Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 10:49 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Although Hillary did say something last night that struck me as true. Women living in poverty. It doesn't effect me but in the old days women were expected to stay home and many did not start working until later in life. They were dependent on the mans income and now social security. Many did not have the control of the money so if the husband did a good job she may be ok but if he didn't do a good job she lives in poverty. Another reason never to be dependent.
You are spot on! I made that point earlier in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My husband and I are retired and we have made sure that we will never be in financial trouble, but my great aunt just died at 100. Her husband died 45 years ago, she never worked (not unusual at the time) She lived on less than $800 a month for many years. Her mortgage was paid off and family members helped her with some of her expenses, but you can hardly blame her for not planning ahead, she grew up in a culture where the husband was supposed to take care of things like saving money..and I'm sure at the time he thought his pension and SS would be adequate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 10:57 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Ummmmm, you either made a typo or want to dump the source that gave you $8086 as an average after tax monthly income. That my friend is over $97K per year. Also this is a retirement forum made up of mostly those at or in retirement. You are a frequent poster here and I would hope you now realize that the concept of debt is a dirty word to many posters and your points are not going to move them much other than many humph being thought.
Just so. If you arrive at retirement with debt and an bunch of payments, you deserve to be broke. If you arrive at retirement with no income but SS, you deserve to be broke.

BTW, the supermarket chatter is bogus. Most people spend far more eating out than they do at the market. Food is less than 9% of the typical American budget, down from 30% in the 1950s. Natural Gas prices are lower than they were 20 years ago. Heating oil prices are rock bottom, with winter coming on. Living really is easy right now. You don't need a COL increase.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:09 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
You really believe that?

Then answer this: why did eggs in California (2000 miles away from the "bird flu") go from $2.49 a dozen to $4.50 a dozen? You can't sell non-California eggs in California, you know. Why, 6 months after the media portrayed mass chicken killing, did eggs FINALLY in my Midwest area, go from $1.79 a dozen to "poof" $3.50 a dozen? Like... 6 months later! Hello? Something look a little weird there?
From last February.

Bird flu strikes second California poultry farm - - Capital Press

Old 10-14-2015, 11:42 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
that is another myth about the cpi . energy costs were never put in or taken out to juggle colas or inflation adjusting on TIPS . they always use the all item index's either cpi-u or cpi -w , not the core index less food and energy .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has the BLS removed food or energy prices in its official measure of inflation?

No. The BLS publishes thousands of CPI indexes each month, including the headline All Items CPI for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) and the CPI-U for All Items Less Food and Energy. The latter series, widely referred to as the "core" CPI, is closely watched by many economic analysts and policymakers under the belief that food and energy prices are volatile and are subject to price shocks that cannot be damped through monetary policy. However, all consumer goods and services, including food and energy, are represented in the headline CPI.

Most importantly, none of the prominent legislated uses of the CPI excludes food and energy. Social security and federal retirement benefits are updated each year for inflation by the All Items CPI for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W). Individual income tax parameters and Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities (TIPS) returns are based on the All Items CPI-U.
If that is the case why did we not see significant COLAs in SS, federal wages, etc during the years in which gas prices at the pump reached well over $4.00/gallon. It sure was not because prices for other consumer goods were lowed commensurately
to give John Q a break.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:06 PM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
can't say without going through the data . i don't know if there was or wasn't a cola increase those years but in any case would energy have not been removed . we only had 3 years in history with no cola's and i don't think that was one of them .

Old 10-14-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
You really believe that?

Then answer this: why did eggs in California (2000 miles away from the "bird flu") go from $2.49 a dozen to $4.50 a dozen? You can't sell non-California eggs in California, you know. Why, 6 months after the media portrayed mass chicken killing, did eggs FINALLY in my Midwest area, go from $1.79 a dozen to "poof" $3.50 a dozen? Like... 6 months later! Hello? Something look a little weird there?
why is it when china sneezes we catch cold ?

answer ! because when markets on something change they move across the board every whre , for whatever reason .

markets do that all day be it commodity markets , stock markets or bond markets .

they react , sometimes correctly and sometimes in correctly but in all cases it has zero to do with current inflation

Old 10-14-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
If that is the case why did we not see significant COLAs in SS, federal wages, etc during the years in which gas prices at the pump reached well over $4.00/gallon. It sure was not because prices for other consumer goods were lowed commensurately
to give John Q a break.

there were only 2 years prior that colas were not given .

2010 didn't get one and was based on 2009 data which had gas and oil plunge along with all commodity's ..

2011 was the other year , based on 2010 data gas was in the 2-3 dollar range and commodity's were still depressed .

all other years the last 40 years had cola adjustments ,.

you are shooting from the hip

Old 10-14-2015, 12:39 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
SSI has nothing to do with SS. SSI is like a federal welfare program for the disabled and elderly who are ineligible for SS. They cut off SSI for Chinese and most other immigrants but left it in place for Cubans, but get this- they don't have to have ever lived in Cuba, they get the goodies just by claiming they have a cuban born parent. Obama must have done this because all Cubans are democrats
Special treatment: U.S. lets immigrants qualify as
The Cuban Adjustment Act predates the Obama by about 43 yrs. The law was signed into law by President Kennedy in 1966 after the failed Bay of Pigs invasion intended to overthrow Batista.

I also don't think the goodies provided by the American taxpayer to anyone who can claim a Cuban parent have continued since 1966 thanks to the Obama either, it's due to the growth of political influence by the sheer numbers of Cubans who have emigrated to the USA, done well in business and influenced the politicians, and have gotten into politics themselves over the years.Many of those Cuban politicians tend to consider their compatriots as their most important constituents, seemingly considering "Cuban issues" including continuation of the embargo against Cuba, the Cuban Adjustment Act as their primary mission for being in office.

The Cuban Adjustment Act has been pretty much a sacred cow in Congress since its enactment, and while folks know about it, it's gone under the radar for years as a given. With the carte blanche currently given by the Obama admistration for illegal immigration by anyone south of our borders with all the goodies they can expect when they get here, IMO it is no surprise that some are taking a second look and speaking out against the Cuban Adjustment Act, especially since the reasons for its continuance are no longer apparent. Or perhaps those immigrants, both legal and illegal want what the Cubans have gotten under this Act and think it should be extended to all immigrants.

And this might surprise you, but most of the Cubans who have emigrated to the US since the 1960's have tended to be politically and socially conservative and many of them have been staunch GOP members. This may have changed among some of those who have emigrated more recently, or who were born here. I recall seeing a group of voters in Miami during the 2012 presidential elections who identified themselves as "Cubans for Obama".

Old 10-14-2015, 01:16 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And this might surprise you, but most of the Cubans who have emigrated to the US since the 1960's have tended to be politically and socially conservative and many of them have been staunch GOP members. This may have changed among some of those who have emigrated more recently, or who were born here. I recall seeing a group of voters in Miami during the 2012 presidential elections who identified themselves as "Cubans for Obama".
I know the history and I know that most vote Republican, I think my attempt a sarcasm must have been too subtle, sorry

Old 10-14-2015, 03:40 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
Quote:
You really believe that?

So can they sell California eggs in Iowa? Because if there was such a huge shortage caused by millions of birds dying in Iowa, its likely California eggs could fill that void. At a higher price.

Higher demand, less product, equals higher price. I learned that in 4th grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement