Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:01 AM

426 posts, read 506,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I found this on the Social Security site:

If your ex-spouse has not applied for retirement benefits, but can qualify for them, you can receive benefits on his or her record if you have been divorced for at least two years.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html

I dont know if the new rules will affect this.
Yes, I don't believe this provision has been affected by the bill under consideration. It is called "independently entitled divorced spouse". I don't think they will mess with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 10:08 AM

426 posts, read 506,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
So the. 6 mo delay us to allow peoplevwho filed and suspended to request the suspension is lifted and benefits flow so the other spouse doesnt lose benefits???

Imagine your mindset if you work with SSA handling claims...
Suicidal I imagine cause all the fear and anger will be directed at person across the desk or on the phone , in all likelihood
Well, not suicidal, but it does drive people like myself to retire. If you are an employee who prides him or herself on helping people, and trying to learn everything to assist others, it just is another "pile on". It was the reduction in staff along with the complexity of the workload that was extremely stressful.

But, I would usually tell people "you have to write your congressperson". "We only administer the law, not make the law."

I will also give this word of caution- changes, like "being a notch baby" - those affected by the change in the SSA comps and COLA's for certain years of birth,- no matter how much lobbying was done, it will never be changed back.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:46 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
Quote:
file and suspend is great for singles too . you can file and suspend anytime after fra and at any point demand a lump sum check .

need a roof, major illness , want to take a world cruise ?

just ask for a retro check going bck to your fra . as a single if you don't do this at fra you have no claim to any past money .
Of course if one needs the money, undoing the suspension is what one might have to do. But if you've waited, more than likely you waited to get a larger check. I believe that if you change you mind and claim the "back payments," your monthly benefit check reverts to the lower amount you would have gotten from the start.

So you wait.....to get 2,000 a month instead of 1,500...but then undo the suspension for the lump sum....get that, but all your checks going forward are the original 1.500.

I know :life happens...but if that's the case you could have just been taking the 1,500 all along.
Emergency funds and savings (like a year's living expenses) should be in place for a roof, world cruise, or illness.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:00 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,314,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
File and suspend IIRC is rather a new invention to SS and was mainly put into place (surprise, surprise) to benefit (mostly) non-working spouses (usually women). Fast forward to 2015 many more women work outside of the home and have SS work records of their own.

F&S is one of the biggest "free lunches" in SS that could generate a nice "extra" sum for some married couples. http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/13/
Yet those forced to collect Social Security at age 62 because they are acting as full-time caregivers for aged family members are given NO break by Congress. That, in spite of a bill that has been introduced unsuccessfully year after year that would stop the financial penalty against those people (usually women and often SINGLE women who already have low lifetime earnings). People who voluntarily do what many praise as "the right thing" by enabling the infirm elderly to remain at home instead of in care receive a lifetime punishment in terms of their future SS payments.

Representative Nita Lowey has introduced her bill yet again this year:
https://lowey.house.gov/media-center...arnings-credit

Old 10-28-2015, 02:15 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
This just caught my eye...I haven't verified it yet.

An original version of the budget deal ended file and suspend in six months for everyone using the strategy. That would have abruptly cut off checks to thousands of retirees, or many more. Today the deal was amended so it affects only retirees who file for benefits in the future, and the change wouldn't go into effect for six months. That means older workers who want to use the strategy could still do so until early next year.

Are You About to Lose $50,000 in Future Social Security Benefits? - Bloomberg Business

Old 10-28-2015, 03:15 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,931,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Of course it will save money.
I wonder if our dear leaders in congress, along with leadership in the white house, will follow and take cuts in their retirement benefit plans?

I am so tired of being treated like a door mat.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:28 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
This just caught my eye...I haven't verified it yet.

An original version of the budget deal ended file and suspend in six months for everyone using the strategy. That would have abruptly cut off checks to thousands of retirees, or many more. Today the deal was amended so it affects only retirees who file for benefits in the future, and the change wouldn't go into effect for six months. That means older workers who want to use the strategy could still do so until early next year.

Are You About to Lose $50,000 in Future Social Security Benefits? - Bloomberg Business
Good link which makes me continue to believe they are undoing something other than what they wanted.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:31 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,931,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Good link which makes me continue to believe they are undoing something other than what they wanted.
I second the good link comment.

Quote:
Today the deal was amended so it affects only retirees who file for benefits in the future, and the change wouldn't go into effect for six months. That means older workers who want to use the strategy could still do so until early next year.
Define "early next year".

What if your wife is turning 66, has an April birthday and her husband is 67?

Old 10-28-2015, 03:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I second the good link comment.

Define "early next year".

What if your wife is turning 66, has an April birthday and her husband is 67?
It would be 6 months after the bill is signed.
And no one can predict when it will be signed.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:59 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Folks, has anyone seen anything to suggest the following is effected:

Spouse A files for Social Security on their own benefit
Spouse B then files for Social Security on Spouses A benefits and defers taking theirs to a later date
Spouse B files for their own benefit at age 70.

There is no filing and suspension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement