Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 05:58 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times

Advertisements

I went from 5 newspapers a day 15 years ago and slowly cut down. WSJ was the last survivor and that ended about 4 years ago. That was the hardest one to let go (started it 40+ years ago in college) even though it's quality had dropped like all of the others. Now it is just online reading. I have my list and just click my way through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 06:54 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
For me, Online news sources or cable news...I can't imagine reading a newspaper that is already 24 hours behind the news cycle. Information moves very rapidly these days.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I gave up newspapers years ago, in favor of sitting down with my coffee and computer each morning and beginning here: https://news.google.com/ ...a conglomeration of the top stories, in blurb form, with links to the original sources. If the link takes you to a page requiring a subscription, simply google the title of the story, and that should take you right there. NYT, WSJ, it's all there. And more, from sources you might not have considered.
This is me, but I wait until after a morning walk and coffee; then I do the news on the computer. I live in a foreign country and I do buy the best of the local Sunday papers because their non-news articles are always interesting and it forces me to keep up with the language.

I used to watch the BBC, but it has dumbed down too much for my taste. I do look at the Portuguese news with coffee in a cafe and even though I am too slow to comprehend the audio I can follow the written summary along the bottom of the screen.

I miss the quality newspapers and other news sources of the Fifties through the Seventies, but the advent of the internet and the general dumbing down of the population put those sources on the slippery slope to extinction.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:21 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
I start the morning reading our local paper that is delivered to the house. Then I read the Washington Post on my tablet that I just subscribed to (they offered me 6 months for a $1 so what the hell). Then on my computer, I have my My Yahoo page set up for different news sources: Yahoo News, NPR, CNN, Fox, NBC, ABC, Reuters, & maybe more, not too sure. Then in the evening we watch MSNBC.

Yup, I am a news junkie. The funny thing is, I never used to be. It is all Hubby's fault. He got me into it and the funny thing is, I read more news than he does.

Cat

Old 07-23-2017, 12:21 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
I would love to read a daily paper but where I live in S Florida, the system is just broken down. Print newspapers do exist, but the delivery people get the morning paper to me in midday when I am already at work. I've had to stop getting one. I don't read one on-line, though I google certain local stories to see what's happening.

I like National Public Radio for news. For tabloid coverage, I scan The Huffington Post.

My only print subscriptions are literary: The New Yorker and The Times Literary Supplement.
Regarding your first paragraph about "midday '

I have to give a shout out to my newspaper guy and to a great daily newspaper.......Arkansas Democrat Gazette.
Despite living 130 miles from Little Rock in the Ozarks of north Arkansas, I could set my clock by my newspaper delivery............4:30 AM.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:36 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
I guess that I am a dinosaur as I still like reading newspapers/magazines that are printed instead of online. So I get the local newspaper that comes six days a week, along with Time, Smithsonian, Bloomberg Businessweek, Money and Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazines.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:46 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

Not sure about subscribing to the NY Times since I wouldn't be interested in some of their local news or the society people or even the arts (I am interested in the arts, but not their local arts---would make me too jealous!).

So---all of you of a certain age who also grew up reading the paper---are you still? Alternative sources for getting the news?
When you subscribe to the paper format of the New York Times and have it delivered to your home, you receive the 'local New York' section only if you live in New York City, and probably the tri-state area. (or that's the way it was when I subscribed to the paper format NY Times for a couple decades while living in distant states)

So you need not worry about receiving the 'local New York' section if you live elsewhere. If you did receive the the paper format delivered to your home, the last thing you'd need to worry about is receiving the 'local 'New York' section with it (if you happened to receive it) - there is so much information and fascinating articles in the entire NY Times, receiving one extra section certainly would not be problematic. (and any 'society' news is a very tiny section of the local section as it is barely noticeable; it's not what makes up 99 percent of the content of the 'local' section)

It's not like receiving the 'local New York' section means that the rest of the New York Times is diminished in size or character. It remains the same.

There is no special emphasis on 'local New York' that diminishes the rest of the newspaper -it's a newspaper which is geared toward a national-international perspective.

(when you look at the online version, there is a section called 'New York' which is filled with fascinating articles, but you are free to skip reading it)

I've subscribed to the New York Times for 35+ years. I received the paper format delivered for many years, and now have the online sub instead.

Last edited by matisse12; 07-23-2017 at 01:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement