Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 11:29 AM

5,332 posts, read 6,029,114 times

Advertisements

The debt limit deal includes a provision to end the option to File and Suspend. It can be found under the section addressing "Closure of Unintended Loopholes".

http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/...PIH-BUDGET.pdf

http://docs.house.gov/meetings/RU/RU...-RU00-D001.pdf

Personally, I don't believe the statute, as written, is clear regarding for whom the various provisions, i.e. dual entitlement, deemed filing and the "file and suspension" apply. Those younger than 62? All new claimants filing 180 days after the enactment?

Nevertheless, the summary found on the House website suggests the "file and suspend" prohibition will be effective for ALL "benefits payable" beginning six months after enactment of the statute.

I can't say I'm surprised. I think if I go back and check my old posts I will find that I predicted that this would happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 11:55 AM

10,614 posts, read 12,147,558 times
We'll have to follow this. That's for sure.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:07 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,802,668 times
Did anyone really think that was an intended practice?

Old 10-27-2015, 12:24 PM

106,793 posts, read 109,039,935 times
i t won't save a dime since many more will just file early and collect . they do benefit from those who die and collect later

Old 10-27-2015, 01:57 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,189,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i t won't save a dime since many more will just file early and collect . they do benefit from those who die and collect later
Of course it will save money.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:21 PM

31,940 posts, read 27,048,330 times
File and suspend IIRC is rather a new invention to SS and was mainly put into place (surprise, surprise) to benefit (mostly) non-working spouses (usually women). Fast forward to 2015 many more women work outside of the home and have SS work records of their own.

F&S is one of the biggest "free lunches" in SS that could generate a nice "extra" sum for some married couples. http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/13/

Old 10-27-2015, 02:24 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,387,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
File and suspend IIRC is rather a new invention to SS and was mainly put into place (surprise, surprise) to benefit (mostly) non-working spouses (usually women). Fast forward to 2015 many more women work outside of the home and have SS work records of their own.

F&S is one of the biggest "free lunches" in SS that could generate a nice "extra" sum for some married couples. http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/13/
Could you post the title of the article so I can google it? That link does not work for me. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:18 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
The debt limit deal includes a provision to end the option to File and Suspend. It can be found under the section addressing "Closure of Unintended Loopholes".

http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/...PIH-BUDGET.pdf

http://docs.house.gov/meetings/RU/RU...-RU00-D001.pdf

Personally, I don't believe the statute, as written, is clear regarding for whom the various provisions, i.e. dual entitlement, deemed filing and the "file and suspension" apply. Those younger than 62? All new claimants filing 180 days after the enactment?

Nevertheless, the summary found on the House website suggests the "file and suspend" prohibition will be effective for ALL "benefits payable" beginning six months after enactment of the statute.

I can't say I'm surprised. I think if I go back and check my old posts I will find that I predicted that this would happen.
I agree there is a tad of ambiguity when actually reading the bill. Using words like loophole can be misleading and inappropriate. When you write very long lengthy bills intending to do so much it is not a loophole for someone to read the bill and apply it in a way you didn't think of. That is why folks have lawyers and accountants to read, interpret and apply and that will continue. The problem with file and suspend was when it went mainstream. How when did congress determine what they wanted people to get in the way of benefits. There are formulas written and applied to economic data that determine. They do determine caps on contributions etc etc. They can change the benefit age etc etc etc. But complex laws are an invite to creative application.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:18 PM

31,940 posts, read 27,048,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Could you post the title of the article so I can google it? That link does not work for me. Thanks.

Sorry, it seems CNBC has taken a page from WSJ.

Try searching "Can File And Suspend Boost Your Social Security Benefits"

Just tried searching Google "News" section and the CNBC article comes up and was able to click onto the link for story.
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/13/can-f...-benefits.html

Old 10-27-2015, 04:32 PM

79 posts, read 81,935 times
Default re: good bye to "File and Suspend"

This is what SS expert Larry Kotlikoff just posted..

Column: Proposed budget bill would have devastating effects on millions' Social Security benefits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement