Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 07:14 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Robyn,

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Vero Beach and the entire "Treasure Coast" area for retirement relocation. What you feel are the pros, cons and future of these towns.

Thx
The Treasure Coast is a fairly large diverse area. Encompassing St. Lucie - Indian River and Martin Counties. There are uber-wealthy coastal communities - poor inland communities - and everything in between.

The biggest con to me of the area in general is it's on the periphery of nowhere (if not the middle). No real metro area to speak of. The closest "metro area" is Palm Beach County. And it's not that close (the Gardens Mall in Palm Beach Gardens is 70 miles from Vero Beach). Not to mention that the traffic in/around Palm Beach County is pretty bad (especially during "the season" - there are tons of snowbirds in the area). When we were considering places to move - we looked in Palm Beach County - but didn't look immediately north of it. Because we didn't want to live in a small town type of place. YMMV. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 08:24 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
What Robyn says is spot on. We lived in Vero Beach for 5 years and it's an oasis unto itself. We found ourselves on the road at least once a week, most weeks twice, driving to W. Palm Beach, Orlando or Melbourne for shopping and good restaurants.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:42 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
My allergies became much worse in Arizona than anywhere else I've ever lived. Other people, too. I would visit there in spring/fall and see how it goes if allergies a big issue. I used the neti pot a lot, but after 4-5 years they lessened in severity for no known reason.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:11 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
What Robyn says is spot on. We lived in Vero Beach for 5 years and it's an oasis unto itself. We found ourselves on the road at least once a week, most weeks twice, driving to W. Palm Beach, Orlando or Melbourne for shopping and good restaurants.
A quick trip advisor search shows 299 restaurants and a fair amount of shopping choices. What exactly was Vero missing for you?

Old 01-13-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
A quick trip advisor search shows 299 restaurants and a fair amount of shopping choices. What exactly was Vero missing for you?
In terms of restaurants - anything that is decent - not fast food or mom/pop or early bird special stuff or open in the off season. In terms of shopping - anything beyond the basics (like Publix).

If you're interested in the area - just spend a month there in August (low season) and another month in January (high season) - and you'll see what we're talking about. If you like your months in August and January - it might perhaps be the right place for you.

Note that the health care in that area is also pretty much nothing. At best - basic primary primary care. Nothing higher end. Robyn

Old 01-13-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
In terms of restaurants - anything that is decent - not fast food or mom/pop or early bird special stuff or open in the off season. In terms of shopping - anything beyond the basics (like Publix).

If you're interested in the area - just spend a month there in August (low season) and another month in January (high season) - and you'll see what we're talking about. If you like your months in August and January - it might perhaps be the right place for you.

Note that the health care in that area is also pretty much nothing. At best - basic primary primary care. Nothing higher end. Robyn
You think maybe down toward Stuart might be a better choice?

Old 01-14-2016, 05:51 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I lived there for 10 years or so. I know all about the electric bills. Actually, depending on how your house is insulated, they won't necessarily be that bad.

Right now, I'm back in the eastern US. I'm sure that, one month this winter, I'll have an electric bill that's $900 or more. One way or another, you pay.
Well God bless you. A $900 electric bell each month and it's no big deal.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
You think maybe down toward Stuart might be a better choice?
The one couple we know who moved up to Stuart did so for the boating/fishing (the area wasn't/isn't cheap but it was cheaper than points south). We're not boaters - so the area didn't interest us. Stuart still isn't just around the corner from Palm Beach County. And - like I mentioned - the traffic is bad. If I was interested in that part of Florida - I'd start looking in parts of Palm Beach County that are closer to things. Now would be a good time to visit if you want to see what things look like "in season".

BTW - it is hard to overestimate the impact of traffic on one's lifestyle in that part of the world. Last time I spent a fair amount of time in the area was in 2005 when my mother was sick/dying. When I tried to get to the Town Center Mall (in Boca Raton) a few times just to break things up - it often took me 45 minutes or more to drive the 10 miles to the mall. Totally nuts. Robyn

Old 01-14-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Parts of Vero Beach and the surrounding area are very very nice. But - like you say - they're more of an oasis/enclave (with a lot of wealthy snow birds - Some Treasure Coast celebrities, billionaires see home values decline, few spike). We know a golf pro who works at a high end golf club there during the season (he got an offer he couldn't refuse). This one:

Orchid Island Golf and Beach Club | Luxury Real Estate | Vero Beach Florida

He commutes from where we live (it's a heck of a lot of driving!). He tells us the place is a ghost town in the summer. And he has kids in school and likes the schools here better than those down there. Robyn

Old 01-14-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The one couple we know who moved up to Stuart did so for the boating/fishing (the area wasn't/isn't cheap but it was cheaper than points south). We're not boaters - so the area didn't interest us. Stuart still isn't just around the corner from Palm Beach County. And - like I mentioned - the traffic is bad. If I was interested in that part of Florida - I'd start looking in parts of Palm Beach County that are closer to things. Now would be a good time to visit if you want to see what things look like "in season".

BTW - it is hard to overestimate the impact of traffic on one's lifestyle in that part of the world. Last time I spent a fair amount of time in the area was in 2005 when my mother was sick/dying. When I tried to get to the Town Center Mall (in Boca Raton) a few times just to break things up - it often took me 45 minutes or more to drive the 10 miles to the mall. Totally nuts. Robyn
I guess it's a balance or trade of to find a place that has adaquate services, restaurants and shopping that is away from the crowds, traffic and crime. Maybe I'm like most that would err on the side of giving up some features of a "metro" area for some peace and quiet without being too isolated. I would think in retirement most people are done with the rat race. The quest continues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement