Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 08:41 AM

485 posts, read 1,839,802 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a long driving trip throughout America. One of my goals was to find a town to retire in sometime in the next five to ten years. One thing that is important is the ability to find a part time job that will supplement my investment income in retirement.

One thing I have noticed is that in towns dominated by White (American Born) people, there are far more part time jobs filled by people who are semi retirement. I see older white men and women working at hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions, and a variety of service sector jobs. These workers are great, because they are mature and happy because they only have to work 10-20 hours a week.

On the other hand, in cities with huge immigrant populations like Los Angeles, the Washington DC area, Miami, New York, etc, I see few older white workers in Service Sector or Retail jobs.

Even though the economy is booming in many of these cities there seems to be few opportunities for white older workers. Agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,949,730 times
Business will most often hire the most prevalent labor at the lowest cost.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,238 times
I don't think it's a matter of not hiring the older workers. In many cases they left town, or if they stayed they had enough money to not work. I live in an area with very few minorities and almost never see retirees working in service, other than at Wal-Mart, which I never patronize.

golfgod

Old 09-05-2008, 06:24 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,330 times
Are you comparing differently sized cities? No very large city is ethnically homogeneous (you cited Los Angeles, the Washington DC area, Miami, New York), some of our biggest cities and our big cities are more ethnically diverse than some of the smaller ones.

It seems to me to be a matter of different economics in very large cities compared to small cities. Also, in small places, there tends to be a lower youth population (from the general flight from rural areas to cities) so the low end jobs that are often filled by uneducated youngsters are then filled by retired older workers - because if they didn't, there would be no one to do them at all. I think in small towns where there is a larger ethnic population, you see older non-white workers in those jobs too.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:30 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
I just got back from a long driving trip throughout America. One of my goals was to find a town to retire in sometime in the next five to ten years. One thing that is important is the ability to find a part time job that will supplement my investment income in retirement.

One thing I have noticed is that in towns dominated by White (American Born) people, there are far more part time jobs filled by people who are semi retirement. I see older white men and women working at hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions, and a variety of service sector jobs. These workers are great, because they are mature and happy because they only have to work 10-20 hours a week.

On the other hand, in cities with huge immigrant populations like Los Angeles, the Washington DC area, Miami, New York, etc, I see few older white workers in Service Sector or Retail jobs.

Even though the economy is booming in many of these cities there seems to be few opportunities for white older workers. Agree?
Yes, absolutely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement