Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:21 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,552 times

Advertisements

my wife and I were having a vigorous discussion about what constitutes retirement. Our conversation was based in a previous thread where someone posted an article about a couple who "retired" in their early 30's. I just have a hard time with the idea that someone can "retire" from something when they haven't even done for a decade. To me, it cheapens the accomplishments of people who have dedicated their entire adult life to a particular profession or activity.

Based on our subsequent discussion, we relied how hard it is to nail down an exact definition of retirement. Is it retirement when a woman chooses to stop working to stay at home with her children? Is it retirement when a person completes 20 years in the military and then starts another career? Is is retirement when a 62 yo stops working and takes a part-time job (or volunteers full time)? Is it retirement when someone "comes into money" at age 30 and no longer needs to work? I don't know. What is retirement to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 09:04 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
This ends up being a sidebar discussion/debate/argument in several threads. There are official definitions in context, like retiring from the military and receiving a pension, but I think you were right to ask
Quote:
What is retirement to you?
Because it is different things to different people. Some will insist that if you still work part time, you aren't retired. They can really only decide for themselves.

For me it will mean stepping away from my full time job and starting to withdraw funds from my savings to pay bills. I will probably be 63 or more years old. I might work a little more to get some "mad money" but if I do it will be totally on my terms.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:20 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Retirement means I can go fishing whenever I want. I don't have to answer to some moron younger than I am. Oh and no one is trying to kill me.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:33 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Retirement is most often considered the 'fraternity' of folks who worked long careers and then permanently left the workforce. This applies equally to early or later retirees and older workers who are downsized and do not go back to work.

However, in our society, 'labels' are attached willy-nilly to almost anything, to give them an air of legitimacy. Two euphemisms that come to mind are "entitlements" and "retired" applied to those who are simply unemployed or not working. Those who simply don't work or have never really worked and claim to be "retired" ... are like lazy bears who sleep all the time and claim to be 'hibernating.

As you pointed out, there are a number of others who don't really seem to fit the "Retired" category: those independently wealthy enough to not work beyond a young age (ie; ballplayers, actors, inventors, inheritances), those who 'milk' the system rather than work, stay-at-home wives who never worked and perhaps part-time workers who are actually only 'semi-retired.'

At the end of the day, I guess it really doesn't matter what one calls themselves, since 'few things are really as they seem' anyway.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:36 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,925 times
To me (not yet retired but dreaming of it), retirement means your time is your own and doesn't belong to someone else.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:47 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I just have a hard time with the idea that someone can "retire" from something when they haven't even done for a decade. To me, it cheapens the accomplishments of people who have dedicated their entire adult life to a particular profession or activity.
Jealousy is unbecoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
What is retirement to you?
Doing what you want to do, instead of doing what you have to do.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:51 AM

761 posts, read 832,966 times
Re-tirement is putting brand new Goodyears on the car.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:03 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,381,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
To me (not yet retired but dreaming of it), retirement means your time is your own and doesn't belong to someone else.
I agree....and if you work P/T or volunteer, it's because you want to, not need to

Old 10-06-2015, 11:12 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Default What is Retirement?

Doing whatever you wish to do, or not, however much of it you wish to do whenever you choose to do it without having to answer to anyone but yourself and the law unless, of course, you're married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Oh and no one is trying to kill me.
After the military and law enforcement I second this.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:15 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Seeing as how the US didn't have much in the way of retirement in its early days the question would seem to be somewhat late to the party. Since the end of WWll Americans have enjoyed a system wherein the older workers are sent off to enjoy their last years of life doing what they please with younger workers then filling in the empty slots.

Retirement is the stopping of work coupled with the ability to live without that compensation that we normally associate with labor. It really doesn't matter at what age this takes place----some are truly fortunate enough to be young, and retired..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement