Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 05:26 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
While I agree with the concept of RTBs point about wages, stagnant for the other 99% for the last 30years is an exaggeration. I graduated from college in 1980, and everyone I know, (maybe in the top 30%) has had wage growth WAY above inflation. Maybe the botton 25-30% saw stagnation...Id like to see some documentation. Definitely a loss of income to SS, but how much of it being thenissue is greatly debateable.
This is a very regional event as the rise in wages has been very locally and region driven. There is good reason for the popularity over the last thirty years of some areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 05:47 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
While I agree with the concept of RTBs point about wages, stagnant for the other 99% for the last 30years is an exaggeration. I graduated from college in 1980, and everyone I know, (maybe in the top 30%) has had wage growth WAY above inflation. Maybe the botton 25-30% saw stagnation...Id like to see some documentation. Definitely a loss of income to SS, but how much of it being thenissue is greatly debateable.
I tried to find some numbers and they are all over the map. I think the source of those original numbers excluded some of the Clinton years when they did rise slightly:
Quote:
The issue of wage stagnation, however, should focus on what the vast majority of workers have been experiencing for most of the post-1979 period. Hourly wages, inflation-adjusted, grew only 0.2 percent annually from 1979 to 2014 and did not grow at all if we exclude the 1995-2000 period. What happens if we add in benefits growth and examine hourly compensation growth? Not much. The growth of the hourly compensation of private-sector production, non-supervisory workers was 0.2 percent annually over the 1979-2014 period and just 0.1 annually if we exclude the 1995-2000 period.
You can add in the benefits, too, but stagnant wages are still stagnant for majority of Americans

That one includes benefits to come up with what has happened to total compensation also:
Quote:
Among the bottom 40 percent of workers there was an even greater decline in compensation than there was in wages, indicating that including benefits as well as wages in an analysis results in a more adverse trends

Old 10-12-2015, 06:12 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In this case though the OP is goading people to post their rants against the government figures.
I don't think he honestly wants to discuss the lack of COLA.
Exactly right.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:30 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
One of the unfortunate realities of retirement is that there are no more raises or promotions. Trying to stay ahead of your own personal cost of living for many is a challenge. There are ways to minimize the dangers but many are unwilling to sacrifice the early retirement years for down the road. Our current low interest rate world doesn't help.
My husband and I are retired and we have made sure that we will never be in financial trouble, but my great aunt just died at 100. Her husband died 45 years ago, she never worked (not unusual at the time) She lived on less than $800 a month for many years. Her mortgage was paid off and family members helped her with some of her expenses, but you can hardly blame her for not planning ahead, she grew up in a culture where the husband was supposed to take care of things like saving money..and I'm sure at the time he thought his pension and SS would be adequate.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:43 PM

One thing to keep in mind on this board is we are undoubtedly skewed. Probably more than half of us were or are in the top 20% of wage earners. My wages have not been stagnant and I am not in the 1%. That does not disprove what I said earlier about stagnant wages. Some people gained ground, some lost and some have been treading water.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:42 AM

154 posts, read 230,407 times
Maybe they are taking into consideration all the Cubans they are now paying who never worked a day in their lives in America, and freely travel back and forth to their home country:
More Cubans immigrating in old age - Sun Sentinel

Old 10-13-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjazz View Post
Maybe they are taking into consideration all the Cubans they are now paying who never worked a day in their lives in America, and freely travel back and forth to their home country:
More Cubans immigrating in old age - Sun Sentinel
Looking at that article, about 7,000 since 2010 and in 2010 the number of new ones was under 500; the majority came in the last 2 years. There are 60,000,000 SS beneficiaries. So roughly 1% of 1% of recipients are elderly Cuban emigrants. No, I don't think they are taking that into consideration, except maybe the candidates who have an aversion to facts and math.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My husband and I are retired and we have made sure that we will never be in financial trouble, but my great aunt just died at 100. Her husband died 45 years ago, she never worked (not unusual at the time) She lived on less than $800 a month for many years. Her mortgage was paid off and family members helped her with some of her expenses, but you can hardly blame her for not planning ahead, she grew up in a culture where the husband was supposed to take care of things like saving money..and I'm sure at the time he thought his pension and SS would be adequate.
There are additional steps folks with pensions and SS need to also do if possible. Having a multiple of 3 or more of annual income invested enables you to use that nest egg as your own personal COLA. As you note once you start to collect your pension or SS your only increases will be a COLA and that over time will erode the buying power of your income. The whole retirement cost model for health care and living is being redone as providers are emerging that will enable you to lock in your retirement cost at a price in the early years that is more expensive but becomes more of a bargain down the road. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Especially for folks with pensions and SS who can guarantee a monthly payment to a continuing care program.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:34 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
There are additional steps folks with pensions and SS need to also do if possible. Having a multiple of 3 or more of annual income invested enables you to use that nest egg as your own personal COLA. As you note once you start to collect your pension or SS your only increases will be a COLA and that over time will erode the buying power of your income. The whole retirement cost model for health care and living is being redone as providers are emerging that will enable you to lock in your retirement cost at a price in the early years that is more expensive but becomes more of a bargain down the road. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Especially for folks with pensions and SS who can guarantee a monthly payment to a continuing care program.
Trust me, my husband and I are doing fine..we both have defined benefit pensions, SS, and a decent investment portfolio. I was referring to my centenarian great aunt who lived in a culture where it would have been considered inappropriate for her to question her husband's financial decisions let alone influence them.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
One thing to keep in mind on this board is we are undoubtedly skewed. Probably more than half of us were or are in the top 20% of wage earners. My wages have not been stagnant and I am not in the 1%. That does not disprove what I said earlier about stagnant wages. Some people gained ground, some lost and some have been treading water.
Bada Bing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement