else been given such information which runs contrary to the "Make an appointment 3 months before you want benefits to start?
Each region/area of this federal republic is different demographically. In some areas, 90 days in advance may be appropriate while in other areas same-day-service is possible.

You did your duty and contacted your local office and they gave you an explanation specific to their office.

There's no need to panic.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:47 PM

426 posts, read 505,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Wow.... all you people got personal service at the Social Security office!!!

I called for an appointment since I had a complicated social security claim and was told to apply on-line!!

A day after applying on-line I got a letter from Social Security stating that wanted to see me in person.

OK....so I show up at the office. It only took two days before I could see someone.

They wanted to see my birth certificate. I do not have one. I was born in foreign country and birth certificates were an afterthought. BUT, I had with me my naturalization papers, my US government issued passport, AND the CAPPER my FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PENSION with all three documents showing the same birth date.

The lady said " Sorry, but your not eligible for Social Security because you do not have a birth certificate....good-by".

I said..."sorry, get me your supervisor". They never showed. I had questions about my earnings in Canada (we have a treaty on social security benefits with other countries) , my social security reduction due to the Federal pension, and a couple of other minor issues.

After several trips back to her supervisor I finally got all my questions answered.

Finally, I asked as she was looking at my file in the computer..."what is my status on your computer?". She quickly answered...."foreign national". Forty-three years after becoming a citizen and their computers were never updated!!!

All that....after paying into social security for ten years and the reduction for Medicare Part B I get $37/month!!!

Now I can't complain about the $37/month. I can, however, complain about Social Security and how they treat people that apply for benefits. For me it was a funny experience. For people that barely understand English and how government works it must be a nightmare.

Sorry, if your a government employee you really need to treat the American people with respect. Your there working for THEM. And you really owe them an explanation....other than...."sorry, your not eligible...good-by.
As a retired Social Security employee, I offer you my heartfelt apology for the way you were treated. Not only was the person totally incorrect, but rude and dismissive. If I worked with that person, it would make my blood boil. I always was cognizant of who I was serving- the public- and who paid my salary- the public!

I am so glad you stood your ground, asked for the supervisor and got your claim reviewed. The computers do not know you became a citizen after you initially filed for your SS number, way back when you came to the U.S. Unless a person comes back in, specifically to have the SS computer reflect their status as a citizen, or maybe if they married and along with changing their name, also updated their citizenship, or filed a claim (perhaps for disability etc.) SSA would not know.

SSA has extensive policy about every country in the world and the availability of a birth certificate for the individuals in those countries. If an individual is from a country that did not issue B/C's, or the records of the country are not reliable, we have many ways of establishing their birthday. Unfortunately, you spoke at the window with someone who was very ill informed. I also hope you were able to file for your Canadian benefits in the SS office. SSA takes claims for every country (at least 21) that we have an agreement with.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:52 PM

426 posts, read 505,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
So per advise on these boards I called my local SS office to schedule and appointment for my husband and myself to file for retirement and spousal benefits. I was trying to make an apt. for October as we want benefits to start in January of 2016.

I was told they don't make appointments that far out, [meaning October] and that if we want to start in January we should make an appointment in December.

Has anyone else been given such information which runs contrary to the "Make an appointment 3 months before you want benefits to start?

Since I am a non-working spouse, we prefer to do this in an appointment rather than online.
Arwenmark, I think I remember helping you and telling you to contact SS 3 months in advance of January. So, please, call back in October and set your appointment. September is too early.

For those who advise going in without an appointment, for your claim, even though some of you had no issues, the offices I worked in (major metropolitan offices), it would be a very bad idea. Why get aggravated when you have time to make an appointment.

Good luck!

Old 09-08-2015, 09:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
I am over my full retirement age.
So is my husband.
I called the 800 number to make an appointment for applying for spousal benefits, for mynhusband to apply/fileand suspend, and to inquire about an appeal of the income SS is using to calculate on t Medicare benefits.

I explained what I wanted more than 3 times to the person onthe phone taki g my and my husband's information. She seems a little "off" kept asking for same info ...told me what my SS benefit would be even though I told her I was not applying for my personal benefit.
Told me expect a call from my local SS office to schedule an appointment.

Got a letter from SS Saturday before Labor Day telling me my recent phone interview for SSI was turned down...
Totally off the wall screwy...

Never applied, never wanted SSI
So much for knowledgeable agents...

Old 09-09-2015, 07:51 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
I to, just went into the SS Office to apply for my SS two months before my birthday and turning 62. At the same time, I also signed up for Medicare A (hospitalization), which is free (no monthly premium). I didn't have all the paperwork that I needed, but had no problem getting it and returning. And, since I was already on SS, I was automatically signed up for Medicare B when I turned 65 last year. I could have turned it down and sent the form back, but NO WAY was I going to do that!

Old 09-09-2015, 11:27 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Really??? Actually, we are even more modern than you. Our licenses are good for eight years - but eye test and photo is required at renewal.

You still haven't answered the Q. How does one go about renewing online when photo ID and eye test are required?
Drivers license in AZ is good from whatever age you get it to either 60 or 65. No renewing at all unless you want to change the picture. If you just need a replacement it can be done online. After a certain age you have to renew , at the DMV office, every five or six years. They do an eye test and a new picture and that's it but you, obviously, have to go to the DMV to do that. I like being able to take care of so much business stuff online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement