Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 11:17 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, they've figured it out right. The vegetables they offer are the type that don't spoil--root vegetables, brussels sprouts, etc. The menus are interesting, healthy, and varied. I still think it's a good intro to cooking for people who need to learn how to cook. It includes ideas for what to eat, directions for how to prepare it, and it saves you the trouble of grocery shopping.

It sure beats eating out--which is a concept I don't understand anyway except for every once in a while. If it will get young people to stop all this fast food and restaurant eating, that's a good thing. They'll be eating healthier and they'll be learning how to cook.

I can also see where it could come in handy when you are really stressed out from working too much. That's not a retirement issue though; most of us have plenty of time to plan and cook if we want to.

I'd like some kind of food that didn't even need preparation at all for when I'm sick. Not take out junk but actual food. Also for the very elderly, that kind of meal would be useful.
Blue Apron uses what's in season. My mother got vegetables like corn on the cob ( which she was then supposed to cut off the cob and roast~ too much for her) and tomatoes.

I've sent from this site several times to people recovering from illness. It isn't cheap, but it was very well received:

https://www.grandmaschickensoup.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 11:41 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
In my last Sunday newspaper, Schwans has an ad selling $200 worth of food for $50. Mostly meat.

Blue Apron forces people to give their email address to see prices and even then a person doesn't know exactly what the cost is because there's a $10. discount on first purchase, but it doesn't tell if that's off the listed price or what.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
In my last Sunday newspaper, Schwans has an ad selling $200 worth of food for $50. Mostly meat.

Blue Apron forces people to give their email address to see prices and even then a person doesn't know exactly what the cost is because there's a $10. discount on first purchase, but it doesn't tell if that's off the listed price or what.
Son #1 used Blue Apron, and got a code for a free week, which he sent to son #2, who also got a free week, which went to Grandma. It would be a shame if they stopped offering that, it was a good way to try it without committing to anything.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:25 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Son #1 used Blue Apron, and got a code for a free week, which he sent to son #2, who also got a free week, which went to Grandma. It would be a shame if they stopped offering that, it was a good way to try it without committing to anything.
For me, it was $10 off the cost.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:35 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
The idea sounded intriguing to me, because as a single I can't get quantities small enough that I don't end up wasting food. So the first thing that bothered me is that there's no "single" plan -- the smallest is two-person. And then the MEALS!! NOTHING looked appetizing to me -- pretzel burgers??? Chicken curry??? Spicy shrimp spaghetti with cabbage??? These are not things I would order in a restaurant, much less cook at home. I guess I will continue to make do with rotisserie chickens, frozen veggies and rice or potatoes, or perhaps a take-out meal from Fresh Market. As I've gotten older, I'm eating less (but gaining more!) and I realize the things I'm eating in the morning are not nutritious, so at least for dinner I try to eat a balanced meal.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:01 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
The idea sounded intriguing to me, because as a single I can't get quantities small enough that I don't end up wasting food. So the first thing that bothered me is that there's no "single" plan -- the smallest is two-person. And then the MEALS!! NOTHING looked appetizing to me -- pretzel burgers??? Chicken curry??? Spicy shrimp spaghetti with cabbage??? These are not things I would order in a restaurant, much less cook at home. I guess I will continue to make do with rotisserie chickens, frozen veggies and rice or potatoes, or perhaps a take-out meal from Fresh Market. As I've gotten older, I'm eating less (but gaining more!) and I realize the things I'm eating in the morning are not nutritious, so at least for dinner I try to eat a balanced meal.
I noticed that too. When I was single, cooking and buying single amounts of groceries was very difficult for me.

The Blue Apron recipes intrigued me though, it's the kind of food I like. So yesterday I cooked their Roasted butternut squash (with white beans, brussels sprouts, some kind of parsley mixture, etc. etc. etc.) MAN oh MAN, it was EXHAUSTING. I really worked up a sweat!

I happened to have all the ingredients on hand, even the Madras curry powder! I just had to buy the squash. I bought an already peeled and cut squash and cannot imagine an older person struggling to peel and cut the squash and THEN do all the rest of the preparation. I was exhausted just from roasting it, making the special sauce (chopping up onion, baby carrots, parsley, white beans and sauteeing, etc.) THAT was just for the vegetable part! I could have used the food processor but still...)

It did look very nice when it was done. However I also needed to cook some chicken so we'd have some meat and thank goodness I had some leftover rice in the fridge because even with all that work, this was not a meal. It was just a fancy but healthy portion of vegetables.

I think there must be better sites for older people. This site would be great for a young married couple, learning to cook, wanting to impress company (or each other.)

Old 02-14-2016, 09:07 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Yes, eating single is tough. But I've learned that the key is to be okay with leftovers. Do you want to cook a couple times a week and freeze the leftovers or do you want to cook EVERY SINGLE DAY? Even couples have trouble finding small enough portions...you need to do more soups, stews, casseroles, etc. etc.

The dishes are "fancy" because no one is going to pay $10-$12 a serving for meatloaf or tuna casserole - they can do THAT themselves. And yes, those dishes make good leftovers!

Old 02-14-2016, 09:26 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I've sent from this site several times to people recovering from illness. It isn't cheap, but it was very well received:

https://www.grandmaschickensoup.com/
$30 for a jar of chicken soup?

Old 02-14-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
$30 for a jar of chicken soup?
I did say it wasn't cheap! It's something different from the standard get-well bouquet though, and very appreciated by grandparents and college boys alike .

Old 02-14-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I noticed that too. When I was single, cooking and buying single amounts of groceries was very difficult for me.

The Blue Apron recipes intrigued me though, it's the kind of food I like. So yesterday I cooked their Roasted butternut squash (with white beans, brussels sprouts, some kind of parsley mixture, etc. etc. etc.) MAN oh MAN, it was EXHAUSTING. I really worked up a sweat!

I happened to have all the ingredients on hand, even the Madras curry powder! I just had to buy the squash. I bought an already peeled and cut squash and cannot imagine an older person struggling to peel and cut the squash and THEN do all the rest of the preparation. I was exhausted just from roasting it, making the special sauce (chopping up onion, baby carrots, parsley, white beans and sauteeing, etc.) THAT was just for the vegetable part! I could have used the food processor but still...)

It did look very nice when it was done. However I also needed to cook some chicken so we'd have some meat and thank goodness I had some leftover rice in the fridge because even with all that work, this was not a meal. It was just a fancy but healthy portion of vegetables.

I think there must be better sites for older people. This site would be great for a young married couple, learning to cook, wanting to impress company (or each other.)
That's, unfortunately the same reaction my mother had. I thought the prep might be a positive, in that it gave her something to do. She always enjoyed cooking. But, it really was just too much.

eta: I know people who insist on organic, and have signed up for another option called Green Chef. It's actually more expensive than Blue Apron, but it does claim dinner can be ready in 20-30 minutes.

Last edited by Mattie; 02-14-2016 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement