Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 07:20 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times

Advertisements

I've never used Amazon...
What is amazon Prime?
What does $35.00 have to do with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 07:56 AM

896 posts, read 1,140,273 times
Thank you! Our membership is up for renewal on the 24th of this month, and they let us renew under this special. We accomplished this via live chat.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:05 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Thanks for posting, yellowsnow. We already subscribe, but Amazon refunded us the difference to reward our loyalty. It's only $26, but still.
I called this morning - and got the same refund. $26 is $26. Will pay for lunch today . It's always smart business IMO to reward your loyal customers. Robyn

Old 01-16-2016, 08:08 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
What is amazon Prime?
//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...zon-prime.html

Robyn

Old 01-16-2016, 04:00 PM

361 posts, read 737,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
... all earlier seasons of Downton Abbey ...
Be still my heart!

Old 01-16-2016, 04:25 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Now that there are TWO Amazon Prime threads - which is SHOPPING!! I could start a thread on nail polish I guess, since some retired folks wear it, LOL
Exactly. I get that some retired folks are interested in Amazon Prime. But so are lots of other people, such as parents, teachers, and college students. I have an idea! Let's start a couple of clone Amazon Prime threads in the Parenting and Education Forum, since some parents, students, and teachers might be interested

Old 01-16-2016, 04:34 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
LOL - one of my pet peeves on CD is more than one thread on the same subject.

However, THAT SAID - thank you for this!! Had you attached the post to the Amazon thread, I might not have opened it.

AmazonPrime has lots of videos I have on videotape (w/no working player) which I can't get on Netflix. Free shipping isn't a biggee w/me b/c if I buy from Amazon it's always over $35, but the 'lost' videos are - like Out of Africa - which always reduces me to tears and which I haven't seen for years; or "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps" or "China Syndrome" or "The Sopranos" or all earlier seasons of Downton Abbey, all seasons of Foyle's War , etc., etc.

For all of that, I think I can handle $6/mo. Dropped my Acorn. AP looks to be so much better.

Thanks again.

I also am a movie buff. I have been replacing my very large VHS collection with DVDs - use Amazon and also Ebay. Ebay has both new and used and although I have only purchased about 6 used, they have all been in excellent shape. You have to watch both the selling price and the shipping charge but you can get some good deals, especially if it is a bidding situation. I am selling 200+ VHS.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:04 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
What is amazon Prime?
Free shipping.

Without Amazon Prime membership, orders under $35 pay shipping. Joining Amazon Prime ($99/yr; now on sale at $73) provides free shipping no matter order amount - and access to many free videos for online streaming. Library isn't nearly as extensive as Netflix, but it is different.

I don't shop a lot on Amazon but have found, oddly enough, some grocery items like organic soups and paper toweling which I always buy in bulk anyway - much less expensive than in the grocery store. A couple months back I bought three cases of soup - at 33% less than my organic store. And, then, my Amex card gave me $15 cashback on the Amazon order. So, instead of paying $3.69/can, cost was $2. Can't beat that. Also, almond butter - price of which is getting way too high - is cheaper on Amazon.

Joined Amazon Prime last night b/c of the sale - and access to videos I can't get on Netflix. I'll know in a year if it's worth renewing. Did watch last night "An Unfinished Life" with Robert Redford, JoLo, Josh Lucas, Morgan Freeman - AND - Bart the Bear (lol) - very enjoyable film, much better than I expected.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-16-2016 at 05:13 PM..

Old 01-16-2016, 05:20 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Thanks for posting, yellowsnow. We already subscribe, but Amazon refunded us the difference to reward our loyalty. It's only $26, but still.
Did you call them to ask if you could get a refund? I'm a Prime member. The notice on the page says "for new members only."

Last edited by bpollen; 01-16-2016 at 05:31 PM..

Old 01-16-2016, 05:27 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Free shipping.

Without Amazon Prime membership, orders under $35 pay shipping. Joining Amazon Prime ($99/yr; now on sale at $73) provides free shipping no matter order amount - and access to many free videos for online streaming. Library isn't nearly as extensive as Netflix, but it is different.

I don't shop a lot on Amazon but have found, oddly enough, some grocery items like organic soups and paper toweling which I always buy in bulk anyway - much less expensive than in the grocery store. A couple months back I bought three cases of soup - at 33% less than my organic store. And, then, my Amex card gave me $15 cashback on the Amazon order. So, instead of paying $3.69/can, cost was $2. Can't beat that. Also, almond butter - price of which is getting way too high - is cheaper on Amazon.

Joined Amazon Prime last night b/c of the sale - and access to videos I can't get on Netflix. I'll know in a year if it's worth renewing. Did watch last night "An Unfinished Life" with Robert Redford, JoLo, Josh Lucas, Morgan Freeman - AND - Bart the Bear (lol) - very enjoyable film, much better than I expected.
Well, that's the sales pitch. But that's not really the case. When you look at an item's "Prime" price, click on the button that says "other sellers" to see the same item for sale by other sellers, not for Prime. Every time I've checked it out last year, the price was like this:

"Prime" item is $14.00 "free shipping." If you click on the "other sellers" button to see other sellers selling that item, their price will be $10.00 + $4.00 shipping. Same price.

Prime USED TO be free shipping, but shipping costs got out of hand, so Amazon raised the Prime prices to cover the shipping charges.

I'm a Prime member for the streaming programs. It doesn't provide me any benefit for the shopping part, even though I buy regularly from Amazon.

The Prime shipping may be a little faster, though. Not sure. But I'm not concerned about fast shipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement