Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:03 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times

Advertisements

Everyone seems to think that they need to find THE place to retire, as if they plan to live there the rest of their life. But is this reasonable? Will we want to live the same place when we turn 75 as 65? 85? Or is it less stressful and more adventurous to just pick a reasonable place (at say 65)and just give it a try. Not that we shouldn't do our homework in making a choice, but maybe we don't need to obsess over it either. I'm guessing that if one really likes the area chosen for a retirement move at 65, at 75 there might still need to be a move to a place in the same vicinity with more or different amenities. What do others think? Are we over thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 12:13 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
I think if I can continue to afford where I am now, this specific house, I will stay here. Maybe move to a continuing care community (Erickson) if unable to reasonably stay here. When retired, I do hope to spend months as an experiment living in a couple of small Western towns that I favor, but I wouldn't view it as moving there full-time, since I think they'd both be a bad place to get older in.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:31 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
I guess everyone's different, but I personally don't wish to move to a series of new homes anymore. I moved quite a bit in my 20s and 30s and when I was young I found it easy to move. Now, the older I get, the more difficult it becomes. Each time I move I find it takes longer to really feel comfortable in a new town and to find things like a good doctor, a good dentist, a good accountant, a store that carries the particular things I want. When I was 30 a dentist was just someone to clean my teeth. Now I need to find a good one each time I move. And the same can be said for most of my needs these days, not just the dentist. It becomes more and more important to live near friends I've known for years. And more and more expensive to move to a new place.

So, I don't want to keep moving. I figure I have two more moves left in me--one to the home we'll have for most of our retirement, and a final move to a place with assisted living. I hope I don't have to move more than that.

Last edited by Caladium; 04-23-2012 at 12:42 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 12:41 PM

955 posts, read 4,091,539 times
We expect to move once when we retire this summer. If everything goes right, we'll be there the rest of our lives. We moved a lot when we were young - 9 times in the first 7 years we were married, following work, etc. As we've gotten older, the trend has been to move less and less frequently. We're in our current home 17 years - a record for us. Our goal is that our next move will be our last one.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:41 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
By the way, regarding your question about over thinking. I can't speak for anyone else but yes, of course I'm definitely over thinking it. I do it because it's fun and some good can come from adding to your store of knowledge. You never know when you'll pick up a good tip. Besides day dreaming and research keeps my brain happy--it's something to tide me over until I finish this last year of employment.

When the time comes to make the decision, then the time of over thinking will be done. We'll pick a place and decide to be happy there. I truly believe no place is perfect, anyway, and most places have plenty of positive elements that will make it work out just fine if you decide to be happy there.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:55 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Two, I think. One more move when I'm a little older. Because I rent, it's easier for me to just pick up and go.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:00 PM

698 posts, read 1,052,143 times
i've been retired 8 years and have lived in current location-not a first choice but has worked out to be a convenient, practical one- for 6 years. although there are places i think i'd like better,and i think about making one more move to one of those places, i will probably remain here until i go into a retirement community-ccrc- in another 7-8 years. i've moved a lot and like the idea of other possibilities, but i don't think, at this point, i'd have the money to buy another house and still have money for a ccrc when i feel the time is right for it.
certainly money and the real estate market are major issues for me in terms of moving. i don't feel i have enough money to "try out" places any longer, although i might like to do so.

catsy girl

Old 04-23-2012, 02:00 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
I have a feeling I will be moving more than once when I retire...a major move when I'm 66-67 and see how it goes. If it goes well, I will still probably have minor moves to different towns/apts until I find the right area for me. If it doesn't go well, then Plan B.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I am not sure of the real problem in what I see. Its the first time for most that they have total freedom of choice in retiremnt and can disregard the work issue. That alone makes it a joy to most in having that limiting factore gone.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,135,358 times
I have a house on Cape Cod which is where I am from, but still have large mortgage and taxes and cost of living is to high for living off SS. So will sell this property. We bought a house in WV and are trying to adapt it to retirement purposes, low cost house though large, low taxes, low cost of living, good medical care near by city nearby, house large enough for family to live in and help with medical problems. So we will be living in ONE place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement