Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 01:53 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times

Advertisements

I have a particular expense I hope to be able to afford in retirement. If it isn't doable, after a few months of living on retirement income I might take a contract (fortunate to have skills that it makes likely that I can find one easily enough if I am not overly greedy) for a few months to make it happen. It might not even be in the first year of retirement, but would probably be no later than the 3rd.

EDIT - reading the silly arguments over whether I would be retired or not if I decide to work a little more so I can afford to have a camper in FL for occasional winter getaways (that's the expense). I would feel like I still was.

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 09-22-2015 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:50 PM

1,204 posts, read 872,859 times
Going to be either semi-retired or working part-time come March of 2016. Don't know what to call it but I am freaking excited that financially it is doable.

Going to be working for the same employer, just 3 days a week( 4 if they are in a pinch). Been working only 4 days a week since June, using vacation and sick time to stay FT for this year. These short weeks are wonderful.

There is a financial incentive to still work PT. Everything there(hardware store) is 2% over average cost for all employees. Heck of a deal.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:24 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,057,413 times
At this point, I'm semi-retired.

After a 21 year career in law enforcement, I retired last December (2014) and took a 9 month break for some "me" time and to travel a bit. Being in my early 50s, I feel that I'm not ready to be fully retired at this point. I'm in the process of working in the private security field and hope to do this for the next 3-4 years to "pad" my savings account since I want to be fully retired at or before the age of 57.

I really do not need to work since my current pension meets all my monthly needs, but at this point "I" choice to work and I am free to change my mind at anytime during this process. With that said, the extra income adds to my "comfort" and "security" zones as I make a transition into full-retirement.

At this point, I clearly do not see myself working past my 57th birthday.

I have a retirement savings account that I'm not touching since I want it to grow a little for the next few years and start drawing funds from it on my before my 57th birthday to balance everything out in the end.

Many of my former co-workers wondered why I would retire from my LEO job, to work in a far lower paying employment field... As I told them, I worked on the warrant squad, which was very dangerous work. I could be shot or sued, so by retiring when I did, I simply "locked" myself into my pension plan and by working P/T, I'll make the same, if not more than in my former position, but without all the life threatening risks.

I'm also a retired military reservist and the payment for that retirement plan will start on my 60th birthday. So, overall, I feel that I prepared well for retirement and being a "proactive" person, working P/T a few more years is the wise thing to do in my situation and at my current age.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:28 AM

3 posts, read 1,913 times
After retirement, many home based jobs for senior citizens. One of the buys a referral program only $25 and earn residual monthly income. Everyone can easily refer 3 or more people and mailing beautiful full-color postcards. And found free attractive postcards.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:35 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
I've observed many retirees becoming "E-bayers".

They visit the garage sales and find items to re-sell on E-bay.

Many times a garage sales person has no idea what certain items are really worth.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:27 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
I would like some extra spending cash but I can't find a decent part time job.

I am highly skilled at my trade but because I retired on disability I can no longer do that work for more than a couple of hrs a day. I could be a great supervisor in my field but that work is usually left to senior employees or business owners.

So I am stuck with applying for minimum wage crummy jobs that want you for 8- 10 hrs a day 3 days a week. (which I physically can't do)

At one time when my condition was better and I lived in the northeast I worked PT for $300 a day cash and it's tough to be enthused about taking a job for $7.25 hr just for some extra spending cash. As a result I keep turning down those PT jobs.

Where can I find a PT job of 3 hrs a day for $10 hr.? ( my minimum)

I have to say they really have these people in the South conditioned to such lousy pay.

When they say "right to work" state they mean "right to work cheap" state.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:43 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Does anyone really CARE what the dictionary or anyone else calls retirement? I don't.

I am enjoying learning about some of the ways retirees are spending their spare time and skills for extra cash.

Last edited by TheShadow; 10-02-2015 at 08:51 AM..

Old 10-02-2015, 03:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Speaking of 'terms',... It may be more appropriate to our C-D Retirement forum sensors / "retirement-protectionists", if those of us who are retired and work for fun or pay would just say, "We're Between Jobs'. There is not a chance you will ever find me on the golf course or on a guided vacation tour, or at my own 'retirement' dinner. I will gladly accept my 'senior America the Beautiful National Park Pass (should I live to eligibility age (62)). (Have bought annual passes since age 18)

Yesterday I departed employment ('retirement # 4... ') with 42 yrs service. Only my manager knew, I suppose the buzzards are raiding my desk today. That's fine, they are the ones who are 'left-behind', so they need all the free stuff possible.

'Between jobs' ...

Old 10-03-2015, 10:25 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Speaking of 'terms',... It may be more appropriate to our C-D Retirement forum sensors / "retirement-protectionists", if those of us who are retired and work for fun or pay would just say, "We're Between Jobs'. There is not a chance you will ever find me on the golf course or on a guided vacation tour, or at my own 'retirement' dinner. I will gladly accept my 'senior America the Beautiful National Park Pass (should I live to eligibility age (62)). (Have bought annual passes since age 18)

Yesterday I departed employment ('retirement # 4... ') with 42 yrs service. Only my manager knew, I suppose the buzzards are raiding my desk today. That's fine, they are the ones who are 'left-behind', so they need all the free stuff possible.

'Between jobs' ...

Stealth are you saying we have retirement nazis here? Hmmmmmmm I wonder what they would say to a person who was pushed to the wayside because their agency just needed to open up promotion slots on a person who was a guaranteed loss in two years and was still a valuable full time asset to that agency?

Old 10-04-2015, 12:27 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
I plan to retire at 65 in about 17 months. At that time I will work as an R.N. on a travel assignment once to twice a year. Those are typically 8-13 weeks long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement