Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 03:04 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,612,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I haven't, many old people don't have computers or have one but barely use it. Or they shun Facebook, I go on it rarely myself, or they have every privacy turned on, or you can't remember how to spell their last name.
Some people call themselves something other than their real names, so people can't find them and access personal information.

I have a FB account with nothing in it because I had to have a FB account to join my neighborhood's crime watch FB page. I don't use that account for anything else, and have no personal info on it.

I have a FB account with a false name I use for general purposes. Again, I have no personal info on it or any indication of my real name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 03:58 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,072,874 times
Yes! I have found quite a few. I was moved around a lot as a child and lost touch with a bunch of friends. Thanks to FB I was able to reconnect with them. It was very interesting to find out what they were up to and had done with their lives.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:24 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Im not retired, very shortly though . . . I resisted FaceBook to the end. But, I did look for people or 'spy' on them using my Wife's account. One thing that was hard for me is, I found people I thought I had a very deep and meaningful relationship with. These people meant a lot to me. I will always remember them and the great times we had. So, it was very hurtful--totally a "me" issue--when I found out they didn't see the relationship as meaningful as I did. Upon contact, they were lukewarm if they even bothered to write back. So now, I just let the past stay in the past and remember it for what it was. I won't bother people anymore. If you look for people, be prepared for possible unpleasant response

That did happen to me with one person. This gal was one of my best friends in high school, we double dated all the time and had 'sleep overs', etc.. I was a little hurt that she didn't even remember me! At first I thought it was because my name is completely different than back then but I guess not. Oh well.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:44 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,299,822 times
Yes, I have found lots of long lost friends from college, or they have found me, on Facebook - including old roommates and old boyfriends.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:44 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,360,237 times
Yes. Very dear friends.

AND my sweetie. We were in the same Marine squadron in the early 80's. There's a squadron fb page. That's where we were reminiscing about the plane that crashed into the base chapel during an air show.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:40 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,631,692 times
Don't do Facebook, too invasive.
I have found two of my major loves on Classmates.com,,,,,and fireworks and some trouble with wives ensued.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:34 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,562,543 times
I am in my late 50's. I found an old friend on Facebook that I lived next door to when I was in grade 7. We chummed around together when we were kids.

We emailed a few times and have mutually lost touch again. We just wanted to know how our lives were going, but have nothing in common now. That's fine with me (an obviously him too). I was just curious and so was he.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:35 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,960,878 times
I have found Facebook to be about the best way to " connect" internet or otherwise. It's very personal, or as personal as you want it too be. It's got me in touch with my long lost Son with who we never were close, still not, but there IS some dialog., better than nothing.
I also this past year friended a classmate I had not seen in 55 years., we talk daily now. There have been several more contacts from my past girlfriends and classmates, all good encounters.......now if I could only find a couple of old wives, short hot relationships from 40 years ago..........

Old 02-12-2016, 01:57 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,063,459 times
Oh, often!.......but of course, that is what I do. I found people before FB was popular. Part of it comes from having a great memory of what they were like and using that for entering keywords.

It doesn't always work.....but often enough.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:10 PM

13 posts, read 10,369 times
I recently reconnected on Facebook with a good friend of mine that I hadn't heard from in years. It took a while to sift through all the people with that name but worth it when I finally found him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement