Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 08:35 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times

Advertisements

I have been married for 38 years. I did not even date a single man before my husband. He is my best friend and a great life partner. I have been very happily married. However, I don't believe in the concept of 'soul mate' or there can be only one 'Mr. Right'. We share many things in common but it took some adjustments over the years (mostly in my part due to my A+ type personality) to accept and cherish each other 'as is'.

So my answer to the OP's question is that I absolutely prefer being married to single both before and after retirement. Would I consider remarry or involve with someone if my husband predeceases me? I an an introvert and enjoy my solitude at times but I also enjoy doing things with others. Somehow, everything seems to be better and the experience is more enhanced when you can share with another person or persons. So the answer to this question is a very likely yes. I may not necessarily remarry but would certainly find few flying, rowing, hiking, traveling, literature/scientific disccussion buddies. If a person or persons (either sex) share many things in common with me, we can become more constant companions. At this stage in my life, good friends 'without benefits' are more pluses than minuses ;-)

Last edited by BellaDL; 08-30-2015 at 08:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 09:29 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
I remember I did a Thread, different forum, about how some people hold on to anger from marrying someone they shouldn't have and finally getting a divorce. We've had three divorced/older neighbor ladies that seemed to be just like that. Whenever I would talk to them, and men would come into the conversation, it seemed like all three of them just wanted to bash the male society. None of them really wanted to see wife and I together, laughing/joking around. Anyway, all three have moved away, and to be honest, I'm glad they did. I could only take so much "male bashing"! A guy I knew, who was the manager at our local boat/rv storage, was the same way. He had nothing good to say about females. He was divorced after years of marriage. He no longer works at the storage facilities and I'm very glad of that!

As for me, I was hurt/angry when my wife left me. BTW, I forgot to say that I married my "ex" twice........a REAL mistake! Anyway, I was really hurt/angry, but had to get over that in order to meet the "right" one; of which I did.

There are people that, after a bad divorce, absolutely don't want to share their life with a partner again and there are those that are very happily married (or somewhat that way) and don't ever want to be single. Either way has it's good and bad.

I just think there are too many people who hold on too much to a bad marriage they had. Wife and I were both in bad marriages, but that didn't stop us from finding each other and KNOWING what REAL love is!

Old 08-30-2015, 10:17 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
LoveBoating: I enjoyed reading your post. You are so right, too many ex-wives and ex-husbands who never get over the hurt of what they had before. I was like that for too many years after my divorce. But it wasn't just about his cheating, it was also how he had hurt our children.

I have been divorced a very long time and think I am ready to find someone special to spend the rest of my life with. However, finding someone at my age (73) isn't really easy. It seems a lot of guys are looking for younger ladies (with money). But I'm not giving up (yet, anyway).

I am having coffee with someone I haven't met yet on Tuesday. Wish me luck!

Old 08-30-2015, 10:23 AM

Can anyone tell me why a man would have two last names?

Old 08-30-2015, 10:31 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
For the same reason a woman might - usually because they chose to use both surnames when they marry.
When that happens, they often pass the joint surnames to their children, so if the man is not married that might be the reason.

Also it's common for Hispanic persons of both genders to use two surnames.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:36 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
I would never marry because of complications with finances. If you don't mix finances why would you marry and I could never trust anyone else to mix finances.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
For the same reason a woman might - usually because they chose to use both surnames when they marry.
When that happens, they often pass the joint surnames to their children, so if the man is not married that might be the reason.

Also it's common for Hispanic persons of both genders to use two surnames.

He does not use them together, as in hyphenated "Smith-Jones" .

Old 08-30-2015, 10:47 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
Quote:
can you give a few more details? If you have seen two pictures of the same man with two different last names, I can't think of a good answer, although this seems to have happened often in Jane Austen's era.

If this is the man you are meeting for coffee, I would ask him. Maybe he has been recently adopted.

I am envious. Your life is more exciting than mine.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:50 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
He does not use them together, as in hyphenated "Smith-Jones" .
Some people choose to hyphenate, some don't. Hyphenation makes sense in come cases: dh and I say if we had it to do over again, we'd use both our names, with mine first and hyphenate them. That's because my maiden surname is at the beginning of the alphabet and his is at the end. As it is, we have long wait times when folks are going in alphabetical order.

The main problem with hypenated surnames is when a child with one marries and the couple wants to use both names. So they end up being John and Mary Jones-Smith Doe. Without hypenation, they could choose which two names to use: John and Mary Jones Doe.
And imagine if both had hypenphenated surnames: John and Mary Jones-Smith Doe-Buck. Something would need to give.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:55 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
My father had a family name surname as his middle name and used all three names in his signature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement