Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 02:48 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I would say anywhere along the Great Lakes. I grew up in Upstate NY (Buffalo area) and there's a constant breeze coming off Lake Erie that would make even the most humid of days tolerable.

Unless you want to be a "snowbird" the trade-off, of course, is battling brutal winters.
ALL of Upstate NY is humid in the summer! Yes, many areas have lake or ocean breezes, but it's still humid and it's extremely humid compared to AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Lots and lots of disagreement about humid places, so far. No one has mentioned NW Arkansas or Indiana, or Tennessee yet. If I need an ocean breeze, I would have to suck it up and stay in a tent somewhere on the beach, cause real estate is way too expensive. Keep the ideas coming, folks.
All are incredibly humid. None of the above states are in a desert so there's humidity. And absolutely no ocean breeze unless you count the breezes from tornados.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Look around and if all you see is sand and no ocean, you have found the least humid areas!
Not true! I lived in Aiken, SC and my entire development was built on sand. We were a few hours away from the coast. It was humid as hell!

Old 09-24-2015, 03:50 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
The OP said:

Quote:
Lots and lots of disagreement about humid places, so far. No one has mentioned NW Arkansas or Indiana, or Tennessee yet. If I need an ocean breeze, I would have to suck it up and stay in a tent somewhere on the beach, cause real estate is way too expensive. Keep the ideas coming, folks.
I lived in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. We used to call it FT Rain. No, its not dry. NW Arkansas the same. My DIL lived there and has complained about all the rain. TENN. I don't have personal experience, but they also have high pollen amounts, as does most of the midwest. AS I said, you're going to have to look to the western part of the USA. For example, we usually have dry air. We only get 18 in. of rain a year. That's a start, but go to Dallas or OKC and the humidity in summer goes up. But they also get about twice the rainfall we get in west Texas. Go south and west of here, and it gets even drier.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:15 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
I talk to people there regularly in L.A. and OC and they have complained about the humidity the past few summers so please don't just say California. The Central and Bay area coastal areas, I can agree no humidity. But, inland areas or SoCal no way. Just dry heat and laden with smog and pollutants.

Regions just change and historical weather data does not account for 30 million people in the state, maybe 18 mil in LA.,OC and San Diego driving. 100+ years ago with a popualtion of maybe a few hundred thousand nobody was driving.
That SoCal summer warmth and humidity is not continuous, it's only when the SW Monsoon reaches into CA (nromally it's limited to AZ, NM, UT, NV, etc). Only a few days per year. Generally speaking the relationship of cool and higher RH or warm and lower RH holds true even in SoCal.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:31 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
It's not humid in the greater San Francisco Bay Area.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:04 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
For all of the myriad wonderful reasons to live and to retire in the United States, it seems to me that weather/climate just isn't one of them. Across the lower-48, in most places either the summers are scorching or the winters are brutal (and in many places, both!); tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes. Short transitional seasons, high humidity, howling winds. It's rare to find a genuinely mild and stable climate, where standard-deviations are small, where year after year is predictable, where winters aren't Siberian and summers aren't African.

Consider for example Western Europe. No, I wouldn't want to pay their taxes or deal with their innumerable demographic issues. But the weather! For most of the year, it's possible to wear a business-suit and neither sweat nor freeze. Snow, when it comes, is a brief dusting, melting quickly. Heat-waves are short, severe weather is rare.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:02 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Colorado, Wyoming, northern Utah....

Old 09-24-2015, 08:25 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
OP, does it have to be in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Coastal areas. In other words, there's a reason why it's more expensive to live near the beaches.
Ever been to Florida?

Old 09-24-2015, 08:45 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
For all of the myriad wonderful reasons to live and to retire in the United States, it seems to me that weather/climate just isn't one of them. Across the lower-48, in most places either the summers are scorching or the winters are brutal (and in many places, both!); tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes. Short transitional seasons, high humidity, howling winds. It's rare to find a genuinely mild and stable climate, where standard-deviations are small, where year after year is predictable, where winters aren't Siberian and summers aren't African.

Consider for example Western Europe. No, I wouldn't want to pay their taxes or deal with their innumerable demographic issues. But the weather! For most of the year, it's possible to wear a business-suit and neither sweat nor freeze. Snow, when it comes, is a brief dusting, melting quickly. Heat-waves are short, severe weather is rare.
Western European climate equivalent in the US = [Pac NW (Marine West Coast Climate Zones) + CA (Mediterranean Climate Zones)] x West of the Cascades/Sierra/Peninsular Ranges. Unfortunately, East of the Cascades/Sierra/Peninsular Ranges maps to Asia. The Intermountain maps to Western and West Central Asia and the areas East of the Rockies map to East Central and East Asia. Roughly, Maine would be something like SE Siberia coastal areas, Florida like South China, the other corners at the Southern and Northern ends of the High Plains map into something like a Pakistan - Northern Kazakhstan transect.

Last edited by BayAreaHillbilly; 09-24-2015 at 08:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement