Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 01:42 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,376 times

Advertisements

My mother gave up trying to understand remotes a few years ago. My father still can figure out what he should do, but his Parkinsons is getting worse, and typing in something like his email and password whenever Netflix decides it's time to require reentering this info, is getting harder. Even pressing the up and down is sometimes problematic. I read that the new apple tv will have some voice controls, but don't think it will extend to many of the apps, nor will it help with the cable tv channels. I think I'll buy it for myself, just to see if it would be useful for them, or if not, to keep an eye on any new developments in case it becomes more useful for handicapped elderly. It's frustrating, because I think the technology is there, but nobody seems to have turned it into an all encompassing home entertainment system, where the elderly who get confused, like my mother, or who are unable to manipulate the remotes physically, like my father, could just tell the tv what they want it to do. Has anybody else ever tried to piece together a voice control home entertainment system? I know there is one (very expensive) smart tv that has voice control,but again. It doesn't seem to work for accessories like DVDs and apps like Netflix. And if anyone wants to turn this thread into a rant about dealing with remote controls, help yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 02:50 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,218 times
Hi BIR.

I can relate to your mom's confusion as I get just as confused. I went to visit a family member and when I tried turning on the TV I messed it up somehow and they had to reprogram the stupid thing.

On subsequent visits this is what they have done for me (although they claim it is for everyone... but I know it is for me)

They took a picture of all the different remotes and they put it into their computer in a word document.

They put the picture of the first remote needed onto the first page of the document and drew arrows to each button. They numbered the arrows. They typed instructions in numerical order about which buttons to push to turn on the Power

They put the second remote picture on the second page. They put numbered arrows pointing to buttons. They then typed instructions in numerical order about which buttons to push to turn on the TV/Cable, switch channels, make the menu come up, increase/decrease volume.

The third page lists the channel numbers I need to see shows that I would like (this is how I know the instructions are meant for me).

Everything is written in very simple language. The pictures are really big. The arrows point to the buttons very clearly. Really, you would think my IQ is about 10. But it works and I am able to use the TV without blowing up the neighborhood.

However, I do not try to work their other devices.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:38 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,376 times
What a great idea. I will do this, while awaiting voice activation technology.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
You have hit a nerve! I have a terrible time using the remote. DH says it is an obsolete model, and I say, so let's update. But I imagine that the updated model will be even harder to use. This is the universal remote. Then there is the TV remote which governs the on demand function. So I have to switch to that one to pull up older TV episodes. I think there is another one which I never touch.

I tend to mess up the universal remote pretty often, unintentionally of course. Sometimes I can figure out how to fix whatever it is I've done, but many times I have to have DH help. I hate that remote, because it isn't intuitive and I don't understand what the function names mean. I've had years now struggling with it, but I still remain baffled fairly often.

My elderly mom quit watching TV when she could no longer remember how to use a simple remote. Yes! Remotes need to be simplified and made less touchy. And having to re enter long passcodes in that clunky keyboard is stupid and frustrating.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:58 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I curse the day they quit putting off/on & a dial you manually turn. My brother has the same type Silliban has & when I visited, I consistently messed up their tv. I have one that's pretty easy but totally understand the problem. The document idea is excellent.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:12 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Default Large button remotes and phones

Google "large button remotes" I got one for my mom when her eyesight was going. I showed her the buttons she needed to deal with and told her she could ignore the others. I also made her a list (in large print) of the channels she liked to watch so she only had to punch in the channel number. So she only dealt with on/off, channel number, and volume. This was using Comcast cable. I don't know how it would work with Netflix, Amazon Prime or the like.

There are also telephones with large buttons. In fact, when I was looking at large button phones online, a young woman in my office saw one on my PC and realized her mom (who had MS) could use one too.

Last edited by ansible90; 10-02-2015 at 06:21 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 06:21 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslandRetired View Post
My mother gave up trying to understand remotes a few years ago. My father still can figure out what he should do, but his Parkinsons is getting worse, and typing in something like his email and password whenever Netflix decides it's time to require reentering this info, is getting harder. Even pressing the up and down is sometimes problematic. I read that the new apple tv will have some voice controls, but don't think it will extend to many of the apps, nor will it help with the cable tv channels. I think I'll buy it for myself, just to see if it would be useful for them, or if not, to keep an eye on any new developments in case it becomes more useful for handicapped elderly. It's frustrating, because I think the technology is there, but nobody seems to have turned it into an all encompassing home entertainment system, where the elderly who get confused, like my mother, or who are unable to manipulate the remotes physically, like my father, could just tell the tv what they want it to do. Has anybody else ever tried to piece together a voice control home entertainment system? I know there is one (very expensive) smart tv that has voice control,but again. It doesn't seem to work for accessories like DVDs and apps like Netflix. And if anyone wants to turn this thread into a rant about dealing with remote controls, help yourself.
Dang, what will all the folks who presently cannot live without twiddling their small screened iCruds (and other imitators) do when they start to lose it? Heck, even before then, trying to do it with arthritic finger / thumb joints?

There has to be a better way.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:04 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Dang, what will all the folks who presently cannot live without twiddling their small screened iCruds (and other imitators) do when they start to lose it? Heck, even before then, trying to do it with arthritic finger / thumb joints?
No problem. Siri and Google Voice work great! The more you use them, the better they get at understanding your voice and syntax. They've both adapted to my Texas accent.
Speech recognition technology is improving by leaps and bounds, it won't be long until all the popular apps use it.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:03 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
That's the downside of today's technologies and gadgets. My in-laws don't have a clue how to turn on and operate the TV or any of the accessories. We even labeled each remote with a label maker. They don't read the labels, they just randomly try remotes and press random buttons hoping that a miracle will happen and the TV will turn on. That's clearly a problem for a lot of people that is begging for a solution. I think there's another new gadget that you'll need to control all your other gadgets!

But life is a lot better than it was 50 years ago. Back then the old tube TVs had small screens with big clunky cabinets. There were only 3 or 4 channels. When the commercials came on, there's no mute button. You had get up from your chair and turn down the volume, then get up again when the commercials were over. If you wanted to change channels, you have to get up again. You couldn't surf channels because all 3 or 4 channels had nothing but garbage on them. The TVs back then weren't all that reliable. Once or twice a year, you'd have to call the TV repairman. Today, there isn't a TV repairman.

So, I think life is a lot better today with today's TVs and gadgets, even with the added complexity. I think the complexity issue will be solved in the future. There's money to be made selling another gadget that will fix those problems for people.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:54 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
What's even more ironic is you can hand one of these new-fangled gadgets to a five-year-old and they can work it like a pro. It's almost as though the younger generations are born with the technology instinct.

I'm just grateful I haven't gotten to the point yet where I pick it up and try to call somebody on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement