Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 06:45 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Diverse. The last time I was in the Upper Valley of NH I had a moment when I felt like I was in a scene from "Children of the Corn". I found it quite unsettling.
Lenora, aren't you from Baltimore City (IIRC??? -- I think that we are Giant Food cousins). And you felt unsettled in New Hampshire? Holy, moley!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 09:06 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Some of us don't need diversity and see it as something being shoved down our throats.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:43 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm not concerned about diversity. I'm concerned with local crime. If it's a low crime area I don't care how much or how little diversity there is.
I agree that people who go out of their way to "seek" diversity are usually white people who think they have something to prove.
Give me a low crime area any day of the week even if it has zero diversity.

The first home I owned was my starter home. As was typical at the time, it was all Caucasian. Just before I moved out, it became a little diverse. Years later, I ran into my old neighbor. He told me it was really diverse there now and the crime rate had skyrocketed. Nothing could be left outside, gas was siphoned from vehicles and burglaries were now common. It's easy to hear people preach about wanting diversity. It's a whole 'nother thing to actually live it. The neighborhoods I've lived in since could be considered to be lacking in diversity. But there also don't seem to be any issues with crime. And that suits me just fine.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:58 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I've lived in a diverse town for 51 yrs and can't imagine any other lifestyle. I'll go over the Pacific Ocean when it's time.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:12 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
I live in a boring, all-white, 55+ gated community that we currently have for sale. Hoping to go where there's diversity, the sound of playing children and the smell of life and living.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:23 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I think that right now, it's an economic thing and a generational thing.

Historically in this country, minorities and newer ethnic groups never had the economic clout to move into retirement communities, since many of them are expensive. This is changing, but slowly.

Generationaly, this will not be an issue for our kids and their kids. Young people today who are lucky enough to have diversity in their neighborhoods and schools grow up among kids who are not all alike. They have African American friends, white friends, Aisan friends, gay friends, multi-racial friends and don't see what the big deal is.

As the old timers and their ways die out and minorities who have historically been held down progress economically, things will change and retirement communities will start to look like the rest of the country.
A major Bada Bing and very true. The CCRC's we have looked at and visited are defintely not diverse. I have even had the staff ask me to help explain to them why and what they can do to change things. Most have an active recruitment effort in their marketing but limited takers. Many active 55 communities are like that even when some of the companies have made a major effort. Del Webb comes to mind as making a significant effort and has been successful with targeted recruiting in diverse affluent communities especially in the Mid Atlantic etc etc. The economic ability for many older minorities isn't there and many who would be of age to consider moving into these communities grew up in a segregated or non diverse life style. With younger people as you have noted that has changed and will impact things down the road. The reality is that CCRC's are not inhabited by many if any Boomers and active 55 communities are often really active 70 communities with minimal Boomers for obvious age reasons.

Del Webb has made a major targeting effort going after folks in high cost of living areas with enough home equity to be able to afford their homes. Go to the DC area as they have and you find many a folk of all races with home equity and pension incomes to be able to afford the Del Webb lifestyle and currently living in diverse neighborhoods.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:56 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Historically, many ethnicities other than Caucasian have had households with multiple generations under one roof.

Grandparents are revered and taken care of and in turn take care of the kids while mom and dad go off to work.

I know very few Caucasian families that do that.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:05 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
No, my neighborhood is all Chinese. Definitely not diverse enough.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:11 AM

82 posts, read 80,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
A Hispanic can be of White, Black or Asian racial ancestry.

White - A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

Black or African American - A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.

Asian - A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent.
I agree! I think no matter where we go in this country it's pretty darn ethnically diverse.
My ancestors were from England, Scotland and Holland and we have a little Cherokee in there too. My husband is 1/2 Polish and 1/2 Irish.
The area we live in is 18% white, I just looked it up but honestly my husband and I don't overthink such things and we don't worry it. We do live in a retirement community and anyone over 55 is welcome here. We decided on a retirement community because it's peaceful and quiet and there are people our age and activities. I also consider this area quite diverse.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:50 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm not concerned about diversity. I'm concerned with local crime. If it's a low crime area I don't care how much or how little diversity there is.
I agree that people who go out of their way to "seek" diversity are usually white people who think they have something to prove.
Give me a low crime area any day of the week even if it has zero diversity.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement