Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 01:33 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,512 times

Advertisements

I love to cruise, love to take the grandkids. We have been cruising about every other year and we usually bring our disabled son and one or two grandkids with us. At a family gathering, our plans for cruising was brought up. somehow the kids got into their heads that we will take 2 grandkids on each one of the 2 or 3 [probably 2] cruises we take each year. We had decided that once a year we would take a geand child or 2, but that is all. we just cannot afford it. so, the kids came up with a plan that we would only cruise once ev ery year or year and a half and take all of the kids and grandkids with us. they talked to my husband about it and he said that would probably be alright but that he would have to ask me about it.

I do not want to do this. And I do not want to go on less vacations, that was an important part of the retirement plan. I do not want the kids to think that I am mean or greedy or unfair. I adore them. I do not know why my husband told them that it was fine with him if the kids always come with us and we cruise less, because he told me that he absolutely does not want to do that. he said he only told them that so that they would not be angry. so, now they are all upset with me.

I need to say that my husband is so good, and kind, and loving and hard working. He is wonderful. but he as always had trouble using his backbone. what shall I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 01:50 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Ask the kids parents to chip in and keep doing the vacations that he wants!

Old 02-04-2016, 01:51 PM

241 posts, read 272,722 times
Wow. No kids here so not qualified to respond, so take with a grain of salt.

"So they would not be angry" part really disturbs me. What you are doing for them already is great. that and you need to be true to what makes you guys happy and sane.

I say if they are going to be angry, so be it. They will get over it. You guys needs to do wha tis good for you.

Now let's hear what others with more "cred" have to say.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:53 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
There's no need to have a family discussion about it.

You and DH just continue to plan your cruises as usual, doing them exactly how the two of you want. Invite a family member or not, as it pleases you. If someone says "but but but I thought ...", smile sweetly and say "your dad & I planned this trip together, it's what we want to do".

Rinse and repeat as needed for every cruise you take.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post

You and DH just continue to plan your cruises as usual, doing them exactly how the two of you want. Invite a family member or not, as it pleases you. If someone says "but but but I thought ...", smile sweetly and say "your dad & I planned this trip together, it's what we want to do".

I agree. Take family cruises when the kids can afford to pay their own fares.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:46 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Since you said your hubby does not have a backbone, you will have to use yours.

You & hubby decide how you want to spend your vacations, where you want to go and how many, if any, grands you want to take. Then do so.

If family questions you, simply tell them that is what we can afford and this is how much energy we can expand. Remind them you also have a disabled son to take care of on trips. Ignore any whining, resentment, etc. Your life, your money , your time. Set up the boundaries and keep them in place. Be consistent and firm in your response or you will be run over by family looking to use you.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
I love to cruise, love to take the grandkids. We have been cruising about every other year and we usually bring our disabled son and one or two grandkids with us. At a family gathering, our plans for cruising was brought up. somehow the kids got into their heads that we will take 2 grandkids on each one of the 2 or 3 [probably 2] cruises we take each year. We had decided that once a year we would take a geand child or 2, but that is all. we just cannot afford it. so, the kids came up with a plan that we would only cruise once ev ery year or year and a half and take all of the kids and grandkids with us. they talked to my husband about it and he said that would probably be alright but that he would have to ask me about it.

I do not want to do this. And I do not want to go on less vacations, that was an important part of the retirement plan. I do not want the kids to think that I am mean or greedy or unfair. I adore them. I do not know why my husband told them that it was fine with him if the kids always come with us and we cruise less, because he told me that he absolutely does not want to do that. he said he only told them that so that they would not be angry. so, now they are all upset with me.

I need to say that my husband is so good, and kind, and loving and hard working. He is wonderful. but he as always had trouble using his backbone. what shall I do?
If you are taking a disabled son, I think you would have your hands full with other kids. This is on a ship, in the middle of the ocean. I wouldn't take grandkids, because I would feel concern about their wherebouts and safety all the time. I don't think you should bow to your kids' plans and reduce the thing you like to do--which is to take cruises.

Go back to your original plan, or simply stop taking grandkids with you. Keep your preferred schedule. Talk to your DH and make sure he agrees with you. Then put up a united front.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:32 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Biscuitmom nailed it.

The decision has been made and there is nothing left to discuss. Done!

Old 02-04-2016, 08:02 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Since you said your hubby does not have a backbone, you will have to use yours.

You & hubby decide how you want to spend your vacations, where you want to go and how many, if any, grands you want to take. Then do so.

If family questions you, simply tell them that is what we can afford and this is how much energy we can expand. Remind them you also have a disabled son to take care of on trips. Ignore any whining, resentment, etc. Your life, your money , your time. Set up the boundaries and keep them in place. Be consistent and firm in your response or you will be run over by family looking to use you.

Great posts.

As a parent I can not even imagine deciding for my parents or in-laws that they will take our children with them without them specifically inviting them. Demanding that they take grandchildren along and demanding that they change their retirement plans to do that. That is ridiculous!

And a grandparent I would be shocked if my children decided to who would be going on a vacation with me and my husband. And, I would refuse.

Your kids are out of line and you need to set boundaries and stick to them.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post

Sounds like your kids planned a annual cruise for everyone that you will pay for.

Tell your kids you cannot afford to pay for them but that they are more than welcome to come along on the cruise with their kids and pay their own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement