Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 11:13 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
We are pretty good at maintaining friendships with folks that have widely different views as ourselves. Many family members in that category.
So are we. If we run into politically incontinent people, I'll usually look away while they talk, then respond by saying that politics are one thing when taken in the designated venues, but sometimes people have to go very badly and seem to do it in public at random. Best kindness I can do is look away so they aren't as embarrassed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 11:25 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
So are we. If we run into politically incontinent people, I'll usually look away while they talk, then respond by saying that politics are one thing when taken in the designated venues, but sometimes people have to go very badly and seem to do it in public at random. Best kindness I can do is look away so they aren't as embarrassed.
That works sometimes but the worst offenders are not embarrassed at all. Looking away when someone speaks to you is extremely disrespectful; I rarely resort to that even if I don't respect what they are doing.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Unless you are a well funded Kindle owner, you might still like a good library. I use the library to get eBooks a lot. If I want to read some popular novels they may not have, Kindle is typically more than twice the price of a good condition copy on the Amazon marketplace, including shipping. Sometimes I even find a new printed copy for less than Kindle, even with shipping.
If you like to collect books and keep them then a kindle may not be for you.
But if you just like to read then a kindle can actually save you money.

ebooks are cheaper than physical books plus there are so many free ebooks out there to keep your reading library full all the time.

I don't collect books so have no need for a good library.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:29 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
We are pretty good at maintaining friendships with folks that have widely different views as ourselves. Many family members in that category.

I actually like being in the minority. I find it a little boring to be around to many like thinking folks............
Yep -- one sister is very right, the other sister is very left and I see myself as in the middle. During one "discussion", I reminded the sister that we had far more in common than not, and instead of dwelling on the differences, we should celebrate our sameness....

Which helped. We moved away from the argument and talked about everything else.

It's not about giving in, giving up, or parting, it's about realizing that no matter what you still really love and care about them.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:39 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you like to collect books and keep them then a kindle may not be for you.
But if you just like to read then a kindle can actually save you money.

ebooks are cheaper than physical books plus there are so many free ebooks out there to keep your reading library full all the time.

I don't collect books so have no need for a good library.
Kindle eBooks are not cheaper than physical books except when they first come out if there is only hardcover. I just hopped over to Amazon to do a quick check to see if they have changed (I remember reading somewhere that they were feeling pressure to drop the prices from readers and pressure not to from publishers) and nearly all popular novels are $9.99 on Kindle and the same price or cheaper for new paperbacks (I am a Prime member). I don't keep a lot of books either; I usually donate or give them away. And I usually don't buy them new; I get used good condition paperbacks in the $5 range delivered.

You are correct about the free eBooks. They are mostly old classics or modern unknown authors but I have found a few gems. It is nice that you can download samples of many titles and read quite a bit before buying. And it is nice that you can check out eBooks without having to drive to the library. But the one thing they don't have going for them is cost for popular titles at least not IME.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:06 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
When I relocated, I was more concerned with the job opportunities and the COL and less about demographics.
We all have our respective criteria, which differ depending on our persuasions and life-circumstances. For instance, a married couple with lots of family-connections may wish to relocate to within driving-distance of family, even if the locale has prevailing cultural vibe inapposite with their own values.

For an affluent child-free single retiree who is looking to marry, cost-of-living (other than statewide capital gains taxes) are unimportant, as are job opportunities or real-estate prices. What matters most is whether in the local culture, he/she has reasonable chances of finding a spouse.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:24 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Post Amazon learns a lot about their customers from the books they read

Another thing I really like about New Hampshire, the transfer station (only the largest cities have garbage pickup, instead you either contract a private service, or take your trash to a central location for processing) usually has a "Still Good" area out of the weather, with has a section for books.

You learn a lot about your neighbors from the books they read, even if you only see the ones they discard.

Quote:
Kindle eBooks are not cheaper than physical books except when they first come out if there is only hardcover. I just hopped over to Amazon to do a quick check to see if they have changed (I remember reading somewhere that they were feeling pressure to drop the prices from readers and pressure not to from publishers) and nearly all popular novels are $9.99 on Kindle and the same price or cheaper for new paperbacks (I am a Prime member).
There's also the "Kindle Lending Library" and of course the ($10/month) Kindle Unlimited subscription. I started the free trial today, so far I've noticed that there's a lot of junk on there, but also many good books by authors I respect. Project Gutenberg offers most of their 50,000 free titles as free Kindle ebooks without DRM. Or if you want recent SF, check out the Baen free library.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:31 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
My spouse and I moved 25 years ago to a state we'd never lived in before and a community that was new to us. We were not part of the dominant religion - and considered ourselves to be California and Wisconsin Democrats respectively.

Now that our work time is almost done - we are giddy with anticipation as we plan to return to California. Mission Accomplished. No pun intended.

And we're not stupid - the place has changed since we moved and you can find all kinds of people there as well..... but we are so very tired of the one size fits all politics and religion.

Because it doesn't.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:46 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Kindle eBooks are not cheaper than physical books except when they first come out if there is only hardcover. I just hopped over to Amazon to do a quick check to see if they have changed (I remember reading somewhere that they were feeling pressure to drop the prices from readers and pressure not to from publishers) and nearly all popular novels are $9.99 on Kindle and the same price or cheaper for new paperbacks (I am a Prime member). I don't keep a lot of books either; I usually donate or give them away. And I usually don't buy them new; I get used good condition paperbacks in the $5 range delivered.

You are correct about the free eBooks. They are mostly old classics or modern unknown authors but I have found a few gems. It is nice that you can download samples of many titles and read quite a bit before buying. And it is nice that you can check out eBooks without having to drive to the library. But the one thing they don't have going for them is cost for popular titles at least not IME.
E Books vs Print versions can often be a choice of lifestyle. If you travel or spend a lot of time on the beach or out doors etc etc etc. E Books make such a big difference. My wife probably reads a lot and keeps books in reserve on her tablet. If we travel she may download five or more to have available. I rarely see people reading paper in public. Lot of E books if you talk to them.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
We all have our respective criteria, which differ depending on our persuasions and life-circumstances. For instance, a married couple with lots of family-connections may wish to relocate to within driving-distance of family, even if the locale has prevailing cultural vibe inapposite with their own values.

For an affluent child-free single retiree who is looking to marry, cost-of-living (other than statewide capital gains taxes) are unimportant, as are job opportunities or real-estate prices. What matters most is whether in the local culture, he/she has reasonable chances of finding a spouse.

Good point. If I were in that position of moving to look for a spouse, I would probably move overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement