Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times

Advertisements

Here's some more college towns to check out:

The 10 Most Liberal, Forward-Thinking College Towns In America - ZoomTens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 04:28 AM

6,587 posts, read 7,097,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That entire list is miss named. Those are not towns. They are all in cities every last one of them. I was expecting to see Clemson SC on that list. That is a town. I never been there but the entire population of under 14k really shows it to be a town. Instead we are treated to Austin TX, Boulder CO, Cambridge MA and more.

Sorry HappyTexan. I am not blaming you. They are all good places to live and study and some with a huge selection of colleges and universities to choose from.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:02 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,081,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaran View Post
My husband and I are retired health care providers. We are looking to move to a progressive small city (under 60,000 if possible) and probably would prefer a college town. I would like water nearby. Would like to move back east from Las Vegas because of family. I miss having wild life here in Las Vegas (except for the human wild life!) so I would greatly favor a more natural setting where there is animal wild life. Health care facilities would also be important. We would like to have near-by resources. Anybody else in this process?
Although Providence R.I. has a population of around 179,000, the surrounding communities may be areas you should look at. Providence is home to Brown University, Johnson & Wales University, Providence College, R.I. College, Rhode Island School of Design, and satellite campuses of the University of R.I. and the Community College of R.I. Providence is also home to R.I. Hospital which is a level I trauma center, Miriam Hospital, Roger Williams Medical Center, Womens & Infants Hospital, Hasbro Children's Hospital, and the VA Hospital where I work as an R.N. which all are Brown teaching hospitals except RWMC which is affiliated with Boston University. Providence is a deep water seaport, and you are within 1/2 hour to 40 minute ride to the Atlantic Ocean beaches and a 20 minute ride to bay beaches. You would also be about a 20 minute ride to T.F. Green Airport, and 1 hour or less to Boston Logan Airport. Providence has a very lively arts and sports scene, and many many fine restaurants. If you want a little more rural but only a 15 minute ride to Providence, Rehoboth, MA is a community you should look at which is filled with farms and large wooded home sites.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:20 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,615,471 times
I had some of the best years of my life in Iowa City, of course I was in my 20s & single & that undoubtedly colors things but it was a very nice place with enough culture & social opportunities to keep one occupied.

I also lived for a short time in Madison WI & that has a lot to offer what with the University & the state capitol & all the lakes (it's an isthmus) & bike trails. Even the severe winters weren't terrible with all the things to do & Milwaukee only a short drive away.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:19 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,400,524 times
Progressive college town.......yuck.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:23 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,795,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaran View Post
My husband and I are retired health care providers. We are looking to move to a progressive small city (under 60,000 if possible) and probably would prefer a college town. I would like water nearby. Would like to move back east from Las Vegas because of family. I miss having wild life here in Las Vegas (except for the human wild life!) so I would greatly favor a more natural setting where there is animal wild life. Health care facilities would also be important. We would like to have near-by resources. Anybody else in this process?
Eugene OR. Liberal bastion of hell...

Old 02-18-2016, 10:41 AM

628 posts, read 1,316,722 times
Back east with water nearby and progressive.....many options available. You might want to check out Gainesville Florida. It has the Univ of Florida; 45,000+ students. It is 1 hr from the Atlantic Ocean and 1 hr from the Gulf of Mexico. Outstanding health care in Shands Medical Center. Hot in summer and nice in winter. Reasonable real estate. Incredible wildlife and outdoor activities.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:44 PM

260 posts, read 234,838 times
Plenty of seniors live in State College PA!

It is frequently on lists of top retirement places within certain population size.

There are quite a number of age qualified communities in the town.

I lived in Ithaca NY for many years . It is beautiful in the summer but centrally isolated year around!

Old 02-18-2016, 03:49 PM

7,193 posts, read 9,335,600 times
Consider Lawrence Kansas.

It's affordable and there are lakes in the area. The town is actually hilly and has lots of trees. This is the site of the KU Jayhawks.

My daughter went there to college and I was impressed with the area.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:31 AM

2,021 posts, read 3,199,620 times
One of my daughters went to KU in Lawrence and I really like the campus/town/area there. My other daughter went to UI in Iowa City (Hawkeyes) and I'm a little biased as I work there also. Both areas have nice lakes, but I give the edge to Iowa City with an abundance of rivers and is more lush. KU is closer to a large metro though (KC), while UI is 2-1/2 to 3 hours from Chicago and 1 hour from Des Moines. UIHC is also a public teaching hospital for medical and dental, and is expanding further in the city and surrounding communities. The VA Hospital is located next to UIHC. There are many surrounding communities where the COL is lower than Iowa City.

Last edited by smpliving; 02-19-2016 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement