Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 03:42 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Perry - God bless your heart, I didn't bring up your dad's life style - you did, so it is fair game. I can only go by the picture you painted. And if you think it admirable for a fella to sponge off a lonely, twice widowed women, move into her house, etc, well, that's your choice. I used to live in Florida and knew several men and several women who, like your dad, felt no remorse in taking advantage of someone because they were lonely. I was not raised that way.

I'd be interested in what other posters think of this living arrangement.

BTW, does your shoulder still hurt?
Wow thats quite a leap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 03:58 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That first story was just too sad. How could a 79-year-old woman in such dire circumstances not qualify for assistance?

She appears to have an affinity for the life of a nomad, along with a few other eccentricities. Nonetheless, it's sad. And the thought of that woman belittling her because of her job made me sick.
I (at least partially) determined why she was ineligible for SNAP (food stamp) benefits. Unlike a house, the RV is considered a countable asset. If the RV is valued greater than $3000, she is ineligible for benefits. In addition, most SNAP applicants can claim housing deductions from their income, i.e. rent or mortgage, homeowner's insurance, property taxes, utility expenses greater than a certain amount, etc. She would lose most, if not all, of these deductions from her income as well.

It seems that if you have a modest income, you need to plan ahead to qualify for benefits, just as those with higher incomes plan ahead to qualify for Medicaid. All of this planning makes my head spin.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:40 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
russlancea: quote:"There is no risk to call them. You don't have to sign up until you hear the negotiated payment. One reviewer said Debtwave got rid of the interest charges. If you are only making minimum payments, the interest will keep you chained forever.

I mentioned this before, but is there anyway you can cut your spending? I seriously did not dine out, buy clothes or buy Christmas presents while in debt. Don't even shop garage sales or the GoodWill. Every dollar saved will help pay for that $50/month charge ."

Of course I have cut back in my spending. I know for now it is the only way I can do it. I pay my bills every month on time and there is very little "extra" to spend, and most of it goes toward food, etc. from the grocery store.

I have a call into American Credit Counseling. Due to my own illness and then learning of a friend's death, I have not been able to have a conversation with them. I plan to do so very soon.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:41 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
I can well understand two older folks (actually any age) "throwing in together" to make life more comfortable for the both of them. Fortunately I do not have to for economic reasons so the other would have to bring one he!! of a lot for me to consider doing such.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:58 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Perry - God bless your heart, I didn't bring up your dad's life style - you did, so it is fair game. I can only go by the picture you painted. And if you think it admirable for a fella to sponge off a lonely, twice widowed women, move into her house, etc, well, that's your choice. I used to live in Florida and knew several men and several women who, like your dad, felt no remorse in taking advantage of someone because they were lonely. I was not raised that way.

I'd be interested in what other posters think of this living arrangement.

BTW, does your shoulder still hurt?
You must be kidding! Lots of couples get together later in life and if it helps the finances, what of it? Married couples get that advantage so why not if it happens later in life? There was nothing in the story to indicate anyone was taking advantage of anyone.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:46 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
%. I would imagine that more than half of people age 50 today will work until they can't work and then hope the safety net will be there for them. There will be millions of people looking for low income elderly housing units that do not exist.
The August 2014 issue of Harpers magazine had an article "The End of Retirement". It seems that a fair number of old people are working as migrant workers.

As for housing, I have to wonder if many people will end up in some sort of austere communal setting.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:03 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
The August 2014 issue of Harpers magazine had an article "The End of Retirement". It seems that a fair number of old people are working as migrant workers.

As for housing, I have to wonder if many people will end up in some sort of austere communal setting.
I follow a facebook page about the beet harvest in North Dakota. We did a project at Grand Forks AFB one year and was fascinated about the sugar beets grown up there and how people would flock to work the harvest.

The page says you can make up to 2400 in two weeks. They advertise to RVers and have camp spaces are reserved weeks in advance.

I was married to an Iowa farm boy and his family grew corn. I remember the first thing his brother did in the morning was listen to the corn price reports on the radio. Same thing with the beets - the daily news would talk about the sugar content of the harvest for the day. My ancestors farmed in Mexico, so its in the blood and it intrigues me. I garden year round. No flowers - if you can't eat it, why grow it!

Well, I haven't tried eating flowers yet.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:11 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I follow a facebook page about the beet harvest in North Dakota. We did a project at Grand Forks AFB one year and was fascinated about the sugar beets grown up there and how people would flock to work the harvest.

The page says you can make up to 2400 in two weeks. They advertise to RVers and have camp spaces are reserved weeks in advance.

I was married to an Iowa farm boy and his family grew corn. I remember the first thing his brother did in the morning was listen to the corn price reports on the radio. Same thing with the beets - the daily news would talk about the sugar content of the harvest for the day. My ancestors farmed in Mexico, so its in the blood and it intrigues me. I garden year round. No flowers - if you can't eat it, why grow it!

You just can't beat a job like that

Old 02-13-2016, 01:14 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You must be kidding! Lots of couples get together later in life and if it helps the finances, what of it? Married couples get that advantage so why not if it happens later in life? There was nothing in the story to indicate anyone was taking advantage of anyone.
Perhaps I need to find a woman in good financial shape that would be interested in contributing 'cash for a clunker' like me.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:25 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

When I lived in Iowa, my mother had a combination vegetable/flower garden in the back yard. The vegetables were tasty, and the flowers added a little charm to her efforts.

The rest of the back yard we used as grazing land for the guinea pigs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement